Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lincoln City V Swindon Town, Official Matchday Thread  (Read 24503 times)
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 10:02:03 »

Lincoln base there play on getting plenty of crosses into the box and they had a field day yesterday with Taylor going missing too often. We were beaten by a better side although if we’d been given the cast iron handball at 2-1 and scored the penalty we wouldn’t have had to chase the game as we did and leave ourselves open to the counter attacks.
Thought our midfield played fairly well but can’t remember our front three doing anything threatening. Least said about the defence the better. As bambooshoe says, let’s see where we are after ten games
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 10:41:39 »

I knew it wasn't going to be our day when the dead pigeon was discovered in the stand.
Some black magic ritual by our hosts to curse their opponents on matchday.

The score line was a bit flattering in the end, but Lincoln can also play a bit.

Our midfield generally did ok and dominated for a period in the second half.
Hopefully one goal from open play in 2 (or 3) games isn't going to become a pattern.

I'm assuming that there will be a formation change to fit Richards in when he returns?
Don't think he can play the same role that Adebayo does.
I would play both of them, but difficult to say who should miss out.
Adebayo has all of the attributes* and apparently we tried to make the deal permanent according to PB on the phone in.

*not sure about the finishing as not seen enough of him play yet, but would be very unfair to expect a 20 year old rookie to shoulder the main goal scoring responsibility for the whole season.

There are ways to help Taylor out if he is going to continue to be targeted.
Defence plays a bit deeper, a midfielder drops in to cover, a centre back moves across etc.
MT needs to improve the dead ball delivery based on yesterday, otherwise no point in him playing.

Maybe good to get a thrashing out the way early, as there is plenty of time to sort things out in training.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #137 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 10:51:15 »

Maybe good to get a thrashing out the way early, as there is plenty of time to sort things out in training.
It didn't harm Macaris side in 85-86 getting beaten away 4-1 in the 2nd game of the season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 10:52:54 »

I think we need a bit of a run sooner rather than later to back up Macclesfield myself.

need fans onside, it's already reverting to 'here we go again'. we need to pull together
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 11:05:40 »

It didn't harm Macaris side in 85-86 getting beaten away 4-1 in the 2nd game of the season.

There was however a towering pointer in that game..... Colin Calderwood scored and then jumped on the metal "cage" containing Town fans, and started shaking it.... somehow straight away you knew this was someone who meant business.

It was backed up by winning the next game v Torquay.... Tuesday night now becomes important, PB can't afford too many more fiascoes.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 12:33:56 »

Thinking a bit more about yesterday.

I think we need to go 4-4-2. When fit, we need to accommodate Dave and Adebayo is no lone striker. Like to see Woolery given a go in a front 2.

Still maintain that even after yesterday we should be in for a decent season.
Sir red ken

« Reply #141 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 12:41:18 »

Thinking a bit more about yesterday.

I think we need to go 4-4-2. When fit, we need to accommodate Dave and Adebayo is no lone striker. Like to see Woolery given a go in a front 2.

Still maintain that even after yesterday we should be in for a decent season.
We could be but we need something we've not started a season with since PDC squad was shown the door.
A defence would be usefull, a big strong, mobile set of units. Each season we start without one its more of the same old failure.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 18:22:49 »

Worst thing about Flitcroft's tenure is that he signed Robertson and Lancashire (maybe even his first two signings) who remain at the club when neither are good enough. Two players taking up a wage in the area of the squad where we should be looking at another centre half and a left back.

Was dismayed when Brown stuck with Lancashire as captain indicating he'll play more often that not.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 18:40:26 »

Worst thing about Flitcroft's tenure is that he signed Robertson and Lancashire (maybe even his first two signings) who remain at the club when neither are good enough. Two players taking up a wage in the area of the squad where we should be looking at another centre half and a left back.

Was dismayed when Brown stuck with Lancashire as captain indicating he'll play more often that not.

Robertson and Lancashire have 500+ FL games between them. After the relegation from Div 3 the cry was for some lower league experience, and that's what Flitcroft got.

The problem atm is that both Lancashire and Conroy are returning from serious injury, so are probably a long way off their best. 
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 18:46:24 »

Yeah, he got experience. Problem is talent didn’t come with it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #145 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 18:50:49 »

Robertson and Lancashire have 500+ FL games between them. After the relegation from Div 3 the cry was for some lower league experience, and that's what Flitcroft got.

The problem atm is that both Lancashire and Conroy are returning from serious injury, so are probably a long way off their best. 
There is no way that anyone could ever describe Robertson and Lancashire as "no nonsense" centre backs that can head a ball and tackle, quite the opposite, you would think that heading and tackling would be a pre requisite of a centre back with that many league games. Neither can head or tackle, thats the problem.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 19:04:50 »

There is no way that anyone could ever describe Robertson and Lancashire as "no nonsense" centre backs that can head a ball and tackle, quite the opposite, you would think that heading and tackling would be a pre requisite of a centre back with that many league games. Neither can head or tackle, thats the problem.

The problem is what can you get for the budget you have.... PB has Conroy, Robertson, and Lancashire all under contract, none of them are particularly convincing, so for me getting a decent stopper was a priority, that we made an offer to Preston suggests Power recognised that.... yet for some reason we've not got anyone credible in.

It goes back to the pre-season debates about what Power is trying to achieve.... for me it still looks like he'll be happy enough keeping League football at the CG while hoping to do the training ground property development and some involvement in the CG deal.

It is of course possible that Lancashire and Conroy will get back up to full speed, but for me expecting both to do so rapidly, is not a chance a serious contender would take
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 19:25:36 »

I think (know) I’m in the minority, but a fit Lancashire is perfectly adequate for a promotion chasing side in league two

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 19:47:42 »

I think (know) I’m in the minority, but a fit Lancashire is perfectly adequate for a promotion chasing side in league two

If he's got somebody commanding alongside him, the perhaps he could be, but atm he's the one expected to be commanding for Conroy and he isn't currently up to it
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #149 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 11:01:13 »

He got Rochadale out of League Two with a 19 year old loanee playing next to him.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: