Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gumtree Scam  (Read 7344 times)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2018, 09:32:51 »

That information, on it's own, can't really be used for anything. My guess is they harvest as much information as possible and then follow up months later with a phone call pretending to be from your bank. Using the little data they have they can probably convince you the call is legit.

Here's an example:

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/sophisticated-cheque-scam/
This,  details can be used to pay into your account,  but without passwords money cannot be withdrawn.   Think about it logically,  all this information is printed on every cheque you write (assuming you still use them).
As already said, its probably information they may use when trying to convince you they are your bank at a later date.
As banks tell you - JUST DON'T GIVE ANYONE YOUR PASSWORD- Tell them to fuck off.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2018, 11:03:53 »

Fairly common scam. They send the money, you send the item, the PayPal or bank transaction then gets reversed a few days later when they realise someone had their account compromised.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2018, 16:36:32 »

Scam Number 2 of the day.

Buyer: What's your best price for the iPhone.
Me: £75 final
Buyer: I can send you £93 to cover the cost of shipping and paypal fees
*alarm bells* but i'll go along with it.
Me: Yeah sure, deal. here's my PayPal  info to send payment. Let me know when its done.
Buyer: OK its done, I have sent payment blah blah blah.
Me: I can't see anything in my account yet....
Buyer: I have confirmed payment has been sent, please check your emails and junk blah blah.

At this point I check my emails to get the worse excuse of email from "PayPal" saying £318 has been transferred into my account. Its like they don't even try anymore.

Me: Oh yes, I see payment, but it appears you have sent me £318.
Buyer: Sorry, that was a mistake, please immediately transfer back £235 to my paypal (he's even trying to con me out of another £10) No shame.

If I wasn't so busy I'd have played a little but I just told him to fuck off in the end.

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, August 16, 2018, 08:55:22 »

Hadn't heard of that one before Chubbs,  thanks for warning us.  Bet a few will have fallen for it.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: