Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The worrying about the squad thread  (Read 37980 times)
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 16:57:11 »

Just along from him, it would appear that Jaws from the James Bond films was a Town fan Smiley
And Susan Boyle just to the front of him.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 16:58:35 »

The first season I started going regularly, as a 9 year old.

That's so good!

4th from left at the back - Reggie Perrin's son Mark?
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 17:09:11 »

I had intended to go but the certain appearance of LMc put paid to that.  I do like the odd pre season friendly to see how things are shaping up, but always apply Smeeton's 3rd rule...... never read anything into pre-season friendlies.

My focus is always more on the little things around the place and how they add to the bigger picture.... how does the infrastructure look, have the bogs had a lick of paint, has any player been added to the frieze at the Arkells/TE corner... how is the PR doing, is there a fans meet players open event etc.

One huge positive in recent years is the work on the pitch, which since the days of Carson has been 1st class and TBF to Power, so far he has maintained that standard....  is it still the case  Hmmm

Of course it is your prerogative, Reg, but there are some promising, young players out there who deserve a bit of support. To me, the positivity around the prospect of watching players like Iandolo, Romanski, Twine and Alzate develop far outweighs the negativity that the signing of LMc has engendered (for some).
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 17:10:09 »

And Susan Boyle just to the front of him.

... and on the right hand end, Chunk from “The Goonies” (in anorak) and a young Kieran Trippier (holding ball).
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #79 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 17:11:15 »

That's so good!

4th from left at the back - Reggie Perrin's son Mark?
I love Danny Williams with his briefcase probably full of tins of baked beans cos he wouldn't eat that "foreign muck" Cheesy Nice to see Kevin Morris in happier times too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #80 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 17:13:05 »

John Trollope looks like Ian Dowie there!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 18:11:56 »

Of course it is your prerogative, Reg, but there are some promising, young players out there who deserve a bit of support. To me, the positivity around the prospect of watching players like Iandolo, Romanski, Twine and Alzate develop far outweighs the negativity that the signing of LMc has engendered (for some).

An altogether different issue.... I think all Town fans like to see players come through, but in this day and age it's very much a long shot.

Whilst watching other clubs kids come through on loan is OK, it doesn't really satisfy.  Of our own, if they are perceived as any good, like a Walcott or Matthew Mills, they'll soon be off somewhere like Soton... the best we can hope for is perhaps like Jordan Turnbull a loan back.

Louis Thompson, was decent, Power soon flogged him off. 
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 18:15:19 »

An altogether different issue.... I think all Town fans like to see players come through, but in this day and age it's very much a long shot.

Whilst watching other clubs kids come through on loan is OK, it doesn't really satisfy.  Of our own, if they are perceived as any good, like a Walcott or Matthew Mills, they'll soon be off somewhere like Soton... the best we can hope for is perhaps like Jordan Turnbull a loan back.

Louis Thompson, was decent, Power soon flogged him off. 

Yep, definitely only Power who'd have done that.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 18:30:34 »

You will still see him now by the players' entrance before and after games, home and away - every single game.
Think this is the guy who used to be a porter at the old PMH.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 18:36:44 »

The original point was about the enjoyment of watching yoiungsters come through, I just pointed out how difficult that is in the modern game. Louis had about 25 starts before we flogged him.... of course better than the ones like Henshall who get flogged before even getting a game.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 18:47:23 »

Kind of on a similar topic, I see one of our old scholars Jake Evans is now playing for Premiership Cardiff City.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 19:21:40 »

Whatever you do, next time you see him, don't ask for his view of Lee Power.  Zipped
Is he the guy with long hair, wears a cap and is always looking for autographs ?.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 19:28:48 »

Quote from: Reg Smeeton
The original point was about the enjoyment of watching yoiungsters come through, I just pointed out how difficult that is in the modern game. Louis had about 25 starts before we flogged him.... of course better than the ones like Henshall who get flogged before even getting a game.

been like that for a bit.

Was annoyed Lucas J got sold after so few games.

books need balancing and kids have ambition I suppose.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 20:06:17 »

No. The point is about reasons for supporting/not supporting Town this coming season, therefore not an 'altogether different issue'. You've decided the signing of LMc will stop you going. I've tried to put forward a suggestion why you might reconsider, based on something positive (watching the potential progress of young players). However, you've taken that positive and focused on it becoming a potential negative (if they are any good they won't be here for long).

I've no doubt you won't change your mind about watching Town until LMc is no longer at the club. That's fair enough, but I'd like to think that there might be some other incentive to get you back to watching sooner rather than later.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 20:07:52 »

Is he the guy with long hair, wears a cap and is always looking for autographs ?.

Yep.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: