Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, how are we going to set up?  (Read 18568 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 20:34:58 »

Also Richards is better than any of the forwards in our squad at the start of last season, so while he will miss a few weeks, we get most of the autumn and winter with him on-board, hopefully.
Sir red ken

« Reply #46 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 20:41:55 »

My only concern with waiting for the first 5/10 games is PB had a very poor set of result during the run in. Whilst that was last season, with Flitflops reject team. He could be just like Cooper man the season he got the chop.  Bad end of one season following into the next. So I'd like to see a good start and the team put down a marker for the rest of the year.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 00:28:53 »

Conroy and Lancashire started the first game last season, they might this, so Nelson is an addition.

Norris and Mullin is better in your eyes than Anderson, Adebayo & McGlashan.  I've not seen the latter two play in a game for us yet, so can't comment, although McGlashan always looked pretty decent when I have seen him.  I can confirm that Norris and Mullin did not pull up trees though.

Norris, Mulin and Anderson scored 25 goals between them last season.... Keshi is still with us so someone will need to make up for N n M's 19. Maybe Adebayo, but Jermaine has scored 25 in 285 appearances, so I'm guessing that's not what he's been brought in for.

No, it seems to me that Power is doing enough to try and keep us in the FL, while trying to cut the property deals.. and vaguely hoping that PB might have enough nous to overachieve and get us up.
REDBUCK

« Reply #48 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 01:03:41 »

Not necessarily. Taylor can have the Pens so that's half and we'll need fewer goals overall to win games as the defence improves, so that covers the other half.

Next theory..

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 02:18:41 »

Norris, Mulin and Anderson scored 25 goals between them last season.... Keshi is still with us so someone will need to make up for N n M's 19. Maybe Adebayo, but Jermaine has scored 25 in 285 appearances, so I'm guessing that's not what he's been brought in for.

No, it seems to me that Power is doing enough to try and keep us in the FL, while trying to cut the property deals.. and vaguely hoping that PB might have enough nous to overachieve and get us up.

But the midfield may have some goals in it this season, and take away the pens and you are left with a cart horse and trier upfront for last seasons first game.  Anderson wasn't here yet, so can't be compared - we might bring in someone yet, just like he was last season.  This is a direct comparison with the set-up for the same game last season, not what we brought in during the remainder of the transfer window or January, because Brown still has that to use.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 06:47:19 »

Hopefully defenders can chip in a few more. From memory the back line (excluding Taylor) scored naff all - given flitcrofts passion for organisation I cannot remember us scoring from a corner (I remember conceding loads from them)

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 08:09:30 »

Not necessarily. Taylor can have the Pens so that's half and we'll need fewer goals overall to win games as the defence improves, so that covers the other half.

The defence hasn't improved yet though...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 08:11:34 »

But the midfield may have some goals in it this season,

You'd think Doughty and McGlashen would chip in with a few. Not sure about Smith, and probably not TD. So yeah, maybe its enough. Still think we'll need Anderson to step up, which he may well do - big season for him I think, needs to start performing as he's got something.
Panda Paws

« Reply #53 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 08:51:49 »

Jesus Reg.....

We don't need to score bucket loads to get promoted. We need to stop conceding and stop losing matches. It's not like for like, black and white....

Also, our budget is c. 7th in the league confirmed by PB, with room to move in January as always. Every request and player he's asked for, he's got the money for. Hardly planning to do enough to just stay up...

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #54 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 09:00:12 »

Jesus Reg.....

We don't need to score bucket loads to get promoted. We need to stop conceding and stop losing matches. It's not like for like, black and white....

Also, our budget is c. 7th in the league confirmed by PB, with room to move in January as always. Every request and player he's asked for, he's got the money for. Hardly planning to do enough to just stay up...
I have always said you have to build a side from the back, if you don't concede many then you don't lose many, also fitness, I know I harp back to it but under Macari we didn't let many in but also scored a lot of goals in the last 10 mins of games to win by a single goal. Admittedly players weren't as fit back then in general as they are now. (yes a decent 20+ a year scorer would be in MY shopping list too though Wink ).

Also a good point you make is that PB has asked for players and LP lets him get them, thats all any manager could really ask for, PB hasn't been a spendthrift like PdC and to a lesser extent Flipflop did with us, hes budgeted wisely and only brought in players that he knows will play a large part and well within budget. A budget that is a play off budget, so thats what I expect come the end of the season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 09:10:16 »

Surely the point is that to date we haven't built a side from the back. We have two CBs of dubious fitness, a promising sounding youngster in for 6 months and Robertson.

I guess Dave may well offer more protection from midfield too. It may work out, but we've not really recruited in a way that you can say we are looking to nick games 1-0.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 10:26:01 »

Jesus Reg.....

In which case I'm surprised we haven't recruited any defenders on permanent deals.  If our budget is around 7th, then that suggests to me not overly serious about looking to get up....

There are probably a clutch of clubs who spend about the same..... this is one of the good things about Div 4, it's generally a pretty level playing field.

The basic position in comparing this season to last, is that Flitcroft liked a forward..... so we had Norris, Mullin, H Smith Woolery, Anderson, whereas PB likes a midfielder. He's put his eggs in the Doughty - Toumani basket, an interesting strategy.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 10:32:37 »

'Overly serious' means splashing £4000 wages on x, y and z to compete with Mansfield on the money front then?

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 10:40:01 »

'Overly serious' means splashing £4000 wages on x, y and z to compete with Mansfield on the money front then?

More a case of we hear from the manager etc, that we shouldn't really be in Div 4, we're a big club in Div 4, but then the budget doesn't reflect that.
Panda Paws

« Reply #59 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 11:52:05 »

More a case of we hear from the manager etc, that we shouldn't really be in Div 4, we're a big club in Div 4, but then the budget doesn't reflect that.

Four teams down from L1, Mansfield spending stupid money and entrusting a clown to do it. Lincoln. Notts County gambling. 8 teams there at least that would have a realistic expectation to outspend or be very close to us in budget terms.

What would satisfy you? If he'd said a budget of £2m and 4th, would we be trying to get promoted then? If we spend a bit more in January, as I'm sure we will if we're competing?

Again, PB has claimed 7th, which feels about right, and PB also reckons he finished above his budget position in every one of his 4 full seasons at Southend.

That to me says we have a realistic chance of promotion and anything but PO is a failure. Maybe LP looked at PB's record? Overspend on PB and the backroom staff to get more from the playing budget?

Either way, if you can't be optimistic on the eve of the season, where is the joy in football?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: