Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The worrying about the squad thread  (Read 37736 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 19:13:19 »

I think pre season is a time for optimism -now matter how it turns out. Otherwise what’s the point?

You should have gone Saturday, Reg. You might have been pleasantly surprised.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:11:37 »

I think pre season is a time for optimism -now matter how it turns out. Otherwise what’s the point?

You should have gone Saturday, Reg. You might have been pleasantly surprised.

I had intended to go but the certain appearance of LMc put paid to that.  I do like the odd pre season friendly to see how things are shaping up, but always apply Smeeton's 3rd rule...... never read anything into pre-season friendlies.

My focus is always more on the little things around the place and how they add to the bigger picture.... how does the infrastructure look, have the bogs had a lick of paint, has any player been added to the frieze at the Arkells/TE corner... how is the PR doing, is there a fans meet players open event etc.

One huge positive in recent years is the work on the pitch, which since the days of Carson has been 1st class and TBF to Power, so far he has maintained that standard....  is it still the case  Hmmm

« Last Edit: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:13:34 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #62 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:20:56 »

One huge positive in recent years is the work on the pitch, which since the days of Carson has been 1st class and TBF to Power, so far he has maintained that standard....  is it still the case  Hmmm
Marcus Cassidy does a fantastic job, and that would be at any level of football even in the Premier League he would feel at home, when you see the standard of some pitches we played on last year which were frankly appalling, our pitch looks great, the pics are from last week.

And I agree that you can't really tell from pre season much at all but if you get some good results and performances then sometimes it can carry over into the new season.

Some seasons we have been awful pre season and gone on to have great seasons and visa versa.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:29:13 »

Marcus Cassidy does a fantastic job, and that would be at any level of football even in the Premier League he would feel at home, when you see the standard of some pitches we played on last year which were frankly appalling, our pitch looks great, the pics are from last week.

And I agree that you can't really tell from pre season much at all but if you get some good results and performances then sometimes it can carry over into the new season.

Some seasons we have been awful pre season and gone on to have great seasons and visa versa.

Looks first class again....  the best result from pre-season friendlies is to avoid injuries, we've already lost Richards  Sad 
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:36:23 »

I had intended to go but the certain appearance of LMc put paid to that.  I do like the odd pre season friendly to see how things are shaping up, but always apply Smeeton's 3rd rule...... never read anything into pre-season friendlies.

My focus is always more on the little things around the place and how they add to the bigger picture.... how does the infrastructure look, have the bogs had a lick of paint, has any player been added to the frieze at the Arkells/TE corner... how is the PR doing, is there a fans meet players open event etc.

Speaking of 'open days', it was good to see this pic from the 1977 one posted the other day. Is that you in the collar and tie, Reg?

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #65 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:44:43 »

The first season I started going regularly, as a 9 year old.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:46:08 »

Smiley That's ace PF. Completely captures the time. The Proph in all his glory.

One of the tie wearers looks a bit like SSW  Hmmm
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 10:04:04 »

The Late Great - Dave Syrett

Clems Army!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 11:34:37 »

always apply Smeeton's 3rd rule...... never read anything positive into pre-season friendlies.
Fixed it for you Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 11:35:38 »

Speaking of 'open days', it was good to see this pic from the 1977 one posted the other day. Is that you in the collar and tie, Reg?

Just along from him, it would appear that Jaws from the James Bond films was a Town fan Smiley
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 11:59:46 »

Just along from him, it would appear that Jaws from the James Bond films was a Town fan Smiley

There is a lot of whinging about the lack of investment from Power, but from the photo pre-season training seemed to be being done in the grounds of an industrial estate?
Panda Paws

« Reply #71 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 12:27:50 »

There is a lot of whinging about the lack of investment from Power, but from the photo pre-season training seemed to be being done in the grounds of an industrial estate?

That's the back of the Arkells no?
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 12:37:11 »

That's the back of the Arkells no?

Yep.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 13:09:13 »

You will still see him now by the players' entrance before and after games, home and away - every single game.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 15:56:53 »

You will still see him now by the players' entrance before and after games, home and away - every single game.

Whatever you do, next time you see him, don't ask for his view of Lee Power.  Zipped
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: