Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The worrying about the squad thread  (Read 37738 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 09:15:09 »

It certainly hasn’t got the whiff of a promotion push at the moment - I have no idea of the financial gain of promotion to L1 apart from an increase in attendances. Maybe Power doesn’t give a fuck if we go up or not - status quo for him.

For all we know maybe the youngsters will get a good run and may turn out well. That’s the problem, though, it’s all stick your fingers in your ears and hope.

Can only hope the actual football is better than the Flitcroft way. Surely it can’t be worse?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 09:23:46 »

Can only hope the actual football is better than the Flitcroft way. Surely it can’t be worse?

Good foootball is winning football... especially at home where most of the fans watch.  We've been poor at home for 3 seasons now... last season was odd given that the away form was probably in our top ten best historically, but not so many watch that.

Don't think there'll be much patience at the CG if we knock it around nicely at the opener v Macc but get undone by some hairy arsed punts up to Harry Smith.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 09:33:12 »

Certainly been in the US, but hasn't played much.... last serious FL 6 years ago. 34 in September. For me not an indicator that Power is serious about going up. Still 3 weeks however so provisional assessment atm.

He played 150 games in the states Reg.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 09:40:08 »

He played 150 games in the states Reg.

I was going by Soccerbase who have him down as 50 odd.  So at least he's been playing over the last 6 years.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 09:59:00 »

At first I was surprised given the latter potential scenario that PB was prepared to take the job.... so thought perhaps it indicated something better, however PB is on his 3rd wife and divorces don't come cheap, so perhaps he's just happy to have a job.
When you are out of work and looking for a job Reg, it must be attractive to be offered one!  He was only here to the end of last season so he must have seen something - and so did LP - to want to sign a two year contract!  The fact that he has attracted a decent no.2 and Matty Taylor was happy to sign on again does say something.  Hopefully he will be able to build a squad capable of mid table obscurity again!
« Last Edit: Friday, July 13, 2018, 12:48:00 by ronnie21 » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 10:13:08 »

When you are out of work and looking for a job Reg, it must be attractive to be offered one!  He was only here to the end of last season so he must have seen something - and so did LP - to want to sign a two year contract!  The fact that he has attracted a decent no.2 and Matty Taylor was happy to sign on again does day something.  Hopefully he will be able to build a squad capable of mid table obscurity again!

Certainly in the real world at 58 you'll be lucky to get a proper full time job. Something casual or a bit of consultancy far more likely. For PB, that would be a bit of ad hoc punditry on 5live, but I can't believe that pays too much.
hammondt1

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 11:21:46 »

Somebody mentioned they want to see eight more signings. I don't disagree, perhaps more. Realistically I can't see more than four maybe five. How many more do you think is an absolute minimum? 

Twitter-----@hammondt1
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 11:37:03 »

Assuming Lancashire and Conroy are fit

1 x CB
2 x CM
2 x ST (1 covering Richards)
1 x LB (cover)
1 x Winger (cover)

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 11:40:26 »

Somebody mentioned they want to see eight more signings. I don't disagree, perhaps more. Realistically I can't see more than four maybe five. How many more do you think is an absolute minimum? 

By my calcs as things stand we have 13 available fit outfield  players for the opener in 3 weeks.... that includes the kids like Romanski, Young and Edwards.  Further there are 4,  Richards, Lancashire, Woolery and Conroy injured  who hopefully will be available at some point. Dunne is suspended.  I make that 18 outfield players. Given ideally you want 2 for each position so a squad of 22, add on 2 keepers and we've 20. 3 more loans available + Sam seems to have signed, will give 24, so probabaly allowing for a couple of the kids mentioned to go on loan somewhere.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 12:07:58 »

I’m at the stage where I’d like to have had a couple more in, but shrugging as I realise that this is how Power does things.

I’d expect our full quota of loans - so another 3 - and 2, maybe 3, more permanents.

When they are all known, then is the time to express concern or delight. I still can’t imagine those coming in/already signed can be worse then the crap we’ve offloaded already - Preston excluded.

We weren’t that far away from the POs last season, so I honestly expect to be there or thereabouts again.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 12:45:01 »

I’m at the stage where I’d like to have had a couple more in, but shrugging as I realise that this is how Power does things.

Power could get away with it a bit more when emergency loans were available.... the Cooper/Lingy/Willaims season being a classic.  A joke squad, Balmy, Bangoura, Ojaama anyone  Hmmm  A few injuries and a terrible start which cost Cooper his job, could only be bailed out by being able to get in El Abd, Louis and Ben Gladwin in on emergency loan.

Not an option now as we found out the following season... no cavalry, you need them at the start.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 12:53:42 »

Balmy is now smoking in the French 3rd Division, or Ligue 3 if you will.

Ojaama has fared a little better, getting promoted last season and transferred to a Polish top division side.

As for Bangoura, there are a few on Wiki but I can’t find our particular one.

Where BOO these days?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 13:03:51 »

Isn't he in Belgium somewhere?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 13:05:32 »

Isn't he in Belgium somewhere?

Didn't he go back to Helmond Sport eventually?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, July 13, 2018, 13:06:29 »

Ah, one of his little ‘trips’
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: