Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, how are we going to set up?  (Read 18570 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:48:45 »

No. As some of us know from long experience, you should never read too much into the opener. In the same way, you should never read too much into say the 1st 5 games....

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=56655.0

After 10 games, you can usually start to see something..... but it's signs of progress or not that you're looking for.

I totally agree, I’ve been around long enough myself thanks

I’m personally really looking forward to Saturday, see some of the new fellas. Victory would be nice but the result won’t mean much in terms of the seasons prospects
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:52:28 »

missed the last couple of openers due to holidays. Got this one though.

Every league seems to have silly results in the first month or so... I'll just be hoping to see some hope, and a mixed bag is fine - just don't lose them all!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 14:51:10 »

I totally agree, I’ve been around long enough myself thanks

I’m personally really looking forward to Saturday, see some of the new fellas. Victory would be nice but the result won’t mean much in terms of the seasons prospects

If you can't find a bit of enthusiasm for the opener, then probably time to give up...

as I said, early doors it's about seeing some signs of progress or not as the case may be.  Back in that 5 game thread, I flagged up the potential problem of non scoring forwards....

The other potential problem is non scoring strikers....Jon Obika is a worry, is he anywhere near fit?   Delfouneso, will need to improve significantly....Norris too early to say.

And so it proved....  NSSJO 6 being the lowest leading scorer in my 50+ years. Obika started about 20 odd games, Delf, was useless, and Luke although a trier, isn't a Div 3 standard goalscorer.

It seems to me atm, that our defence is a potential problem..... therefore I'll be looking for signs that it isn't.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 15:10:12 »

If you can't find a bit of enthusiasm for the opener, then probably time to give up...

as I said, early doors it's about seeing some signs of progress or not as the case may be.  Back in that 5 game thread, I flagged up the potential problem of non scoring forwards....

And so it proved....  NSSJO 6 being the lowest leading scorer in my 50+ years. Obika started about 20 odd games, Delf, was useless, and Luke although a trier, isn't a Div 3 standard goalscorer.

It seems to me atm, that our defence is a potential problem..... therefore I'll be looking for signs that it isn't.

Thought you weren't going?
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 15:20:53 »

Think this is the team PB will go with on Saturday

Vigs
Knowle Conroy Lancashire Taylor
Alzate Smith Doughty
Twine Adebayo Anderson

Subs
McCormick Romanski New defender Landolo McCourt Diagoraga McGlashan

Injured
Richards Woolery Robertson

Suspended
Dunne

Others
Henry
Edwards
Pryce
Young
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 15:34:00 »

In an interview today with the Advertiser Phil Brown said that our budget last year was £2.6m whereas our current budget is £1.5m.  I would assume that Kaiyne Woolery's transfer fee must be included in the £2.6m figure. 
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 15:37:08 »

Is Lancashire fit enough? Does Nelson come straight in to partner Conroy or do they risk Romanski. Hoping its Nelson and we dont risk Lancashire too early.

I think most people are expecting a first choice midfield of Diagouraga, Doughty and Alzate. They should be fit enough to start. Liked the look of Smith but not convinced he was good enough defensively and i think Doughty/Alzate are a cut above going forward.

Mcglashan will start ahead of Twine i think.

Vigs
Knoyle, Conroy, Nelson, Taylor
Alzate, Diagoraga, Doughty
McGlashan, Adebayo, Anderson

Subs
McCormick, Lancashire, Romanksi, Ilandolo, McCourt, Smith, Twine.
Flashheart

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 15:49:10 »

In an interview today with the Advertiser Phil Brown said that our budget last year was £2.6m whereas our current budget is £1.5m.  I would assume that Kaiyne Woolery's transfer fee must be included in the £2.6m figure. 

Bear in mind that Flitcroft would not have started with 2.6m, it would have risen throughout the season as Brown's is also likely to. Also, I think Brown was confusing 'expenditure' with 'budget'.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 15:51:12 »

yes I assumed that 2.6 took in the January transfers.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 18:17:18 »

On paper, our line-up tomorrow must be better than 2017's vintage:

Vigs
Purkiss
Hussey
Lancashire
Conroy
Goddard
Linganzi
Dunne
Brophy
Mullin
Norris
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 18:22:18 »

So, Vigs the same, defence similar (Knoyle at the end of the season looked better than Purkiss), midfield of 2017 would have Reg prepping for the Great Conference Quiz of 2020 tickets, the forward line barely scratched 20 goals between them all season and Norris got most of his from the spot.  This years group don't have goalscorers pedigree's either.

That 2017 team nearly got into the play offs! (obviously with some bolstering, which is what Brown is alluding to come January).
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #41 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 18:31:17 »

I agree, this season we "appear" to have more strength all over the pitch than the same stage last year.

With Richards and Woolery still to come back to fitness too to strengthen attack.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 18:53:09 »

Is Lancashire fit enough? Does Nelson come straight in to partner Conroy or do they risk Romanski. Hoping its Nelson and we dont risk Lancashire too early.

I think most people are expecting a first choice midfield of Diagouraga, Doughty and Alzate. They should be fit enough to start. Liked the look of Smith but not convinced he was good enough defensively and i think Doughty/Alzate are a cut above going forward.

Mcglashan will start ahead of Twine i think.

Vigs
Knoyle, Conroy, Nelson, Taylor
Alzate, Diagoraga, Doughty
McGlashan, Adebayo, Anderson

Subs
McCormick, Lancashire, Romanksi, Ilandolo, McCourt, Smith, Twine.

Based on pre season games I think Twine deserves a start ahead of McGlashan, whilst Diagoraga looks well short of fitness and not sure Brown will throw Nelson in with very little chance to train with the rest of the team. Game on Tuesday against Chelsea youth will see a shuffling of the pack and give a few a chance to gain match fitness.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 19:01:23 »

I agree, this season we "appear" to have more strength all over the pitch than the same stage last year.

With Richards and Woolery still to come back to fitness too to strengthen attack.

Still don't see it... I'd say the back unit was pretty similar... yes the midfield is stronger with more permutations but we're weaker up front.

Who knows about Nelson... like 2 of our other signings they've experienced relegation from Div 4 to the Conference, hopefully they'll have learned something.

Given that PB has said he's working with a reduced budget, it's hardly surprising we don't look to have made the necessary strengthening in key departments, if auto is the aim.

However Accy showed last season that in Div 4 you can achieve a lot with a little, so here's hoping we might be surprised.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 20:26:55 »

Conroy and Lancashire started the first game last season, they might this, so Nelson is an addition.

Norris and Mullin is better in your eyes than Anderson, Adebayo & McGlashan.  I've not seen the latter two play in a game for us yet, so can't comment, although McGlashan always looked pretty decent when I have seen him.  I can confirm that Norris and Mullin did not pull up trees though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: