Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 70 Years of the NHS.... - The Swindon Link  (Read 6705 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 09:54:44 »

Yesterday was the 70th anniversary of the founding of the National Health Service in 1948. The architect of the NHS, Aneurin Bevan, Minister of Health at the time, found the GWR’s provision of health care for its workers in Swindon was the perfect blueprint for his plan, noting: “There it was: a complete health service. All we had to do was to expand it to embrace the whole country.”

The GWR’s welfare provision at Swindon dated back to 1847 when the Medical Fund Society was founded. Swindon Works became the only industrial organisation in the world that required membership of a medical fund as a condition of employment.

As the Works expanded, so did the Medical Fund. It opened a hospital in 1871, whilst in 1878 it began providing artificial limbs – made by craftsmen from the Carriage and Wagon Works – and nine years later opened its first dental surgery.

The GWR Medical Fund Society thus anticipated that it was a role model for a future which would see health care provided by the state. The Society’s 1917 Annual Medical Report said: “State Medical Service will undoubtedly be an ideal for the future but our present Society, properly organised and worked, could be made a model in miniature for a state organisation.”

When the founders of the NHS adopted the catchphrase of ‘cradle to grave’ to describe the scope of the service they wanted, they found that Swindon had already long since established such a service.

Something to be proud of!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 09:58:32 »

PMH was the first hospital to be built and fully funded by the NHS, and GWH was one of the first PFI hospitals too.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 10:03:28 »

Is there an IT Team in this? https://www.brighterfuturesgwh.nhs.uk/events/family-fun-day-football-tournament/

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
REDBUCK

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 10:48:42 »

Yesterday was the 70th anniversary of the founding of the National Health Service in 1948. The architect of the NHS, Aneurin Bevan, Minister of Health at the time, found the GWR’s provision of health care for its workers in Swindon was the perfect blueprint for his plan, noting: “There it was: a complete health service. All we had to do was to expand it to embrace the whole country.”

The GWR’s welfare provision at Swindon dated back to 1847 when the Medical Fund Society was founded. Swindon Works became the only industrial organisation in the world that required membership of a medical fund as a condition of employment.

As the Works expanded, so did the Medical Fund. It opened a hospital in 1871, whilst in 1878 it began providing artificial limbs – made by craftsmen from the Carriage and Wagon Works – and nine years later opened its first dental surgery.

The GWR Medical Fund Society thus anticipated that it was a role model for a future which would see health care provided by the state. The Society’s 1917 Annual Medical Report said: “State Medical Service will undoubtedly be an ideal for the future but our present Society, properly organised and worked, could be made a model in miniature for a state organisation.”

When the founders of the NHS adopted the catchphrase of ‘cradle to grave’ to describe the scope of the service they wanted, they found that Swindon had already long since established such a service.

Something to be proud of!
[/quote

The residence of Tredegar are claiming that their miners medical fund was the example Bevan quoted as the example

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 12:12:49 »

Why oh why do that post? Reg will be typing with a sex face shortly, and then his allotment will go to seed through neglect, whilst he espouses the glory of labour long gone for ever and ever and ever. + one day.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 12:15:29 »

There is, and I'm playing.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 12:35:48 »

Why oh why do that post? Reg will be typing with a sex face shortly....

Its my good deed for the elderly today!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 13:28:00 »

There is, and I'm playing.

I'm bringing my camera then ;-)

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 14:20:45 »

Who's your mrs playing for?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 14:26:24 »

Now that would be a laugh....

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 14:42:23 »

There's loads of mixed teams and an all girls team too.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 15:35:09 »

There's loads of mixed teams and an all girls team too.

Now Reg will definitely be there.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 15:54:04 »

The all girls team are from the Physio department... No, i'm not joking Cheesy
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 17:47:36 »

Have been supporting Swindon and really looking forward to the mahoosive 50th anniversary of the League Cup win next March.

Excuse my ignorance therefore but what is so big about the "70th" anniversary of the NHS?

I don't recall the 65th, the 60th or even the huge 50th anniversary celebrations?  Certainly no celebration threads on here.  Perhaps I should broaden my reading.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, July 5, 2018, 18:43:09 »

Regardless of history, the NHS has become a monstrous behemoth in desperate need of reform along apolitical lines.

Anything that will reduce the death rate in comparison with the majority of European systems would be good.

Instilling some idea of value for human life regardless of age or condition across the whole organisation would be a good starting point.

Any politician that uses the NHS as a weapon is a cunt.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: