Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The worrying about the squad thread  (Read 37876 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 11:50:36 »

Not exactly overwhelmed still, but we'll see come October/November what they are all like.

Will say as a statement of intent this summer has been at the bottom end. Hence my expectations are low, and so mid table up will be a bonus!

(Compulsory disclaimer: New signing make take us up as well as down. Current assessments may not reflect future performance. May contain nuts.)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 11:55:07 »

Not exactly overwhelmed still, but we'll see come October/November what they are all like.

Will say as a statement of intent this summer has been at the bottom end. Hence my expectations are low, and so mid table up will be a bonus!

(Compulsory disclaimer: New signing make take us up as well as down. Current assessments may not reflect future performance. May contain nuts.)

McCourt is a good age, has a bit of experience of Div 4 with Chesterfield and Torquay, OK they both went down but like Alzate with Orient the experience may help. Let's see what he can do.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 11:58:22 »

Rather than projecting ideas which aren't necessarily implied.... why not try answering the question posed in the thought experiment.... presumably you're sanguine about signing McCormick, I'm interested in your logic.

I am entirely indifferent about signing him (its creating an entirely unnecessary shit storm but that's life), he committed a crime, he did the time and as far as I am concerned has the right to get on with his life (as the victims families have also confirmed), but then again I am not desperately trying to shoehorn some manner of virtue out of this so what would I know.  Roll Eyes
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:02:33 »

I am more interested in the fact that Swindon fans are apparently of some manner of superior race who are worth more, after the previous attempts to compare to the holocaust its all gone a bit Mengeley?

Perhaps this thread needs renaming as its the fans worrying me more?

I assume he's trying to see where your boundaries lie, or if indeed you have any (not implying anything bad here by the way)

At least, that's how I've tried to explain the fact I can't deal with all crimes the same. My version was - would you treat any of these signings differently assuming that time had been served and all legal issues dealt with (my opinion in brackets).

1. a reformed  drug addict (no problem)
2. a still active drug addict (uncomfortable, as role model)
3. a still active drug addict that robbed and assaulted to get money for a fix (red line
4. a recovering alcoholic  (see 1)
5. a (recovering) alcoholic that has been convicted of drunk driving and is seeking treatment ( no problem)
6. as 5 + caused death by dangerous driving (red line)
7. a proven rapist or domestic violence abuser (red line)
8. a pedophile (red line)

If you would treat all of those the same, fair enough.

No doubt many will be puzzled by 5 and 6. For me the results of the crime influences the way I look at those people
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:03:25 »

I am entirely indifferent about signing him (its creating an entirely unnecessary shit storm but that's life), he committed a crime, he did the time and as far as I am concerned has the right to get on with his life (as the victims families have also confirmed)
Exactly my thoughts too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:05:33 »

I'm also indifferent, but I'm intrigued as to how which club the kids supported is at all relevant.

I'll answer that question you asked, Reg.. Whether or not the kids supported Swindon makes no difference whatsoever to my position on the matter. Now what, Reg? How is this even a thought exercise? (as you put it)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:07:37 »

Surely the point of any kind of boycott is that people know you’re boycotting - not just us fuckwits on here.

50 or so souls deciding not to attend matches seems pointless to me. Forgiveness is a wonderful thing if you can manage it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #112 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:08:37 »

I'm also indifferent, but I'm intrigued as to how which club the kids supported is at all relevant.

I'll answer that question you asked, Reg.. Whether or not the kids supported Swindon makes no difference whatsoever to my position on the matter. Now what, Reg? How is this even a thought exercise? (as you put it)
Exactly.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:15:31 »

I assume he's trying to see where your boundaries lie, or if indeed you have any (not implying anything bad here by the way)

At least, that's how I've tried to explain the fact I can't deal with all crimes the same. My version was - would you treat any of these signings differently assuming that time had been served and all legal issues dealt with (my opinion in brackets).

1. a reformed  drug addict (no problem)
2. a still active drug addict (uncomfortable, as role model)
3. a still active drug addict that robbed and assaulted to get money for a fix (red line
4. a recovering alcoholic  (see 1)
5. a (recovering) alcoholic that has been convicted of drunk driving and is seeking treatment ( no problem)
6. as 5 + caused death by dangerous driving (red line)
7. a proven rapist or domestic violence abuser (red line)
8. a pedophile (red line)

If you would treat all of those the same, fair enough.

No doubt many will be puzzled by 5 and 6. For me the results of the crime influences the way I look at those people

Oh I have boundaries, being too intolerant of people spouting bollocks to gain attention on line being one of them  Wink

Ultimately everyone is different and has their own reasons for taking whatever stance they take, be that based upon personal experience, moral compass etc etc. I have no issue with that and I am sure many have reached their own conclusions quietly and will act accordingly without the need to mark a big fuss which I entirely respect, likewise saying I am not going end of story.

In light of your list and in honour of the wider hyperbole which has infected this thread, you need to add...

9. Gassed a load of Jews (red line apparently, though may depend on which club they supported)
10. Killed a supporter on another club (jury still out on that one)
11. Killed a supporter of our team (red line)

Sorry I am being flippant, but as a learned gentleman said earlier WTAF, I cannot wait until McCormick signs a three year extension at the end of the season?  Hmmm
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:19:53 »

WTAF - the actual fuck is to test the point 'he's done his time so I welcome him' applies to everyone. Which you've already covered in the first part.

I cannot wait until McCormick signs a three year extension at the end of the season?  Hmmm

I hope he breaks his leg/is poached by Supermarine - just for balance. And its half true.
=================
================= <---------------Drawing a line under this. Back to squad talk
=================
Peter Venkman

« Reply #115 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:21:39 »

12. A convicted, time served, Granny mugger with a weapon and domestic violence abuser? who we did give a long contract to.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:26:07 »

WTAF - the actual fuck is to test the point 'he's done his time so I welcome him' applies to everyone. Which you've already covered in the first part.

To be fair, the WTAF actually only came into play once the holocaust and the value of different kids life's was parachuted into the debate.

As for worrying about the squad until we actually get to the start of the season and play a competitive games its all bluster and bullshit really, I tend to wait until people see them playing in the flesh in formation to pass judgement, I will, as every year, await the reports after the 1st game with interest (and trepidation).  

PB's been doing this for sometime, I trust him for now.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:26:53 »

Not well put.

I meant if you’re disappointed with young, unproven players then we hardly did well with last season’s older and proven player recruitment.

As I say, perception is no reflection of how they'll actually do on the pitch. But at least you can see (e.g.) signing a div 4 warhorse and someone who has banged in 15 goals a season forms a different perception to a couple of unknown who may well score 0, or 20...

Anyway we weren't that far off last year, Preston injury was key though I feel we'd have come up short anyway. And my opinion we are weaker than last year until we replace Norris/Mullin and get a couple of good CBs and a good CM in.

Which is apparently being worked on.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:30:30 »

As for worrying about the squad until we actually get to the start of the season and play a competitive games its all bluster and bullshit really, I tend to wait until people see them playing in the flesh in formation to pass judgement, I will, as every year, await the reports after the 1st game with interest (and trepidation). 

Absolutely, but its boring if we don't talk about anything until November - when the squad settles and August's/early September crazy 6-0 type scorelines are a thing of the past!

PB's been doing this for sometime, I trust him for now.

He has, you are probably right.

I wonder if he's worked under such a strict budget before. I mean Southend can't be flush, but didn't they sped a fair wedge on agent's fees alone.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 13:09:58 »

Absolutely, but its boring if we don't talk about anything until November - when the squad settles and August's/early September crazy 6-0 type scorelines are a thing of the past!

He has, you are probably right.

I wonder if he's worked under such a strict budget before. I mean Southend can't be flush, but didn't they sped a fair wedge on agent's fees alone.

Over 200K.

However I'm sure PB wasn't sold a pup by Power, he must have known the owner's modus operandi
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: