Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lincoln City V Swindon Town, Official Matchday Thread  (Read 24504 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 11:11:38 »

He got Rochadale out of League Two with a 19 year old loanee playing next to him.

That was 13/14; Lancashire was recently told he needed to retire due to a neck condition, not ideal when your job relies on heading the ball and other contact situations.  It may well take him some time to feel completely confident that he's back to normal.... it's wholly understandable, in the same way Conroy is feeling his way back.  I'd say you only want one playing in the circumstances.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 12:58:52 »

The biggest issue is that three of the back four have no real pace & can't recover.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 13:04:57 »

I know others will probably disagree on this but I think losing Matt Preston has hurt us significantly. Yes he's not the greatest defender in the world but he's brave, he isn't slow and was our best defender last season. He injured himself scoring for Mansfield at the weekend, based on what Reg has said, Mr Lancashire ain't going to be doing that anytime soon.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 13:05:31 »

The biggest issue is that three of the back four have no real pace & can't recover.

Its been a recurring theme for years, decent Div 4 defenders with pace are like rocking horse shit and rapidly become Div 3 or even Div 2 defenders!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 13:10:17 »

I know others will probably disagree on this but I think losing Matt Preston has hurt us significantly. Yes he's not the greatest defender in the world but he's brave, he isn't slow and was our best defender last season.

I agree.

It was countered, and not unreasonably at the time, that being run of the mill he'd be reasonably easy to replace. I don't agree with the assessment of run of the mill, but that's always going to be subjective.

Still might happen I suppose (replacement). I can't quite get my head round a world where quality midfielders are easier to get than quality centre backs. But it seems to be the case, as I can't believe Brown has purposely ignored the issues.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 13:42:29 »

I know others will probably disagree on this but I think losing Matt Preston has hurt us significantly. Yes he's not the greatest defender in the world but he's brave, he isn't slow and was our best defender last season. He injured himself scoring for Mansfield at the weekend, based on what Reg has said, Mr Lancashire ain't going to be doing that anytime soon.

I do agree with this.

However, the point stands that late last season, when he was long-term injured, we were generally conceding 0/1 a game in his absence. Despite having fairly shit keepers.
Panda Paws

« Reply #156 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 13:57:31 »

Would be very surprised not to see Nelson start on Tuesday and then Saturday. Sounds like a LB might be even more pressing than a CB too.

PB hinted at a change in formation. I'd still be surprised but maybe 352 does work better. Safety in numbers for the CBs, Iandolo rotating in for Taylor at LWB (It's his best position imo) and then strong midfield 3 plus Keshi right up alongside either Adebayo or Richards.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 14:18:19 »

Would be very surprised not to see Nelson start on Tuesday and then Saturday. Sounds like a LB might be even more pressing than a CB too.

PB hinted at a change in formation. I'd still be surprised but maybe 352 does work better. Safety in numbers for the CBs, Iandolo rotating in for Taylor at LWB (It's his best position imo) and then strong midfield 3 plus Keshi right up alongside either Adebayo or Richards.

You do need an element of flexibility, last season we were pretty good at coming back after a poor result or little run of poor results.  3 league defeats in a row, the most, twice. We then stopped that with 3-0 wins on the road at Luton and Crewe.

In many ways Tuesday is a bad draw for PB, last year we had Norwich away, lost but gave it a good go, nobody expected us to win.  v FGR, although they're higher than us in the league and have Doidge and Reid up front, people will expect us to win, which is perhaps a little misguided.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 14:18:49 »

Judging from Richards live interview today it may be a week or two before he's in contention. I *think* he said he was due to start full contact training on Friday, though I thought Brown said that was last week...He was explicitly asked about FGR game coming too soon though (yes he said).
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 07:19:17 »

I watched the football league highlights on quest last night and the worrying thing for me when we were conceding these goals was the reaction of the players. For the scrambled second goal, Lancashire appears to be just standing around with his hand up in the air for whatever reason while the rest of the team are flapping about trying to keep the ball out. For the third and fourth goals the players seem to be blaming each other. I know its early but I do worry a little about these reactions, the team don't seem to be quite 'together' yet in my eyes. 

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 07:58:39 »

Would be very surprised not to see Nelson start on Tuesday and then Saturday.

Missed this yesterday.

I agree, as in that's what I'd do, but I think PB has a bit of a problem over who he drops. Conroy is better than Lancashire, but Lancashire is captain. Captains aren't undroppable, but it surely makes it a bit harder

It may be that Conroy needs a rest anyway, don't want to over-play him after such a lengthy and serious injury.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 08:07:03 »

I have a feeling that tonight he will go with 3 at the back tonight giving Nelson a game alongside Conroy and Lancashire, pushing Taylor further up with Knoyle, that does mean he will have to drop one of the midfield, Doughty, Alzate, McGlashan, Anderson or Smith and I feel it will be Smith that loses out at home.

Probably bring on Toums at half time if we are able to as to give him some game time.

I would personally push Anderson up into a more attacking role almost alongside Adebayo as he does win balls but he lays the ball off and often there isn't a play advanced enough to get onto those passes, something Anderson has the ability to do, whether or not he does anything after then is debatable. McGlashan could also play that role if hes more central that out wide.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: