Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, how are we going to set up?  (Read 18583 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #60 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 11:54:52 »

Either way, if you can't be optimistic on the eve of the season, where is the joy in football?
Thats pretty much how I feel, even when we have a shit side (which I think we don't) I am always optimistic going into the new season, that optimism often changes fairly early but I at least try and be optimistic.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Panda Paws

« Reply #61 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 12:01:11 »

Out of interest, right now would people want a 2.6m budget and DF and Futch in charge or £1.5m and PB and NM in charge...?
Flashheart

« Reply #62 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 12:06:55 »

Out of interest, right now would people want a 2.6m budget and DF and Futch in charge or £1.5m and PB and NM in charge...?

Brown, that's a no-brainer.*

I think it should be noted, though, that Brown probably meant 'expenditure' when he said 'budget'. It's inevitable that figure will rise, how close it will end up near the 2.6m Flitcroft ended up with at the end of the season is anybody's guess. He also said that Power has not said no (yet).

*Having said that, we've not had a season under Brown yet, but going by information at hand, it's a no brainer.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 12:08:01 »

Either way, if you can't be optimistic on the eve of the season, where is the joy in football?
Reg thinks we're going down the pan
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 12:13:13 »

Four teams down from L1, Mansfield spending stupid money and entrusting a clown to do it. Lincoln. Notts County gambling. 8 teams there at least that would have a realistic expectation to outspend or be very close to us in budget terms.

What would satisfy you? If he'd said a budget of £2m and 4th, would we be trying to get promoted then? If we spend a bit more in January, as I'm sure we will if we're competing?

Again, PB has claimed 7th, which feels about right, and PB also reckons he finished above his budget position in every one of his 4 full seasons at Southend.

That to me says we have a realistic chance of promotion and anything but PO is a failure. Maybe LP looked at PB's record? Overspend on PB and the backroom staff to get more from the playing budget?

So you agree that Power is hoping that Brown has enough nous to overachieve and get us above our budget status.

In Div 4, budget doesn't guarantee you anything, beyond trends.  Meaning teams going up will mostly be spending a bit more and teams going down will largely have a smaller budget... those hanging around will mostly have a middling budget. It's not a 100% correlation, and therein lies the fun.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 12:37:53 »

So you agree that Power is hoping that Brown has enough nous to overachieve and get us above our budget status.

Or that we are close enough come January to make stumping up more cash worthwhile
Panda Paws

« Reply #66 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 12:41:40 »

In Div 4, budget doesn't guarantee you anything, beyond trends.  Meaning teams going up will mostly be spending a bit more and teams going down will largely have a smaller budget... those hanging around will mostly have a middling budget. It's not a 100% correlation, and therein lies the fun.

Yeah,  hence the point that we hire a manager to over-deliver, but it's not we're 20th and expecting play-offs. We're 7th and expecting play-offs!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 12:48:00 »

I'm looking forward to the season, but I don't think we've got enough for an auto spot as things stand.

Is that OK?
Panda Paws

« Reply #68 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 12:53:43 »

I'm looking forward to the season, but I don't think we've got enough for an auto spot as things stand.

Is that OK?

You do you Batch (I agree).
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 13:35:06 »

Far too much is read into budget size, it’s one factor among many others which determines how a season goes.

Plus a lot of the figures banded around are speculation anyway
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 13:47:05 »

Far too much is read into budget size, it’s one factor among many others which determines how a season goes.
It's not how big it is, it's how you use it. An astonishingly versatile phrase that can be applied to multiple situations
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 13:54:49 »

It's not how big it is, it's how you use it.
Which is why my football team is shite and my misses left me  Cheesy
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #72 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:49:48 »

Well as there are no new signings today I will go for....

Vigouroux
Knoyle    Nelson    Conroy     Taylor
   Diagouraga    Doughty    Alzate
Anderson                        McGlashan
                 Adebayo

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:55:19 »

Probably about right, only question mark for me is if PB fancies Twine instead of Anderson having done well recently.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 18:12:31 »

Outside chance of going to this one. Depends how long it takes to get back to town from holiday.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: