Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The worrying about the squad thread  (Read 37896 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 14:14:54 »

Dpughty to Oxford.

Playing for them today
Played in the friendly defeat by the mighty Hampton and Richmond
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #46 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 14:23:56 »

Played in the friendly defeat by the mighty Hampton and Richmond
He has been invited back to play for the Pox on Tuesday in their next friendly, apparently he didn't play too well for them, they split their first team between 2 games yesteday a 3-1 defeat at Hampton and a 5-1 win at Pox City.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 15:19:43 »

Don't Panic.......

Not panic... pissed off more like.

Last season I thought there was some evidence that Power had learned something.  This campaign, thus far, it's back to the previous, lack of signings in time to integrate them, and reliance on loan kids and non league standard punts. Throw in the wholly needless signing of LMc, which has immediately driven away some fans of long standing away and it's not a pretty sight.

Power pissed about risking our Div 3 status, and we the fans paid the price.... I've seen nothing this close/pre season to suggest he's serious about righting that wrong
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 15:42:31 »

Just seen in LP at faro airport wearing some very fetching stone island shorts
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 15:46:46 »

C'mon tans, you've got to photograph that.

Tansmedia content.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 15:48:43 »

Me and magicroundabout were going to go and chat to him but by the time we got back he had gone
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 15:51:15 »

Not panic... pissed off more like.

Last season I thought there was some evidence that Power had learned something.  This campaign, thus far, it's back to the previous, lack of signings in time to integrate them, and reliance on loan kids and non league standard punts. Throw in the wholly needless signing of LMc, which has immediately driven away some fans of long standing away and it's not a pretty sight.

Power pissed about risking our Div 3 status, and we the fans paid the price.... I've seen nothing this close/pre season to suggest he's serious about righting that wrong

Reg, last season the early signings were largely crap/mediocre: Purkiss, Robertson, Lancashire, Hussey, McDermott, Linganzi, Dunne, Mullin, Woolery, H.Smith.  Unless you have a lot of money to spend (like Mansfield, Lincoln and Notts County), the only players available early on tend to be players who no one else really wants, hence why we were able to bring in Purkiss, Robertson, Lancashire, Dunne, Linganzi early last season.  I'd rather wait and get the right people in.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 15:58:33 »

Yay! He’s going to re-sign Tijane Reis.   
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 16:21:22 »

Reg, last season the early signings were largely crap/mediocre: Purkiss, Robertson, Lancashire, Hussey, McDermott, Linganzi, Dunne, Mullin, Woolery, H.Smith.  Unless you have a lot of money to spend (like Mansfield, Lincoln and Notts County), the only players available early on tend to be players who no one else really wants, hence why we were able to bring in Purkiss, Robertson, Lancashire, Dunne, Linganzi early last season.  I'd rather wait and get the right people in.

No, the signings were largely fit for purpose.  Bin the trying to develop kids for sale, and try and actually win some matches, keeping the previous model could easily have led us down the Chesterfied path.  We're in Div 4 let's have a Div 4 style team.

As things stand we have some players who are good enough for Div 4.... and some unknown kids and punts.  I guess what PB gets in this week will tell us more about our prospects.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 16:54:17 »

No, the signings were largely fit for purpose.  Bin the trying to develop kids for sale, and try and actually win some matches, keeping the previous model could easily have led us down the Chesterfied path.  We're in Div 4 let's have a Div 4 style team.

As things stand we have some players who are good enough for Div 4.... and some unknown kids and punts.  I guess what PB gets in this week will tell us more about our prospects.

The fact that we didn’t get in the playoffs surely means the team clearly was not fit for purpose? At our level youth development is a key part of every clubs survival model isn’t it? The previous model ‘could have lead us down the Chesterfield path’, as could have other models. As an example, throwing huge amounts of money at journeymen/experienced div4 players can also unravel. Why should we have a Div 4 style of football? By that I assume you mean a DF style route one brickshithouse style players? I can see that going down a storm at the ECCG.

I agree with your last paragraph, though a blindingly obvious comment.

I have maintained that before the final whistle of last season both LP & PB were working in tandem for this season. After all it did not take to long after they sat down to discuss ‘next season’ for them to agree on PB being our next messiah. In my mind they both new halfway through the ten games we were not going up. I would like to think these last few pieces of the jigsaw puzzle have been well thought out and executed. They may not blow our socks off, however though, as as long as this time next year we are looking forward to a new season in Div3 who cares?
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 16:56:07 »

They weren't fit for purpose.  They weren't ultimately good enough.  Spending c.£300,000 on Woolery isn't a mistake that a club like Swindon can afford to make.  Our league position was very flattering under Flitcroft IMO.  McGlashan isn't a punt as Brown has worked with him.  Martin Smith isn't a punt as McDonald has worked with him.  McCormick isn't a punt.  Alzate is v.highly regarded in football and has previous L2 experience.  I suppose using your logic bringing any young player on loan is probably a punt.  Brown is a pragmatist so I imagine that we'll have a 'Div 4 style team'.  Hopefully it will be better than the uncontrolled, tactically inept, pinball of Flitcroft.  I'm reasonably optimistic.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 17:28:00 »

They weren't fit for purpose.  They weren't ultimately good enough.  Spending c.£300,000 on Woolery isn't a mistake that a club like Swindon can afford to make.  Our league position was very flattering under Flitcroft IMO.  McGlashan isn't a punt as Brown has worked with him.  Martin Smith isn't a punt as McDonald has worked with him.  McCormick isn't a punt.  Alzate is v.highly regarded in football and has previous L2 experience.  I suppose using your logic bringing any young player on loan is probably a punt.  Brown is a pragmatist so I imagine that we'll have a 'Div 4 style team'.  Hopefully it will be better than the uncontrolled, tactically inept, pinball of Flitcroft.  I'm reasonably optimistic.

When Flitcroft bailed out we were in the PO's but undone by injuries to Lancashire and Preston.  Signing players a gaffer has previously worked with doesn't mean an awful lot.  Sturrock ahd worked with Steve Adams and Hasney Aljofree and they weren't up to much.  Luke had worked with George Barker and Anton Rodgers.

As regards PB..... here's what you had to say at the time of his possible appointment...

Hope it's not Phil Brown - a first class tit.

I'm not sure what has changed since for you to elevate your thoughts to optimistic...
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 18:25:54 »

When Flitcroft bailed out we were in the PO's but undone by injuries to Lancashire and Preston.  Signing players a gaffer has previously worked with doesn't mean an awful lot.  Sturrock ahd worked with Steve Adams and Hasney Aljofree and they weren't up to much.  Luke had worked with George Barker and Anton Rodgers.

As regards PB..... here's what you had to say at the time of his possible appointment...

I'm not sure what has changed since for you to elevate your thoughts to optimistic...

I don't think we would have made the play-offs had Lancashire and Preston remained fit.  I think we had a lot of luck, which was highlighted to some extent by the poor goal difference.

Yes, signing players a manager has worked with doesn't necessarily work out, but it can't be described as a punt.  It might prove to be ill-advised, but it is not a punt.

Flattered that you trawled through my previous posts.  I think Phil Brown is a tit and I would have preferred someone else as manager.  The appointment of McDonald as his assistant raised my expectations as he is a v.good coach and will add qualities Brown lacks, I think.  Several people I know who went to the West Brom friendly thought that Swindon's football was better than last season particularly the passing and organisation with Anderson markedly better.  I'm happy enough with the signings so far (though clearly we need c.4 more players as Brown acknowledges).  My Leyton Orient friend thinks Alzate will be v.good for us.  Putting that altogether is why I'm reasonably optimistic.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 18:43:25 »

Not worried...usual shit expectations..

Get it done early and bedded in....

Nope...here we fucking go again..

Never know your strongest team til around October..

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 19:02:32 »

I don't think we would have made the play-offs had Lancashire and Preston remained fit.  I think we had a lot of luck, which was highlighted to some extent by the poor goal difference.

Yes, signing players a manager has worked with doesn't necessarily work out, but it can't be described as a punt.  It might prove to be ill-advised, but it is not a punt.

Flattered that you trawled through my previous posts.  I think Phil Brown is a tit and I would have preferred someone else as manager.  The appointment of McDonald as his assistant raised my expectations as he is a v.good coach and will add qualities Brown lacks, I think.  Several people I know who went to the West Brom friendly thought that Swindon's football was better than last season particularly the passing and organisation with Anderson markedly better.  I'm happy enough with the signings so far (though clearly we need c.4 more players as Brown acknowledges).  My Leyton Orient friend thinks Alzate will be v.good for us.  Putting that altogether is why I'm reasonably optimistic.

Fair enough, at least you've given it some thought. I'll need a bit more convincing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: