Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: McCormick  (Read 53748 times)
akay69

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 20:04:11 »

Maybe so, but you would still be responsible for your own actions. A court of law would not accept if I convinced you it was a good idea to do something potentially dangerous. You might receive a lesser sentence if you're lucky but the question was asked, in more brief terms;

Have you never made a mistake, whereby the consequences could be tragic?

This includes something like crossing the road when you know there is a car coming. Sounds ridiculous? No. You don't intend to hurt anyone but you slip up on the road. The car hits you. You survive, the driver is thrown out of the window and the impact of his skull on the road kills him. That guys family changes forever. It's a tragic accident. You regret running across that road knowing full well it wasn't safe to. Yet it happened. You now have to live with that decision (which at the time seems very trivial and you were completely aware that you were making it).

On another note, maybe cars need to have locking sensors on them that recognise if you're off your rocker, or require you to enter a pin to start the car. If you get it wrong it rings a call centre and they can identify if you're fit to drive via a series of questions. Can even call the police so they can arrive and prevent even a drink drive charge and/or tragic incident happening. Not foolproof by any means but preventative measures.

To the best of my knowledge I have never came anywhere close to causing the death or serious harm of anyone, and if the death of a person was caused by my own disgraceful behaviour of which was completely avoidable, then I would expect to spend to the rest of my life in prison or maybe be given the death penalty as mercy, and personally I apply the same standards to others that I hold myself to.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 20:17:11 »

See, I would say that the 'baggage' that comes with him, is more down to the baggage/beef that people choose to have with him.
I would say that's true and whether that's unfair or not, STFC/Phil Brown do not want to be having to deal with it. Ultimately, is LM's presence going to have a positive effect on our season? I can't see it. I think Reg is right, his next job is going to have to have to be much less visible. He managed to squeeze a few more years out of playing because of his history at Argyle. That's it for him now I think.

Anyway...

My cousin's dog's best friend's mother in law spotted a car at the CG today with the number plate.... SL0 MAS....that's all I'm saying...
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 20:19:57 »

Luongos coming back?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 20:51:45 »

have to say while not panicking I'm feelingly increasingly disappointed we didn't have/get targets early doors.

the trialists don't fill me with confidence, based in their pedigree.

I'm sure it'll all shake out in the wash, but if I had to guess where we'd be as of today I'd say relegation battle.

stfc are keeping their cards very close to their chest (hopefully it's just that)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 21:17:52 »

It's obviously a very difficult, emotive subject. However people feel, there is no right or wrong point of view.

I personally think its interesting to compare how people reacted to Jimmy Davis's tragic death and how they reacted to Luke McCormick - the same people I'm sure in a lot of cases. I've not researched the incidents in microscopic detail but I'm pretty sure its fair to say that what each of them did was virtually identical. They both got into and drove a high powered vehicle on a motorway only a short amount of time after consuming a shed load of alcohol - so much so that there is no way they could not have known they were over the limit.

The consequences of each one's actions clearly were totally different. However, these could easily have been reversed. Luke McCormick didn't intend to kill two innocent kids and severely injure their dad. Conversely, it was only good fortune (if you can call it that) that meant that Jimmy Davis didn't kill anyone else but himself. McCormick lived, Davis died - could easily have been the other way round.

McCormick is reviled (understandably), Davis attains virtual saint hood. That's certainly what I remember of that very sad time in 2003. But how ironic - Neither of them showed any regards for human life and behaved in an unimaginably selfish, reckless manner and destroyed lives but are thought of in such contrasting terms.

On the money 100%
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 21:19:39 »

To draw a line under my comments, I totally understand why people feel aggrieved by the idea of LM and as OST said, there's no real right or wrong answer, so to speak. What will be, will be.

Back to transfers...

The cards do seem incredibly close. Closer than previous seasons? or have we just failed at getting some of our targets but not been revealed to us?

Hmm, I still expect some advanced movements, soonish. God help us if we were ever in a position to qualify for a European Cup comp as the qualifying rounds have started already. I mean via a domestic cup. No real danger but it is a possibility. We just wouldn't be ready.

Not panicking...yet.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 21:22:43 »

To the best of my knowledge I have never came anywhere close to causing the death or serious harm of anyone, and if the death of a person was caused by my own disgraceful behaviour of which was completely avoidable, then I would expect to spend to the rest of my life in prison or maybe be given the death penalty as mercy, and personally I apply the same standards to others that I hold myself to.

Wow, it must be so fucking hard to be humble when you are perfection personifide. Fellow TEF members, I give you Saint akay69 patron saint of the smell free early morning shit.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 21:30:31 »

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. PB said:
- Slashed budget
- Offers made to several players
- Players offered to him in positions where we had numbers
- Want players who want to play for the club (implying more money on offer elsewhere)

I hope this set of trialists turn out to all be Charlie Austin's!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 21:42:30 »

well yes, a few Austin wouldn't go amiss! Austin though at least scored goals at a lower level.

Mullings has played for 14 clubs in 6 years and been prolific at none. Maybe he'll click, but you get my point.

wrt the other points, it's just that Brown knew what we needed, hit the ground running. maybe he's got things in the go, but I thought he'd be all over it and it would be different this time. so far, same no as previous seasons
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 21:58:31 »

Yeah I thought there would be more early doors, and was getting a bit frustrated. But then I thought back to other seasons early and late signings, and we're probably ahead of where we normally are, so hopefully a sign of quality, rather than replica pub players coming in. I also realised barely any prem or championship clubs have signed anyone yet, just a few lower league oiks like ourselves signing a few on expectation. Anyone would think there is a world cup on or something
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 22:05:31 »

Wow, it must be so fucking hard to be humble when you are perfection personifide. Fellow TEF members, I give you Saint akay69 patron saint of the smell free early morning shit.

As admirable as it would be, I think Akay missed the point I was getting at. We all make mistakes/decisions that we are unaware of sometimes that they could cause significant danger. It's just we get away with it more than not, a lot of times. Maybe we're luckier than we think?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 22:10:06 »

As admirable as it would be, I think Akay missed the point I was getting at. We all make mistakes/decisions that we are unaware of sometimes that they could cause significant danger. It's just we get away with it more than not, a lot of times. Maybe we're luckier than we think?

Nope he got it, just he's next in line for white smoke signals.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, July 6, 2018, 00:38:14 »

If you fuck up, then you need to accept there are consequences. I would prefer it if one of the consequences for LM is that he never plays for the Town. If PB thinks it's important that he does, I'll need to have a long think about. I get he's trying to max what appears to be a reduced budget.. but is it seriously worth it  Hmmm

Presumably LM is prepared to sit on the bench, for a modest sum, whereas Moore was offered the same modest sum, but would rather get some games with a Conference club for the same sort of money.

I guess at the end of the day, it will be results which matter, people can be unconcerned about Putin/May spreading Novochuk around the Wiltshire countryside as long as we get a result v Sverige
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #43 on: Friday, July 6, 2018, 09:27:37 »

It's obviously a very difficult, emotive subject. However people feel, there is no right or wrong point of view.

I personally think its interesting to compare how people reacted to Jimmy Davis's tragic death and how they reacted to Luke McCormick - the same people I'm sure in a lot of cases. I've not researched the incidents in microscopic detail but I'm pretty sure its fair to say that what each of them did was virtually identical. They both got into and drove a high powered vehicle on a motorway only a short amount of time after consuming a shed load of alcohol - so much so that there is no way they could not have known they were over the limit.

The consequences of each one's actions clearly were totally different. However, these could easily have been reversed. Luke McCormick didn't intend to kill two innocent kids and severely injure their dad. Conversely, it was only good fortune (if you can call it that) that meant that Jimmy Davis didn't kill anyone else but himself. McCormick lived, Davis died - could easily have been the other way round.

McCormick is reviled (understandably), Davis attains virtual saint hood. That's certainly what I remember of that very sad time in 2003. But how ironic - Neither of them showed any regards for human life and behaved in an unimaginably selfish, reckless manner and destroyed lives but are thought of in such contrasting terms.
Amen.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, July 6, 2018, 09:41:03 »

If you fuck up, then you need to accept there are consequences. I would prefer it if one of the consequences for LM is that he never plays for the Town. If PB thinks it's important that he does, I'll need to have a long think about. I get he's trying to max what appears to be a reduced budget.. but is it seriously worth it  Hmmm

Presumably LM is prepared to sit on the bench, for a modest sum, whereas Moore was offered the same modest sum, but would rather get some games with a Conference club for the same sort of money.

I guess at the end of the day, it will be results which matter, people can be unconcerned about Putin/May spreading Novochuk around the Wiltshire countryside as long as we get a result v Sverige

Well said.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: