Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 ... 94   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The world Cup Russia 2018 Thread  (Read 201714 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1080 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 08:22:21 »

It could happen for us. I don't go into the match fearing we'll get turned over (famous last words), I'm giving us a 50/50 chance again. That's how close we are...

Belgium will get to the final.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1081 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 08:34:57 »

I think its all up in the air, just two games and we could have two great performances and the opposition could have off days, its basically a lottery now.

Got a few quid on Belgium from the start so in a Belgium England final cannot lose really.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1082 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 08:37:49 »

There is little to choose between any of the semi finalists TBH, one good individual performance or one terrible one could be the difference.

It really could go either way with these games, I just hope we perform as we did at the weekend when we play tomorrow, if we are beaten by a great strike or piece of individual skill it will be easier to take than if one player royally fucks up and costs us the game.

As for France v Belgium, I am not a big fan of the French but love the Belgies, football and people wise, so its Belgium for me.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1083 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 08:47:57 »

I think it'll be Croatia v Belgium final, but I want England v France  Smiley
I think they've done exceptionally well come what may.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #1084 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 08:51:22 »

Croatia 0-2 England. Maybe aet.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1085 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 08:52:32 »

Whatever happens on Wednesday, this England side is different. The manager appears to be loved by everyone, the squad of players appears to be completely united, very little sign of egos. The system we are adapting seems to be very efficient.

Given the success of the under 17s, 19s and 21s recently I think the future is pretty bright for England. Given not many people really expected England to go very far in this tournament the world cup has exceeded expectations for us and hopefully we can move forward and progress in the upcoming tournaments - without getting too carried away of course!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1086 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 09:04:19 »

one player royally fucks up and costs us the game.

I am a little worried about Harry Mcguire, purely because the parallels with Southgate at Euro 96 are noticeable, centre half has unexpectedly good tournament and then fucks it up at the end....
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 09:10:39 by horlock07 » Logged
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1087 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 09:05:35 »

I would say Kyle Walker is more prone

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1088 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 09:11:57 »

I am a little worried about Harry Mcguire, purely because the Southgate at Euro 96 are noticeable, centre half has unexpectedly good tournament and then fucks it up at the end....

over-confidence?

As Sippo has said I think Kyle Walker has a serious rick in him unfortunately. One of those ones where he dummies the ball to let the ball run without realising there is a Croatian lurking dangerously behind him.

I also previously thought that Sterling should be dropped due to his inept finishing/final ball, but without him in the side, where is the pace? Its probably true that he was very important in the Sweden game as he scared them with his pace. I really really want him to click against Croatia and get that all important goal, as he does work his bollocks off.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1089 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 09:14:45 »

Whatever happens on Wednesday, this England side is different. The manager appears to be loved by everyone, the squad of players appears to be completely united, very little sign of egos. The system we are adapting seems to be very efficient.

Given the success of the under 17s, 19s and 21s recently I think the future is pretty bright for England. Given not many people really expected England to go very far in this tournament the world cup has exceeded expectations for us and hopefully we can move forward and progress in the upcoming tournaments - without getting too carried away of course!

All good points.... it's interesting that the semis and final of the next Euro are at Wembley, it's the spread it around concept.

Further Wembley picked up 4 group games after Bekgium failed to deliver on stadium promises.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #1090 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 09:34:21 »

the swindon fan within me is holding me back getting truely excited and confident. Its hard because getting to this stage is actually a success for this young team but ultimately it is winning that counts and it comes to back to my fine margins post previously. no one remembers a loser unless you are that loser you will always remember.

my first major football final memory age 9 was euro 96 semi final loss. Since then world cup 2002/04 quarter final losses, brighton semi final loss, chesterfield final loss, millwall final loss, brentford semi final loss, preston final loss.

Iv seen my teams as favourites and underdogs and it just makes no difference in a final. When you get this far its time to get the job done.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1091 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 09:44:26 »

over-confidence?

As Sippo has said I think Kyle Walker has a serious rick in him unfortunately. One of those ones where he dummies the ball to let the ball run without realising there is a Croatian lurking dangerously behind him.

I also previously thought that Sterling should be dropped due to his inept finishing/final ball, but without him in the side, where is the pace? Its probably true that he was very important in the Sweden game as he scared them with his pace. I really really want him to click against Croatia and get that all important goal, as he does work his bollocks off.

I don't think I put it very well, my concerns regarding McGuire are less to do with him fucking up than something going wrong that leaves the blame for our departure at his door, I note the issues with Walker but he has not been bigged up as some sort of break out player by the media like McGuire has been in this tournament and thats where the parallels to Southgate are clear as he had a great tournament in 96, and then it all went tits up when he was outside his comfort zone in a shoot out - Harry just don't take a penalty...

I would be inclined to leave Sterling in now, not changing a winning team and all that, however much of the discussion regarding the impacts of dropping him seem to assume that we will not be replacing him with anyone? Rashford has pace and the pain in the arseability and unlike Sterling also has the ability to finish, if I had a criticism of Southagte it is possibly making changes too late so if Alli is lethargic again (still not convinced he is fit!) get the changes made around the hour, not with 5-10 left.

I am English so thus not optimistic, but its still in our hands...

Plus if we lose fuck knows whats going to happen, after all the bollocks after our wins will those who cannot take their booze be able to take it...

fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #1092 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 09:51:56 »

I am hearing talk of a open top bus parade even if England lose tomorrow.

This would be unacceptable ....

Bus parades are for winners and not losers ...... You shouldn't reward failure.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1093 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 09:58:24 »

I am hearing talk of a open top bus parade even if England lose tomorrow.

This would be unacceptable ....

Bus parades are for winners and not losers ...... You shouldn't reward failure.
When England lost in 1990 there was an open top bus parade, nobody seemed to be against it then.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 10:10:53 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1094 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 09:59:56 »

We won in 1990  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 ... 94   Go Up
Print
Jump to: