Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: League 2 hopes, fears & predictions 2018/2019  (Read 16399 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 14:08:17 »

I assumed he meant he didn't want to be loaded, with a great ground and playing in the premier league. And becoming plastic, hated, and losing identity and all the other downside shit that comes with it.

can see where he's coming from  Given a choice of 'bought success' and infinite stagnation I think I'd give the former a go. It's not an easy decision.

obviously I'd rather climb the leagues organically (no not the fgr type of organic). But that's fairly unrealistic now.

Are City thought of that way, I am perhaps biased as when I worked down that way City really are the Manchester club (or at least in terms of the Manc's I worked with who without exception were City through and through!).

I think a lot depends on baggage, when I was a kid everyone seemed to support Liverpool but that doesn't have the stigma that supporting Man Utd has now (coincidentally a number of my school friends now support Man U yet I don't recall anyone supporting them in West Oxfordshire when I was a sprog!)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 14:37:40 »

There are clear "bought the league" accusations. Mainly from fans of other clubs that used to be able to afford to buy the league once...

Not sure they have the same loftiness in the other departments as, say, Chelsea. Probably should have used them as the example.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 19:54:27 »

Based on......... a safe bet/the law of averages?

Just based on the perception that there has not been a significant improvement in both the playing and managerial staff. 

Nothing to see here
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 20:15:55 »

Hope going to The County Ground becomes less of a chore. Seeing Saturday as a new dawn because I've drifted away from it the last couple of seasons, mostly due to financial constraints, however.

Fear a third season in League 2, or worse.
Fear a bad start and disillusioned fanbase by the end of September.

Predictions: Top 10 at Christmas. Sneak into 3rd on the last day.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 20:19:06 »

Now, I can’t see how we are worse. Almost anyone would be an upgrade on Flitcroft - some of the worst performances I have ever witnessed.

Apart from Preston there is no player that has left I wanted to stay. I’m honestly looking forward to watching Alzate week after week. Dave has to be better than Linganzi. Doughty we know will be class at this level. McGlashan instead of McDermott, Vigs instead of RCC.

Add in the emergence of a couple of youngsters and you’ve got to be optimistic for a far better season than last season’s shite.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 20:24:52 »

Just based on the perception that there has not been a significant improvement in both the playing and managerial staff. 

Go back to your GP and either up the strength of your medication or change it.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 20:26:57 »

Go back to your GP and either up the strength of your medication or change it.

Thanks for your kind sentiments ...

Nothing to see here
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 20:31:35 »

I just hope for a better atmosphere around the club, and I think we are will going the right way.
An honest and open manager, hopefully more entertaining football, better results and a good start to the season will see the crowds come back and make it enjoyable to watch Swindon again. 
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 20:33:15 »

I personally think we start the season in slightly better shape than we did last season.

I hope we will strengthen in January if we are in a similar situation as last season.

I worry that Brown is indeed a shit Manager and despite enjoying watching some of the games at the tail end of last season, I am subjected to another 46 games of iFollow boredom.

Without seeing-us play, I'd say we are good for the play offs - that's also without knowing what the rest of league looks like, so just using last season as a guide.

If Mansfield do not end-up top 3 or promoted in the play offs, surely Flitcroft will be done for in terms of getting decent gigs for a while.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 20:41:42 »

If Mansfield do not end-up top 3 or promoted in the play offs, surely Flitcroft will be done for in terms of getting decent gigs for a while.
Nah, there's always some tosser with a pile of half-read self-help/management guru bullshit books by their bed will fall for his line of Brent-isms
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 22:59:37 »

Welcome to league Two. Swindon generally don't do mid table, either sniffing around the play off positions or bottom five.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 08:30:09 »

Thanks for your kind sentiments ...

You are most welcome.....
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, August 5, 2018, 21:34:30 »

Hoping to beat my 1 game per season of the last few years.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, August 6, 2018, 06:44:55 »

I’ve paid little attention...to well, anything STFC but

I think we still look suspect in defence. Think we will be better as we’ve cleared some deadwood and hopefully Vigs can get back to the form he’s capable of (ok it’s harsh to say he’s dipped in form having played one game but even L2 keepers shouldnt be making mistakes like he did Saturday)

Midfield looks a lot better all around. Happy with that.

Not sure we have enough goals in us. Adebayo will either be that awkward striker who causes defences all sorts of problems and do a job for the team but not score many goals or he’ll provide a very good return - can’t decide which.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #59 on: Monday, August 6, 2018, 07:39:06 »

Vigs in goal, well Vigs is Vigs, you will always get a howler or 3 a season but hes far far better a keeper than RCC or Moore.

Defensively Knoyle and Conroy are both good, Taylor gets drawn out of position too easily and doesn't have the pace left to get back when he is out of position but we rely on his dead ball deliveries in the team and he can put some excellent crosses in but he is not a defender.

Lancashire is a weak link at the back, hopefully Nelson will come in and replace him as for me he was last season and still is the weak link at the back, with Nelson in I am fairly happy with the back 4.

Midfield has been strengthened well, Doughty, Alzate, Toums, McGlashan and Smith are all far better than what we have had there in the last few seasons, jury is still out on McCourt until I have seen him more so thats far stronger.

Anderson looks to have sharpened up since last season his control is better and he has always had pace he just needs to add a better final ball/shot and he will be excellent. He no longer runs into trouble from a great position and ends up near the corner flag, a vast improvement.

Adebayo puts himself around his control isn't that great but he gets in good positions and can head a ball, his ability to jump needs a bit of work but is a much better target man than Norris and won more headers in 1 game thanNorris did all last season in the same role.

He reminds me of a young Nile Ranger, I doubt he will score more than 10 goals but his link up play and pace as well as his lay offs are worth him being in the side, could be a great target man in time without the baggage of Ranger.

We also have Dunne to come back who can cover all accross midfield but won't be a regular starter, Richards who will bag goals again this year if he stays fit and Woolery who if his pace is utilised can be a threat.

Overall I think we look to have a healthier squad than this time last season.

Oh and I forgot to add, I think Twine looked way out of his depth on Saturday he needs time out on loan IMO not ready yet for the first team, or certainly not playing against a huge defence like Macclesfield.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 6, 2018, 07:44:27 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: