Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, how are we going to set up?  (Read 18571 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 11:21:33 »

I agree fully thats a major weakness we had last season and so far this pre season, but with PB its obviously not for the want of trying, he (it would seem) does not want to get more players in than he will use so is waiting for the right player to come along.

Yes its late for that going into the season in a few days but I personally wouldn't blame PB for not getting anyone in as he wants the right player, not just cloggers as Fliflop brought in last year.

One of the curiosities of last season is that we scored the most goals on the road, and conceded the most at home along with FGR.  Whilst the away form was title winning, you'll not get very far being so loose at the back in home games.

Getting a pattern of play which makes us harder to beat at home should be the number one priority for PB, so it will be interesting on Sat to see if there is any evidence of an improvement here.  Personally I'm not convinced, but a clean sheet would be most welcome.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 11:39:39 »

.......Personally I'm not convinced, but a clean sheet would be most welcome.
There's a surprise.

What formation you think is best for fighting a relegation battle, Reg?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 11:54:49 »

I imagine if we concede Saturday and don’t win “the fight to preserve our FL status” will be on. Whereas a victory with a clean sheet will “be too early to judge, give it 12-15 games”
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 11:57:26 »

I imagine if we concede Saturday and don’t win “the fight to preserve our FL status” will be on. Whereas a victory with a clean sheet will “be too early to judge, give it 12-15 games”
Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:00:05 »

ooooooooi, stop the pessamist shaming you anti-pessimist bastards
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:00:26 »

There's a surprise.

What formation you think is best for fighting a relegation battle, Reg?

Systems don't really get you anything.... it's more to do with personnel, and how they get the basics right or wrong. Last season's home form was very similar to relegated Barnet.  They won 8 drew 6 lost 9.... we won 9 drew 5 lost 9.

Last season we were undone on many occasions by individual error on basic skills... you can tinker with systems, which can help like when Flitcroft shifted to 3 at the back for Notts C, after the Luton debacle, but the difference may have been dropping Vigs, for R C-C, who at least looked interested in playing. Most sides have 2 or 3 systems they can use, as 3 subs gives that flexibilty... and they should be able to shift within games before subs as necessary.

You can tinker all you like though, but if the FB's, for example, allow balls into the box, it's likely you'll concede sooner or later.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:03:01 »

Based on the public information to date I'll go:

Vigouroux
Knoyle    Robertson           Conroy        Taylor
        Alzate         M.Smith         Doughty
        McClashan    Adebayo       Anderson
Peter Venkman

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:05:56 »

ooooooooi, stop the pessamist shaming you anti-pessimist bastards
Ah but there are different levels of pessism.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/dawn-memories/201710/not-all-pessimists-are-the-same

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:08:17 »

but you don't know what it's like! I genuinly wish I was an optimist, I mean both views are as likely to right/wrong as each other... but only one side of the coin smiles about it
Peter Venkman

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:12:53 »

but you don't know what it's like! I genuinly wish I was an optimist, I mean both views are as likely to right/wrong as each other... but only one side of the coin smiles about it
I wish there was a happy medium, and I don't mean Derek Acorah smoking weed.

It seems to be one end of the spectrum straight to the other.

I am more pessist than optimist, especially when it comes to all things STFC but surely its better to be sat nearer the middle than the lower end of the scale constantly?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:15:13 »

Yo'ure assuming its a choice!
Reg could of course  be trolling the hell out of us.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:20:32 »

Yo'ure assuming its a choice!
Optimist, pessimist, trollamist?

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:27:03 »

No. As some of us know from long experience, you should never read too much into the opener. In the same way, you should never read too much into say the 1st 5 games....

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=56655.0

After 10 games, you can usually start to see something..... but it's signs of progress or not that you're looking for.

For example there are those who think Vigs is a decent keeper. I don't see it as for me a keeper need sa strong mentality and I don't think he has it. However, maybe the penny has dropped for him and he'll start to develop... hopefully we'll see more from Knoyle, Keshi and Kaiyne (whne fit)
Peter Venkman

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:29:27 »

TBF Reg is right, you can never read much into the start of a season, first 6 to 10 games can set you up for the season if they go well but also its sometimes has little bearing on how the season will actually pan out.

We started poorly under PdC and Macari both time we have previously won this league, under Wise we were off to a flyer and stumbled over the promotion line in the end.

Flashheart

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 12:32:44 »

I honestly think that's the case sometimes. I usually read his waffle as more of an exercise in deliberately focusing on the negatives rather than a genuine opinion. That is when I read it, I tend to scroll past nowadays.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: