Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 ... 94   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The world Cup Russia 2018 Thread  (Read 200722 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #1095 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 10:03:51 »

Also and Lidl closing at 3 on Sunday if England get through so their workers can watch the game. Great publicity for the Germans.
Panda Paws

« Reply #1096 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 10:21:02 »

Sterling was excellent against Sweden. We'd be mad to drop him, particularly against a team that plays with no real holding midfielder and a big gap in front of their back four.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1097 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 10:27:51 »

Sterling was excellent against Sweden. We'd be mad to drop him, particularly against a team that plays with no real holding midfielder and a big gap in front of their back four.
I agree, his first 2 games Sterling was fairly poor, not playing to his strengths which is running with the ball at them with pace.

Every time he had the ball vs the Swedes they looked scared of him and he made a lot of decent chances.

Dele Alli for me has been the only player that has not really played well all tournament, despite his goal, I thought Delph or Loftus-Cheek are much better options.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1098 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 10:50:18 »

Should be noted that Croatia have played extra time and pens in their last 2 games so we should be in slightly better shape.

It's good to talk about the lineups and where we could improve but I wouldn't change a thing at this stage. RL-C and Rashford can be super subs if Dele and Sterling fail to impress. For me, Sterling has played really well in the last two games and adds more to the team performance than a young, raw Rashford.

PS, who said Rashford was a finisher? He's got about a 1 in 4 strike rate for ManU. Sterling was around 1 in 5 for Liverpool and 1 in 3 for Man City. Pretty similar at club level, I'd say.

How fucking good has this tournament been by the way?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 10:59:44 »

Jayo makes a great point, this World Cup has been immense, especially given some of the pre-match press nonsense about fans being attacked etc.

What has been very refreshing to hear is how friendly and welcoming and enjoyable its been for all the visitors to Russia.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1100 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 11:09:44 »

For me, the the biggest improvement has been the penalising of the ridiculous holding at set pieces.... after a dodgy start, and with the advantage of VAR, refs have been prepared to give pens.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1101 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 11:42:09 »

I am hearing talk of a open top bus parade even if England lose tomorrow.

This would be unacceptable ....

Bus parades are for winners and not losers ...... You shouldn't reward failure.

This! Its not fucking sports day where "its the taking part that counts" and "everyone a winner"
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1102 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 11:44:11 »

Im as big a football fan as the next person and i really hope people win but people expecting a day of on Monday? Get a grip.
If you're lucky enough to work for an employer who is willing to do it, then lucky you, but to expect it......?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 11:53:43 »

My boss just offered me Thursday off if I want to have a few tomorrow  Cheesy.

I declined, I’m already off Friday and Monday as I’m in Newcastle for a stag do this weekend, I thought I’d better.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1104 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 12:05:56 »

Im as big a football fan as the next person and i really hope people win but people expecting a day of on Monday? Get a grip.
If you're lucky enough to work for an employer who is willing to do it, then lucky you, but to expect it......?
I'm a contractor, I'll be fucking furious if they declare a national day off on Monday.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 12:23:28 »

More excellent work from Mr Squires:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/jul/10/david-squires-on-england-croatia-and-the-world-cup-semi-finals
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 13:32:04 »

Sterling, while being consistently under the microscope has got, in my opinion, progressively better as the tournament has gone on. It's a very small upward curve but an upward curve nonetheless.

He's gone from less confident, hardly anything falling for him to chasing balls down and then running just a stride too far or not striking early enough, to now balls landing on his feet, chasing pretty much everything down, striking nearly everything at the right time, but a tiny bit of indecision (his head telling him he's offside, when a strikers instinct will put it in the net anyway, then face the consequences).

It's slowly clicking for him and he's lucky because as England have stayed in the tournament, naturally he's getting chance after chance. That last piece of jigsaw could fall in place just in time for the match v Croatia. I'm willing him to score because I believe if he does then he'll believe in himself and could quite easily score a hat trick.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 13:42:33 »

Can't see it.I think Sterling has been exactly the same in every game but if GS sees fit to pick him that's fine with me!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1108 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 13:55:28 »

Pro: Sterling opens up the game for others.
Con: Barn door..cow's arse-banjo. Blinkered vision.

No way would I drop him. The replacements all have their own fault's anyway. And one game he'll hit the target and make that pass.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 14:22:52 »

Just hope we don't rue another missed chance

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 ... 94   Go Up
Print
Jump to: