Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Franchise Matchday Thread  (Read 33980 times)
Townend80

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Saturday, September 1, 2018, 19:51:10 »

Don't think they got on when he was coach here.

Hi All

I’ve just Had a DM from Steve concerning this. He wanted to set the record straight on a couple of points

1) he wasn’t being dismissive. He was just stating the saves that Vigs made you’d expect from a keeper of his caliber. He said he’s new to commentary and it probably didn’t word it the way he wanted.

2)there’s no fall out, he’s always got in with Vigs. They speak to this day and he’s delighted about his call up.

Ta muchly
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Saturday, September 1, 2018, 22:22:30 »

ooooh, friend, coaching friend Smiley

thanks for the clarification, and hello incognito Steve
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 06:30:23 »

Only saw the last 20 minutes.  

Great spirit again.

Noticed Taylor receiving criticism.  I would say Taylor in particular was prominent in driving the sense of urgency to the very end.  I think his presence on the field to a degree "inspired".  Bayo's goal came from Taylor putting the ball exactly where it needed to be in the 94th minute.

Perhaps the earlier suggestion of Taylor as a sub hit the mark?
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 06:33:25 by RedRag » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 08:32:12 »

Another enjoyable game.
I'm liking the way that this team is trying to play.
Room for improvement, yes plenty, but still early days.
The spirit and desire shown so far can only bode well for the rest of the season.
Can't keep letting the opposition go in front at home though.

The team from Bletchley were nothing special.

So, central defence.
Goal aside plus some moments of lack of communication I thought that the central pair did ok.
Where is Wolfie going to fit in?
Can't see a pairing of a 19 & 22 year old with about 90 games at league level between them.
Add in Conroy, another 22 year old with around 40 appearances.
I suspect that PB will take the view that if Lancashire is fit he plays.
There should be scope now to go three at the back as an option if required.

Lastly, referee Kettle went off the boil badly and did not scale the heights in the second half.
Haven't we had problems with his erratic whistling before?

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 08:58:15 »

I was thinking the same about the CBs. As with most loans I presume Wolf is expecting to start the majority of games - apparently he is a ‘cultured’ CB. Nelson has to stay for the blood and guts attitude.

Then what about captain Lancashire and Conroy - who may or may not fully recover from his injury.

3 at the back with Taylor as a wing back would be a disaster - Knoyle would do it fine.

Big Dave has to be a starter along with Alzate and Doughty. Adebayo is our main threat up top.

That leaves 2 spots for McGlashan, Richards, Anderson, Woolery, Smith, McCourt - who played well when he came on yesterday.

For me Adebayo and Woolery as a front 2 would be best.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 09:19:21 »

Three at the back with Iandolo replacing Taylor might work.

Would agree with CM of TD, Doughty and Alzate.

Then 3 from 4 out of Richards, EA, Woolery & Anderson.

That would be quite an attacking formation.
Not sure PB would go for it though.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 09:47:01 »

While he didn't have his best game yesterday, I'd recommend anyone with a match programme to read the Doughty interview.  Positive stuff.  Hope he's able to develop his career with us - as he clearly wishes to.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 10:04:15 »

I actually think McGlashan could could a job LWB.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #263 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 10:08:37 »

Three at the back with Iandolo replacing Taylor might work.

Would agree with CM of TD, Doughty and Alzate.

Then 3 from 4 out of Richards, EA, Woolery & Anderson.

That would be quite an attacking formation.
Not sure PB would go for it though.
I personally don't think Iandolo is anywhere near good enough to play first team yet, Taylor at WB would be ok but only because with 3 at the back he wouldn't have to get back as quickly having 3 CBs covering, still think we are a LB LWB light. I want Taylor to come back as good as he was last season, his set peices have been woeful this term so far and he doesn't take his man on and get crosses in as he did so well last year.

Toums, if he plays as he did in the first half at Crawley, would be exactly what we need, he would have to replace Smith in the team, I like Smith but thats not his best role.

I think Anderson is a guaranteed starter under PB, it would be stupid to drop Doughty and Alzate offers more going forward than Smith.

I can't see PB going with 3 at the back regularly but I think we need to start at the back and with 3 capable CB's I think we would be more solid at the back. Nelson is a blood and guts blocker who gets his body between the ball and the goal, Lancashire could still become a decent CB with the right players alongside of him and Woolf is apparently a cultured ball playing right sided CB/RB with a bit of pace and god in the air.

Still not totally convinced Lancashire can do the left sided CB job, unless he has a more solid LB alongside of him.

The only thing going against 3 at the back is that we would have to give up an attacker or a midfielder, probably McGlashan.

As it stands

Vigs
     Knoyle, Nelson, Woolf(Lanky), Taylor
McGlashan, Doughty, Toums, Alzate, Anderson
                           Bayo

Vigs
                Woolf      Nelson      Lancashire
Knoyle                    Toums                           Taylor
            Alzate     Anderson            Doughty         
                          Bayo (Richards)

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #264 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 10:09:29 »

I actually think McGlashan could could a job LWB.
I like McGlashan and thought he was unlucky to get subbed yesterday, he can track back and tackle but has bags of pace still for his age. I wouldn't mind him at RWB not sure hes as good on the left though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 10:52:19 »

Sky highlights

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-two/11488241/swindon-1-1-mk-dons

Crap really as it's all franchise with none of our pen shouts
Opposition teams are always likely to have chances if we are continually chasing games and inevitably leaving space in behind.

Whether this season turns out to be successful or not, I’m enjoying going to the CG again - so thanks to PB and the players for that.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 11:11:53 »

I like McGlashan and thought he was unlucky to get subbed yesterday, he can track back and tackle but has bags of pace still for his age. I wouldn't mind him at RWB not sure hes as good on the left though.

Yes & no.  McGlashan was doing fine and, for me, certainly wasn't in the group of players (incl Taylor, Doughty, Smith) having a below par afternoon.  But you also have to recognise that Adebayo coming on changed the game...so, in that respect, I think Brown made the right call.
Flashheart

« Reply #267 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 12:25:42 »

Whether this season turns out to be successful or not, I’m enjoying going to the CG again - so thanks to PB and the players for that.

Yes You take it for granted, or at least I do. Last season was awful in terms of enjoyment, yet it doesn't even occur to me that I'm enjoying this season so far. It's a vast improvement on last season entertainment wise.  Let's hope it results in the points we want as well.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 12:51:33 »

This season has been far more watchable than last year.  From what I have seen, I'd suggest we might have a more productive year as well.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 13:30:59 »

Went to the match yesterday and thought we stole a point.  MKD controlled the game and had it not been for Vigs we would have lost that 2 or 3 nil.

Alzate by far the stand out player, and Adebayo when he came on, he should have started.  If we are going to play long ball (which we did) you can't start with a 5'8" striker up front on his own.

Vigs - Did well, a couple of saves for the cameras but distribution poor
Knoyle - Did ok but not one of his better games, didn't affect the game enough
Sid - Put a couple of decent challenges in but very irratic - Made me nervous numerous times
Lancs - Powderpuff - can't do the simple things needed to defend.
Taylor - lot's of effort but better going forward than defending
Smith - Worst game I have seen him play - lot's of effort and running but couldn't find a red shirt all afternoon
Alzate - Best player on the pitch - played the simple pass and controlled the game whenever he had the ball
Keshi - Made some decent runs but no end result
McGlashan - ineffective against a full back who was unfit and overweight - Should have done better
Doughty - poorest game for us so far, but apparently he picked up an early injury
Richards - did the best he could with the little service he got and the ball constantly being fired to him at head height.
Adabayo - changed the game when he came on - should have started - should start next week
McCourt - Did a better DMF job than Smith
Iandalo - Had little time to make an impact but had a role in the goal.

Happy to take the point, but we didn't deserve it IMO.  The ref was shocking, definate penalty on Alzate and could have had 1 or 2 handball shouts.

However, this is still much better than last year, but yesterday we were poor.  We can't be great every week, so although yesterday was frustrating, we are still in a much better place.  Get some of the missing players back, with the addition of the new lad and perhaps 1 or 2 additions and we should be looking up rather than down.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: