Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ernie Hunt RIP  (Read 6427 times)
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, June 21, 2018, 16:24:32 »

A disappointing, incomplete and, frankly, amateurish piece now appears on the OS. They couldn’t even find a picture of him wearing Town kit. It looks like one from his time at Everton, which they fail to acknowledge in the write up.  No
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, June 21, 2018, 16:25:41 »

Shit news
RIP Ernie
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, June 21, 2018, 16:41:21 »

Way before my time but the last game I went to away at Coventry they were having a Legends day and paraded the legends around the ground (think it was half time but could have been pre game)

Obviously the Legends came past us and the decibels shot up when Ernie Hunt came past the Town fans, so clearly remembered and highly thought of. 

RIP
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, June 21, 2018, 17:03:39 »

Way before my time but the last game I went to away at Coventry they were having a Legends day and paraded the legends around the ground (think it was half time but could have been pre game)

Obviously the Legends came past us and the decibels shot up when Ernie Hunt came past the Town fans, so clearly remembered and highly thought of. 

RIP

Ernie would be in our top ten players of all time.  Capped by England at U 23 level.  Arguably the greatest Swindon born player at STFC.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, June 21, 2018, 18:26:30 »

Ernie would be in our top ten players of all time.  Capped by England at U 23 level.  Arguably the greatest Swindon born player at STFC.

Agreed, glad I saw him play in the Bert Head days. Always thought that he was worth more than the reputed £40,000 that Wolves paid for him, an undoubted talent.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, June 21, 2018, 19:25:06 »

great memories of Ernie and Bert Head's babes.  We went to Luton who were then in Div 1 (the old div 1) and we beat them fair and square.  Ernie eas interviewed on Match of the Day (or the equivalent) and he was asked if there were any more like him at home, quick as a flash he said, "no, but we've got a lodger that tries".  That lodger was Mike Summerbee!!
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, June 21, 2018, 19:27:02 »

To supplement their earnings in the summer both Ernie and Buzzer worked as grave diggers!!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, June 22, 2018, 07:49:52 »

Not old enough to remember him playing for Town, but do remember THAT goal for Coventry & my Dad telling me about how good he was for Swindon.

As DV says I recall that day at Coventry where he got a deservedly great reception from the Town fans, and spent longer waving to us than the Coventry fans.

RIP Ernie

PS Didn't realise that his name was actually Roger
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, June 22, 2018, 08:29:12 »

Guessing that was something to do with the other Roger Hunt around maybe? Either that or a tory conspiracy. Reg will know either way Wink
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, June 22, 2018, 08:48:13 »

Also some more of him in this film scoring a couple too at the end, a good watch if you haven't seen it.

Thanks very much for the link.  Good memories of Ernie and the rest of that great team.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #25 on: Friday, June 22, 2018, 08:58:35 »

Thanks very much for the link.  Good memories of Ernie and the rest of that great team.
You are welcome mate, its a great insight into how football used to be before the money came into the game, a great watch.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: