Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 ... 94   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The world Cup Russia 2018 Thread  (Read 201504 times)
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #1260 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:09:48 »

We did, two years ago. I think we went further than you. It's good to see little old Wales can still stoke the fire in you. #noisyneighbours

How'd Wales get on against England by the way?
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #1261 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:13:48 »

let's talk about Wales then

1 euro championship finals 2016 (exceptional to get to semi)
1 world cup finals 1958
0 rugby world cup wins

it's not exactly a glowing list of achievements. and the opposite of noisy
For the size of our country I think that's pretty reasonable. Other than one WC on home soil the 'home of football' hasn't exactly pulled up any trees on an international scale other than the odd glorious failure.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #1262 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:14:25 »

Until, our ‘elite’ players get some experience playing their club football abroad it’s always going to be this way.

I don’t really see it that way. There are a million and one ways to win a World Cup, FA Cup, League, Euros, etc. Young inexperienced teams win, experienced teams win. Defensive teams win, and lose. So do attacking teams. Germany have failed - and a good number of them play outside the Bundesliga. Neither have Spain. And they didn’t win previous tournaments because players played abroad. They won because of the genius of Xavi and Iniesta (playing at Barca) or Mueller’s goals for Bayern, and a bit of luck, and just because they were better.

When a side doesn’t win, there is a temptation to look at what it isn’t doing, and use that as the reason for not winning. Equally, if a side does well, there’s a temptation to look at all of its characteristics and decide they are “good”. That just can’t be right.  This side did well through a combination of luck, skill, leadership and a great attitude, and probably a few things we’ll never know. Each time a side wins, it will win differently.

This tournament just proved that there is nothing fundamentally flawed about the England set up and the way we now develop players. We just need to do it slightly, just slightly - better.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1263 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:15:10 »

I think Freddy is just jumping on the "England bash" bandwagon. The bitterness is not unexpected, it's a minor irritant from the usual suspects. I suppose it's easier to make a dig when you have nothing to get excited about with your own national side. Normal.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #1264 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:15:33 »

Quote from: StfcRusty link=topic57443.msg1463967#msg1463967 date=1531346988
How'd Wales get on against England by the way?
Who finished top of the group? Wow, I'm even feeling petty myself here  Too Cool

Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #1265 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:19:21 »

I've got a picture somewhere of Bale getting skinned by Nathan Byrne.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1266 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:20:50 »

For the size of our country I think that's pretty reasonable. Other than one WC on home soil the 'home of football' hasn't exactly pulled up any trees on an international scale other than the odd glorious failure.

Still done better than your lot in any sport you can think of
woolster

« Reply #1267 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:22:01 »

Who finished top of the group? Wow, I'm even feeling petty myself here  Too Cool
fuck off you welsh twat
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #1268 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:22:10 »

I think Freddy is just jumping on the "England bash" bandwagon. The bitterness is not unexpected, it's a minor irritant from the usual suspects. I suppose it's easier to make a dig when you have nothing to get excited about with your own national side. Normal.
It's purely basking in the delight of your misfortune, I won't pretend it's anything else & I make no excuses for it. The English press haven't stopped wanking over this since you got out of the group. The same press who hated giving us any credit when we got to the semis (see the Daily Mail's headline after we beat Belgium in the quarters). I'm thoroughly enjoying your defeat & so is the majority of my country. It's a rivalry. You need to get over it otherwise football probably isn't the sport for you.

StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #1269 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:22:28 »

You lost when it mattered most to you - against England.  
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #1270 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:23:50 »

fuck off you welsh twat
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1271 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:23:56 »

It's not a rivalry, I couldn't give a shit about Wales. An irritant yes
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #1272 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:24:57 »

For somebody who doesn't give a shit you've spent a fair chunk of tonight chatting about it!!

FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #1273 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:26:25 »

You lost when it mattered most to you - against England.  
I'm pretty sure that the semi final hurt more (I was there) but if you want to think that.......

Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #1274 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:27:06 »

Yeah, exactly. If Wales play someone else I just shrug - not my country, whatever. I don't go out of my way to support the other team, and I live here!

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 ... 94   Go Up
Print
Jump to: