Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lincoln City - Preview  (Read 8881 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 14:03:36 »

Preview post removed.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 11:35:34 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 14:19:46 »

Forum full of snowflakes Cheesy
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 14:22:36 »

They are very defensive about their style of play, but when they say if you’ve got Rhead or, now, Akinde in the side it would be stupid not to play to their strengths, they are ignoring the fact that their manager bought these players in to specifically play the long ball way.

Nowt wrong with that as it will almost certainly get them out of L2. The problem is what next. In L1 that style may be good enough for mid table but that’s it. Changing style doesn’t seem to be an option for Cowley as it is the only way he knows. Maybe it is this that has kept clubs from higher up the food chain approaching him.

It is, IMO, a shortsighted strategy. Exactly my problem last season with Flitcroft - the ‘what next’ scenario.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 14:23:57 »

They are very defensive about their style of play, but when they say if you’ve got Rhead or, now, Akinde in the side it would be stupid not to play to their strengths, they are ignoring the fact that their manager bought these players in to specifically play the long ball way.
Exactly.

Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 14:28:16 »

Think we may end up losing by a couple here but hope to be proved wrong.

Got a result there with 10 men for the majority of the match last season so you never know. Could be made for someone like Alzate to make the difference.

Biggest concern is obviously right back as we don't have one now. But if we're expecting a bombardment maybe it's worth asking Nelson to do a job there as he appears the sort to love a battle.
Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 14:29:31 »

I'll be happy with a point.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 14:37:52 »

Nowt wrong with that as it will almost certainly get them out of L2. The problem is what next. In L1 that style may be good enough for mid table but that’s it. Changing style doesn’t seem to be an option for Cowley as it is the only way he knows. Maybe it is this that has kept clubs from higher up the food chain approaching him.

It is, IMO, a shortsighted strategy. Exactly my problem last season with Flitcroft - the ‘what next’ scenario.

It worked for us under Macari and it worked for Cambridge United under John Beck who destroyed us in the 2 league games when Hoddle was manager (although Hoddle, to his credit, sussed out how to beat them when we whooped them in the cup the same season....). We almost made it to the old Division 1 under Macari playing long ball and Cambridge very nearly made it under Beck. Both (especially Cambridge) had similar styles of play to the current Lincoln team. Not pretty, but effective, although I'd say the Swindon and Cambridge teams had some talent in the teams as well. They are pretty much all lumpers in the Lincoln team.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 15:08:52 »

I'm not so sure you could directly replicate the Wimbledon/Cambridge approaches in the modern game, not with the way Academies have gone.  You can't get players with real talent to drop that low and play that way - Cambridge had Dion Dublin who went to Man Utd for example.  I could see them being ok in L1 as well, provided they can sprinkle some extra ability if they did go up.  The thing with Lincoln, as it always will be, is how long can they sustain the squad before bad times come again.  They are like a slightly bigger version of Bury in recent years - sporadic bursts of relative success, offset by near collapse as a club as they don't have the base, or endless supply of owners funds to support it long term.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 16:34:13 »

The idea that you shouldn't play direct football because you might not be able to do it at a higher level is ludicrous.  It has always been difficult for clubs in the lower reaches to elevate up to the higher orders.... still just about possible eg Bormuff and BHA, and usually done on the back of stadium change.

These days for lower order clubs like ourselves it's as much about avoiding losing league status and worse..... all you need to do is look at a season like 06/07.... this was Div 4...

1    Walsall    
2    Hartlepool United        
3    Swindon Town       
4    Franchise    
5    Lincoln City    
6    Bristol Rovers    
7    Shrewsbury    
8    Stockport County    
9    Rochdale    
10    Peterborough United    
11    Darlington    
12    Wycombe Wanderers    
13    Notts County    
14    Barnet    
15    Grimsby Town    
16    Hereford United    
17    Mansfield Town    
18    Chester City    
19    Wrexham    
20    Accrington Stanley    
21    Bury    
22    Macclesfield Town    
23    Boston United    
24    Torquay United    

Of those only 1 Franchise, has had a season in Div 2, in the 11 subsequent seasons, prob due to new ground.

7 are currently at the lofty heights of Div 3.   3 are in the Conference. 6 are lower than the Conference.

The only reason for not playing long ball is if you don't win matches... tomorrow should give us a clue as to whether it works or not.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 16:57:02 »

It is not ludicrous to suggest that currently, the way the game is structured, a Wimbledon, a Cambridge, a Lou Macari Swindon is far less likely.  The data does not support it being anything other ludicrous.  The only teams I have seen play this way in recent years are in this league.  There are teams who mix it up, teams who are more direct, well organised etc.  There are very few Lincoln's.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 17:05:16 »

It is not ludicrous to suggest that currently, the way the game is structured, a Wimbledon, a Cambridge, a Lou Macari Swindon is far less likely.  The data does not support it being anything other ludicrous.  The only teams I have seen play this way in recent years are in this league.  There are teams who mix it up, teams who are more direct, well organised etc.  There are very few Lincoln's.
This is true, another point of note is that the Lincoln way of battering teams with tough tackling and niggles off the ball etc would go unnoticed in L2 with the poor standard of refereeing, the higher up the leagues the less likelihood there is of that sort of thing going unpunished or not noticed by the refereeing team.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #11 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 17:08:14 »

From Danny Cowley.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/dc-were-expecting-swindon-to-be-a-really-good-side/

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 18:27:45 »

No it is ludicrous, because what is being suggested is that you shouldn't try and win games in Div 4, by playing a suitable way, because that way may not work at a theoretical highher level that you're not at and may never achieve.

You even mention yourself there are teams in the Prem who "mix it up" oddly it is when these clubs like Bolton, Stoke, WBA, under the likes of Pulis, Allardyce and Pardew forego what is essentally old skool English direct football that they go back down.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 19:07:05 »

It's a little known fact that Great Briton no 73, Aleister Crowley changed his surname when he foresaw the coming of the Cowley brothers and their impact on English football.

Any right minded football fan should be shitting themselves at the prospect of a confrontation with the Cowleys.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 19:42:51 »

No it is ludicrous, because what is being suggested is that you shouldn't try and win games in Div 4, by playing a suitable way, because that way may not work at a theoretical highher level that you're not at and may never achieve.

You even mention yourself there are teams in the Prem who "mix it up" oddly it is when these clubs like Bolton, Stoke, WBA, under the likes of Pulis, Allardyce and Pardew forego what is essentally old skool English direct football that they go back down.

It's not an argument, you are just contradicting me, or so someone once said.

I never mentioned anything at all about it being a style that could not get you out of this league, I even went further than the opposite of that said I thought they'd do well in the next league above us.  I suggested it wouldn't go much further in the current footballing climate for a couple of reasons - the players won't take it further up anymore, and haven't been schooled that way, plus a team like Lincoln usually can't sustain it - recent history for them is boom and bust.  The fairy tale of up and at them on a budget isn't possible all the way up.

Pulis teams play direct, it isn't pretty, but it isn't what Lincoln do.  It's also worth noting your point about what happens once they move on from him, I agree, but his ilk get moved on because the teams, players and fans won't take it season after season like they would have done in the past.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: