Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 106775 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 08:36:13 »

I thought we were going to try and sign Adebayo on a perm in January a la Anderson.

Be a bit of a coup, that. Sometime down the line he’s going to make big bucks.

It was mentioned.... can't see it. These days a Prem club probably wouldn't even start to talk for less than a mill.

Keshi was a bit different, as he didn't really look much good, just potential, which remains the case. Bayo does look a player.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 08:38:17 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 08:49:10 »

Excellent view on how we are shaping up, DV

I accept that, in the real world, there are many better ways to spend a Saturday afternoon than at the County Ground.

However, even if we are showing no real ambition as a club, you have noted that there is a more determined, gutsy attitude with increased application. And that there is some talent.

Try coming along.

Its the difference between a customer and a fan I think.

I know we're shit and will always be shit but I've been going long enough that I have an affection that will never fade. It's over an hour drive for me now but I still do most home games. I honestly can't think of many better ways to spend my Saturdays than with my mates watching footy to be honest.

As for shaping up, I think we'll be okay. Got a good chance of going up I feel, but it's too early to really tell.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #32 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 08:59:29 »

Of course, judicious use of the loan system can be advantageous.  For instance Lou Macari after a dodgy start 85/86 needed a LB, and so got in Nicky Coleman from Millwall, he took a good pen.  Lou tried to sign him to no avail, but he was our only loan that record Div 4 season.
We also had Chris Ramsey in the side and Dave Bamber and although they had been signed on perms by Macari both had previously been loan signings the season before.

I agree you can't rely totally on loan players in key positions but when you have talent available then why not use it? like every other club in this division and the one above.

If a good players appears for loan that will improve us then take him, we would be silly to ignore that.

Having a higher reputation than many in this league means we can maybe attracts a better quality loan than say Newport, Crawley, Yeovil or Carlisle.

Yes in an ideal world there would be no loans and all signings would be perm signings but then many young talented footballers would be sat in Premier League U23 sides never bettering themselves only to be released when they hit 24.

I think in Alzate, Nelson, Woolfenden and Adebayo we have 4 players that would walk into any side in this division.

You cannot say that about Flipflops 7 loanees - Hussey (good attcking awful defending), Smith (moments of good many of bad), Gordon (fast and petulant with no end product), Eslnik (started well went to pot when he got an injury), Banks (started well got worse), Anderson (showed promise so was bought), Menayese (nieve at times).

I would take even one Alzate over all those TBH.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 09:03:24 »

I know we're shit and will always be shit but I've been going long enough that I have an affection that will never fade. It's over an hour drive for me now but I still do most home games. I honestly can't think of many better ways to spend my Saturdays than with my mates watching footy to be honest.

As for shaping up, I think we'll be okay. Got a good chance of going up I feel, but it's too early to really tell.

Good man...
Flashheart

« Reply #34 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 09:06:44 »

I think we're still not 'clicking'. There's some very good passages of play but not enough flow overall with attacks often quite not panning out as they could.

The table's still looking decent for us, though. If we do start clicking then we could be in for a very good season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 09:15:19 »

We also had Chris Ramsey in the side and Dave Bamber and although they had been signed on perms by Macari both had previously been loan signings the season before.

I agree you can't rely totally on loan players in key positions but when you have talent available then why not use it? like every other club in this division and the one above.

If a good players appears for loan that will improve us then take him, we would be silly to ignore that.

Having a higher reputation than many in this league means we can maybe attracts a better quality loan than say Newport, Crawley, Yeovil or Carlisle.

Yes in an ideal world there would be no loans and all signings would be perm signings but then many young talented footballers would be sat in Premier League U23 sides never bettering themselves only to be released when they hit 24.

I think in Alzate, Nelson, Woolfenden and Adebayo we have 4 players that would walk into any side in this division.

You cannot say that about Flipflops 7 loanees - Hussey (good attcking awful defending), Smith (moments of good many of bad), Gordon (fast and petulant with no end product), Eslnik (started well went to pot when he got an injury), Banks (started well got worse), Anderson (showed promise so was bought), Menayese (good at times nieve at others).

I would take even one Alzate over all those TBH.

Again it's too early to tell... Timi looked a talent, but was ground down by the physicality. We're about 5 weeks into the season, the weather is decent, pitches good.

The aim for Alzate will be to show he has the required physicality and mental application for the slog.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 09:19:25 »

Pretty well.  Only seen us vs Macclesfield, Tranmere and Franchise.  Sounds like Woolfenden has improved our defence.  I think we'll make the play-offs barring injuries.  On paper Lincoln, Franchise, Mansfield, Forest Green, Exeter and Notts County might have stronger first XIs/squads.  Hopefully Toumani will live up to his reputation.  The big plus is that it's so much more enjoyable than last season.  Brown has done well with the signings.  Watching players like Alzate, Doughty and Adebayo is joyful and worth the entrance fee.  We should be grateful to Mansfield for taking Flitcroft.    
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 10:35:38 »

Not got an issue with quality. Hell, I did 42 games in the Iffy relegation season. That team was dross but for the most part at least they tried. I can take being beaten by better teams.

It was the Wilson/Hart relegation season that destroyed me as a fan. That team was decent but the attitude was all wrong.
When we finally got rid of Wilson (too late imo) we needed a managed to galvanise the players & make them realise they were in a proper fight.

We appointed Paul fucking Hart, quite literally one of the worst managers of all time the exact opposite of what we needed.

I still can’t understand why we did that. What it was about Hart that appealed to those in charge. Again, quite literally anyone else in the entire universe would have been a better choice.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 10:43:33 »

Not got an issue with quality. Hell, I did 42 games in the Iffy relegation season. That team was dross but for the most part at least they tried. I can take being beaten by better teams.

It was the Wilson/Hart relegation season that destroyed me as a fan. That team was decent but the attitude was all wrong.
When we finally got rid of Wilson (too late imo) we needed a managed to galvanise the players & make them realise they were in a proper fight.

We appointed Paul fucking Hart, quite literally one of the worst managers of all time the exact opposite of what we needed.

I still can’t understand why we did that. What it was about Hart that appealed to those in charge. Again, quite literally anyone else in the entire universe would have been a better choice.

Hart had about a dozen games, he had I think the previous season kept Palace up from a similar sitution might have got a few more game to do it... so there was a certain logic.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 10:58:00 »

Hart had about a dozen games, he had I think the previous season kept Palace up from a similar sitution might have got a few more game to do it... so there was a certain logic.

At Palace he managed 3 wins in 14 games.
That shit wouldn’t have kept us up.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 11:08:35 by DV Canio » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 11:12:35 »

I tend not to dwell on football past. Even those games during the 3 day week with crowds under 2000 and various seasons of general shite have all but slipped from memory.

I was definitely waning last season under Flitcroft - any reason not to go was seized upon - especially after Lukewarm Luke’s season.

I’m missing my first home game Saturday - off to Nerja for a week - so thanks to iFollow I shouldn’t miss all the excitement! The fire has returned.

I would really appreciate a good FA Cup run this season - away to any London PL side would do. I think it would galvanise some of the lapsed.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 16:03:59 »

At Palace he managed 3 wins in 14 games.
That shit wouldn’t have kept us up.

W3  D6 l5. As we know the six draws are worth 2 wins.  Had Hart come in for 14 games and replicated his Palace record we'd have been on 46, one off D and R and 2 off Saddlers who stayed up.

Of course his Palace rescue, was a different set of circumstances being in the Championship, but still 46 game but only 3 down. When he took them on they had 33 points against our 31.  He got them to 49 a similar amount would have kept us up.

It ws all the more remarkable as Palace were docked 10 for Admin.... I guess it all added to why Fitton and co saw him as a short term firefighter.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 16:21:52 »

Again it's too early to tell... Timi looked a talent, but was ground down by the physicality. We're about 5 weeks into the season, the weather is decent, pitches good.

The aim for Alzate will be to show he has the required physicality and mental application for the slog.

Not sure he will, only one game this season has been against a team wanting to rough it up, the good old says of Div 4 are gone for now, most teams try and play it around a little to pander to the top clbs desire when sending out these loanees.  Pitches are also pretty good now.  We were a rarity last season, I think I suggested at one point that we should churn our pitch-up to improve our chances.

Anyway, he's either someone we'd miss (your suggestion we shouldn't have loanees in the spine because we might lose them all), or he's someone not significant enough to make an impact (your suggestion he might be a risk for a team trying to get promotion)..  You can't have it both ways.

There is only one fact, we are, after 7 games, in the top 7.  There is nothing concrete to suggest it will get worse, nothing concrete to suggest it will get better.  Your view that it could all unravel holds as much credence as someone suggesting we'll find something not yet seen and romp the league.

My "belief" is we'll make the play offs, it is a lottery after that.  Is that good enough, maybe not - I  think we are heading where our pre-season prep seems to have been geared towards, be in the hunt for January, then take stock and see if some bells and whistles could make a difference.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 16:23:19 »

W3  D6 l5. As we know the six draws are worth 2 wins.  Had Hart come in for 14 games and replicated his Palace record we'd have been on 46, one off D and R and 2 off Saddlers who stayed up.

So, we have still gone down. Just 22nd rather than 24th

Palace stayed up despite Hart rather than because of.

He was always a shit manager.
Nothing will change that.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 16:46:43 »

So, we have still gone down. Just 22nd rather than 24th

Palace stayed up despite Hart rather than because of.

He was always a shit manager.
Nothing will change that.

The original point was what possessed seemingly sane men to appoint Hart... and there's the reason. OK it was a bad pick and Fitton acknowledged he'd screwed up by walking.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: