Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lincoln City - Preview  (Read 8882 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 20:03:05 »

It's not an argument, you are just contradicting me, or so someone once said.

Grin

Yes it is!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 20:41:28 »

The argument goes back to this from Audrey....

It is, IMO, a shortsighted strategy. Exactly my problem last season with Flitcroft - the ‘what next’ scenario.

It is my contention that all evidence points to that in the modern game it is very diffcult to get up to higher than Div 3, if you've been scuffing around in Div 4 for a while... not impossible but difficult, therefore a club's concern should be what is in front of them. So for example of current clubs in Div 2 only Hull, have had any time in Div 4 since we were last at Div 2 level. Hull's rise as I pointed out with a few others came on the back of a new ground rather than style of football

What next for us is get out of Div 4..... the same for Lincoln. If we hope to progress beyond Div 3 then it will likely come on the back of a stadium redevelopment
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 21:03:35 »

The argument goes back to this from Audrey....

It is my contention that all evidence points to that in the modern game it is very diffcult to get up to higher than Div 3, if you've been scuffing around in Div 4 for a while... not impossible but difficult, therefore a club's concern should be what is in front of them. So for example of current clubs in Div 2 only Hull, have had any time in Div 4 since we were last at Div 2 level. Hull's rise as I pointed out with a few others came on the back of a new ground rather than style of football

What next for us is get out of Div 4..... the same for Lincoln. If we hope to progress beyond Div 3 then it will likely come on the back of a stadium redevelopment

I make it 15 clubs have gone from the bottom division to at least the second since 2000 (most of whic did so off the back of significant investment)

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 00:34:01 »

I make it 15 clubs have gone from the bottom division to at least the second since 2000 (most of whic did so off the back of significant investment)

Interesting, who are those clubs? Did they hang about for long?  I know for example Burton and Yeovil, have done it, but with ground capacity of around 6K, hardly surprising they couldn't sustain it
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 07:41:53 »

Interesting, who are those clubs? Did they hang about for long?  I know for example Burton and Yeovil, have done it, but with ground capacity of around 6K, hardly surprising they couldn't sustain it
Yeovil didn't sustain it because of lack of investment and their board spend hardly a penny on team investment keeping their Championship budget almost the same as the budget they had in L1, they pocketed all the money (their fans view not mine) they never expected to get there so took every penny out of the promotion to line their pockets and pay back the loans the club took out when it was struggling, that money has never gone back into the playing side hence they suffered 2 relegations in quick succession.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #20 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 10:38:23 »

Awww I seem to have angered most of their "snowflake" fans Cheesy

Accurate except for the words...

Even on an internet full of total idiots, that's really quite poor.

I did enjoy how the thread descended into bickering, however.
Ah well looks like they got quite offended by my post, my work here is done.

Flashheart

« Reply #21 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 10:54:06 »

I really find such inter-forum spats to be rather childishly banal. It's not as though either side is going to be completely impartial, we had might as well just be calling each other names for all the value it holds. I like to read opinions on the actual football but other than that it's all very trite.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 10:57:55 »

I think its very funny, petty and childish that everyone gets offended by everything on the internet, not just forums - everything.

Sir red ken

« Reply #23 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 11:00:43 »

I think its very funny, petty and childish that everyone gets offended by everything on the internet, not just forums - everything.
People have feeling Peter and I'm now offended by your remarks.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 11:58:09 »

Interesting, who are those clubs? Did they hang about for long?  I know for example Burton and Yeovil, have done it, but with ground capacity of around 6K, hardly surprising they couldn't sustain it

I got
Bournemouth
Brighton
Cardiff
Huddersfield
Brentford
Wigan (possibly not quite fit the criteria)
Swansea
Hull
Doncaster
Peterborough
Scunthorpe
Blackpool
Burton Albion
Plymouth
Luton (see Wigan)
Yeovil

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 12:08:51 »

I thought money/budget didn't mean anything regarding success Smiley
---
who gives a crap if the Lincoln fans don't like how we describe their style of play. They've even got an air raid siren FFS, yeah , yeah dambusters, but even so.

I'd take it if it got us up. you don't get bonus points for style, and I've never understood the 'nice passing' thinking it's somehow superior. wins come first.
-----
on another point, shame Scampton is closing. But I guess cutbacks are inevitable
Peter Venkman

« Reply #26 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 12:09:45 »

I thought money/budget didn't mean anything regarding success Smiley
Cheesy

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 12:52:47 »

I got
Bournemouth
Brighton
Cardiff
Huddersfield
Brentford
Wigan (possibly not quite fit the criteria)
Swansea
Hull
Doncaster
Peterborough
Scunthorpe
Blackpool
Burton Albion
Plymouth
Luton (see Wigan)
Yeovil

Why do Luton and Wigan not fit the criteria? What's possibly just as interesting is that over half of those have also gone to the Premiership in that time.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 12:57:00 »

unchanged team!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 14:30:24 »

Why do Luton and Wigan not fit the criteria? What's possibly just as interesting is that over half of those have also gone to the Premiership in that time.

I knew they’d risen from at least the third division since 2000, wasn’t sure whether they were in the 4th or not

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: