Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Broadband & TV  (Read 10022 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 24, 2018, 16:42:36 »

Come to the end of my Virgin contract and looking elsewhere. Had Sky before Virgin and unimpressed with both broadbands.

Is there any really decent broadband provider out there?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 24, 2018, 17:07:13 »

Aren't you limited to two?  Virgin or Openreach provide the fibre, so regardless of who you only have two supplier options of the infrastructure.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 24, 2018, 17:43:37 »

yeah, but you might get unlucky with congestion. in which case changing provider may help
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 24, 2018, 17:55:48 »

Come to the end of my Virgin contract and looking elsewhere. Had Sky before Virgin and unimpressed with both broadbands.

Is there any really decent broadband provider out there?

I've been with BT for donkeys years and never had a problem, superfast for me. However living in Bedford that isn't much help, i've heard it can depend on how near the exchange you are? (i'm very near here); although don't know how true that is.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 24, 2018, 18:21:36 »

I've been with BT for donkeys years and never had a problem, superfast for me. However living in Bedford that isn't much help, i've heard it can depend on how near the exchange you are? (i'm very near here); although don't know how true that is.
Unless you have fibre to the door (which most don't), it's hugely dependent on that. We had BT's "Superfast" Fibre but it was Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and the only thing worse than the speed was the appalling customer service and support. Switched to 4G so I never had to go near Openreach's ropey excuse for a network ever again
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 24, 2018, 21:49:43 »

Luck of the draw, by contrast we used to get 2mb on ADSL and now get near as 80.

also had 2 line problems that were sorted within 3 or 4 days on each occasion.

the BT hub was a piece of shit though.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 24, 2018, 23:17:04 »

Broadband speeds and reliability figures are a con. It's all run through BT, and all pretty antiquated. Virgin have fibre loops, but it's all for corporate wallets. If you have good internet you are lucky, nothing more nothing less. The message being if you dont have problems, don't swap, doesn't matter who the provider is, the next one might be in the wrong duct, or plugged into the wrong circuit board in the same exchange cabinet.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, August 27, 2018, 19:11:51 »

Can you watch live BBC, ITV and Channel 4 through their apps?
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 21:42:47 »

We used to have Sky but swapped to Virgin about 5 years ago because it was cheaper. Now we're (my Dad) is paying Virgin £90 a month for phone, TV and internet.

I'm pushing him to swap to BT who'll do more or less the same deal for about £35 for 18 months and £55 thereafter.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 03:20:55 »

Virgin really pissed me off yesterday. Phoned to cancel, there is no option when calling to be put through to the Cancellations Team, so got transferred. On hold for over 30 mins before I gave up.

Tried again but the fuckers know who is calling from the number you are calling from so, yet again, on hold for 30 mins and spoke to no-one.

Obviously trying their hardest to stop you cancelling by the equivalent of putting their hands over their ears and going la la la, I can’t hear you.

Fucking twats. Cunts. Ass wipes.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 06:18:30 »

Sky do the same, in fact pretty much everyone who takes money from the public for a "Service" makes it as difficult as possible. to cancel or downgrade anything. Viva La Revolution..
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 12:11:07 »

Can you watch live BBC, ITV and Channel 4 through their apps?

Yes for BBC and ITV, never tried C4.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 16:57:23 »

Ah, thanks.

Finally got round the Virgin stonewalling. Used the Moving Home option and told them I was moving to France and they processed the cancellation there and then. Scummy bastards.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 5, 2018, 12:24:50 »

Can someone advise me about line rental ?

For example, if I don't have a home phone landline, but do have broadband do I need to pay for line rental ? Or is the line rental only for a landline ?? Or for both ??

Cheers

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, September 5, 2018, 20:19:15 »

Can someone advise me about line rental ?

For example, if I don't have a home phone landline, but do have broadband do I need to pay for line rental ? Or is the line rental only for a landline ?? Or for both ??

Cheers

Not sure where it's got to but the line rental was a must have (con) for you to have BB, they were on about banning it as no one uses landlines (bar parents and scammers) But I suspect it's still in the government to do list at number 2 million and 1.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: