Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The world Cup Russia 2018 Thread  (Read 201764 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1365 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 06:41:04 »

What a excellent World Cup. Some brilliant games. No trouble/violence, well none reported. VAR, on the whole, seemed to work quite well.

Think the best team lost today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-44844447/paris-celebrations-turn-violent-on-the-champs-elysees
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1366 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 06:49:11 »

thought var was a very mixed bag . great for offsides and nothing subjective. Frustratingly slowed the game for no better result at other times

But even yesterday France got an underserved free kick and a penalty from a what must have been the best disguised deliberate handball ever made. Shit refs remain shit.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1367 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 07:35:55 »

VAR needs looking at. There seems to be no consistency.

Was watching the tennis over the weekend and though why not give the 2 captains a set number of challenges, per half or a game. Once the challenges have been used, thats it.
Panda Paws

« Reply #1368 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 08:07:26 »

VAR needs looking at. There seems to be no consistency.

Was watching the tennis over the weekend and though why not give the 2 captains a set number of challenges, per half or a game. Once the challenges have been used, thats it.

VAR does not make decisions. It just gives the ref more time and information to make a decision. Any inconsistency is down to the referee on the field.

Yesterday's pen was not a VAR controversy, it was just a stupid call by the ref.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1369 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 08:08:52 »

If this happened in England the world would be up in arms about English hooligans...again, especially the Scots and Welsh.

As its the French nobody bats an eyelid.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1370 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 08:47:08 »

France are efficient with such a young squad. Could dominate European/World football for next 8 years

I must confess I wasn't really paying full attention to the final as I was catching up with the Tour at the same time, but did I hear them say that the average age of the French team was actually younger than the England team that we are getting all a lather about?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1371 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 08:49:31 »

No trouble in Russia I meant. The media once again over hyped pre-tournament.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1372 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:16:55 »

VAR does not make decisions. It just gives the ref more time and information to make a decision. Any inconsistency is down to the referee on the field.

Yesterday's pen was not a VAR controversy, it was just a stupid call by the ref.
It was my understanding that the ref's watching VAR give the ref on the pitch a signal if they think something should be looked at and then the ref makes a decision if he looks at it.

I may be wrong.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1373 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:20:14 »

It was my understanding that the ref's watching VAR give the ref on the pitch a signal if they think something should be looked at and then the ref makes a decision if he looks at it.

I may be wrong.

I think that the off field crowd can made a decision is a blatant error has been made, however if its a borderline case they can just refer it back to the on field ref to make the final decision as per yesterday. The thing with yesterday was it really came down to intent and I am not sure how that can be decided via watching a video?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1374 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:30:55 »

I thought it was a pen...  I based my case on Alan Shearer thinking it wasn't.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #1375 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:50:29 »

Pen for me..

His hand (unluckily) seemed to follow the patch of the ball.

The freekick was proper cheating and Shearer having a pop at the ref was unfair.

If a Gippo cons an old lady on her doorstep you don't blame the old lady...

Clems Army!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1376 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:52:29 »

No trouble in Russia I meant. The media once again over hyped pre-tournament.

The locals were under strict instruction to keep it clean, or else.......
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #1377 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 10:15:49 »

I thought it was a pen...  I based my case on Alan Shearer thinking it wasn't.

I missed most the game beause I forgot it was on. But that's enough to convinve me.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #1378 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 10:21:21 »

Hopefully Pussy Riot won't be "disappeared" after the pitch invasion.

As town fans we have also been on the receiving end of a “violation of spectators’ rights” over the last three seasons.

Not much chivalry on display with the brolly hogging at the presentation.

Very enjoyable tournament and for once no one complained about the Germans getting the beach towels down first.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1379 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 11:16:34 »

did I hear them say that the average age of the French team was actually younger than the England team that we are getting all a lather about?

They did, but I wasn’t convinced, so i checked.

The team that started for France yesterday was exactly the same age as the England team that started against Croatia in terms of years.
If you go down to days the French team was a combined 500 days older.

I guess they may have meant squad instead of just the starting XI
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94   Go Up
Print
Jump to: