Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 94   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The world Cup Russia 2018 Thread  (Read 200782 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 06:38:40 »

Something has to give, Columbia have never beaten us.
Also, why do they have such big support over there?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 06:39:35 »

The cartels ran a special bus Smiley
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 08:23:38 »

The reaction to last night's game has really taken me by surprise.  We put the B team out, and lost a game 1-0.  I missed the last half hour of the game, and turned the radio on at the end to hear several minutes of anguished commentary...and was convinced that we must have lost by 3-0 or worse.

It was a calculation.  Most of the best players were not even on the pitch.  We have a winnable tie vs Columbia and then, if we get as that, a better draw than Belgium now have.  That was all the talk 24 hrs ago - but now seems to have been forgotten.  All very odd.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 09:00:37 »

No football today and a chance for everyone to get the wall charts up to date.

16 teams are on the way home, so the pressure on global hair gel supplies may ease only slightly with Giroud still being in.

Have enjoyed it overall so far. VAR has added a bit of drama.
Hopefully teams won’t put safety first in the knockout stages.

So, which teams are going to make it through to the QF’s?

I reckon Uruguay v Argentina, with Uruguay maybe going all the way to the final.
Very strong in defence, top class attack and look as if they can grind out a result over 120 mins, which they might need to do against Portugal.
France have seemed a bit turgid and a yerba mate fuelled Argentina might have a bit too much for them.

Then Spain v Croatia.
Difficult to call. Spain unconvincing so far and Croatia have looked good and could just edge it.
Russia have maybe exceeded expectations but look to be decent hosts after initial concerns.
They’ll give Spain a good game but class should tell.
Modrić & Rakitić to overcome Eriksen, possibly after extra time.

Mexico v Belgium.
Mexico can upset Brazil if they play with energy and tempo.
Finding it difficult to take Brazil seriously with a Miranda in defence.
This could be Belgium’s year and they look to have the strength in depth.
Japan will exit with heads held high and at least their fans have helped to clean up the stadiums after their games.

Finally, Switzerland v England.
The Swiss to just edge out Sweden in another one that could go to extra time and beyond.
England, maybe sentiment over common sense, but anyone could make it out of this section and it could be down to fine margins on the day. Having one less game in their legs could turn out to be the difference.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 10:02:55 »

Belgium had only beaten us once in 20 attempts, in the1930's.

Iceland had never beaten us.

Every country seems to have a massive support apart from England... it's all a bit surreal
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 10:07:43 »

The reaction to last night's game has really taken me by surprise.  We put the B team out, and lost a game 1-0.  I missed the last half hour of the game, and turned the radio on at the end to hear several minutes of anguished commentary...and was convinced that we must have lost by 3-0 or worse.

It was a calculation.  Most of the best players were not even on the pitch.  We have a winnable tie vs Columbia and then, if we get as that, a better draw than Belgium now have.  That was all the talk 24 hrs ago - but now seems to have been forgotten.  All very odd.
Agree completely - it turns out that our B team isn't quite as good as Belgium's B team. Woot. Apart from the bit about being surprised, that is, why are you so surprised at the massive overreaction? As a nation, we seem to have been entirely in thrall to the kind of mood swings a recovering alcoholic would be proud of for the past two decades.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 10:11:28 »

Agree completely - it turns out that our B team isn't quite as good as Belgium's B team. Woot. Apart from the bit about being surprised, that is, why are you so surprised at the massive overreaction? As a nation, we seem to have been entirely in thrall to the kind of mood swings a recovering alcoholic would be proud of for the past two decades.

Indeed, and it's not just England, the same thing infects our (STFC) fans too.

Except those that have a single agenda which seems to be to take a swipe at the team/club/chairman at every opportunity. The difference if we win or are doing well they get shouted down by people that are fed up with them.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 10:21:25 »

Roll Eyes

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/16322871.tv-damaged-and-bottles-thrown-in-post-england-match-trouble-at-the-woodlands-edge/
Flashheart

« Reply #593 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 10:35:38 »

I've seen some say things along the lines of we should just pack up and go home now on yesterday's showing.

I think they've missed something.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 10:37:06 »

Indeed, and it's not just England, the same thing infects our (STFC) fans too.
It's not even just football, it seems the entire nation is massively menopausal ever since Diana died.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 11:57:45 »

Speaking of ITV and the fact they should never be allowed to broadcast any football at all ever, did anyone else completely lose pictures and sound for about 2-3 mins around the hour mark? We still had BBC, Ch 4/5 etc but ITV was just completely blank, not even snow, just a black screen.
Did anyone else notice the amount of times during the second half how many times they panned in on the Belgian supporters in the crowd ?,  it appears they were quite happy not showing the English contingent, there were odd occasions when they preferred to show them (the belgians) rather than the game.   I don't know anyone in Belgium and I certainly am not interested in watching them wallowing in the result.   Show England fans yes, but if all ITV want to do is glorify our defeat then they can fuck off.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 12:02:27 »

It's not even just football, it seems the entire nation is massively menopausal ever since Diana died.

I'm calling sexism here....use of the menopause as a perjorative.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 12:04:14 »

I'm calling sexism here....use of the menopause as a perjorative.
Never heard of the male menopause then?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 12:11:42 »

Never heard of the male menopause then?

Debatable if it actually exists, for most men they'll happily produce sperm into their 80's, for which I am grateful.

No such argument with women.... yes they can go a bit potty, but it's perfectly natural.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: Friday, June 29, 2018, 12:32:18 »

Did anyone else notice the amount of times during the second half how many times they panned in on the Belgian supporters in the crowd ?,  it appears they were quite happy not showing the English contingent, there were odd occasions when they preferred to show them (the belgians) rather than the game.   I don't know anyone in Belgium and I certainly am not interested in watching them wallowing in the result.   Show England fans yes, but if all ITV want to do is glorify our defeat then they can fuck off.

You do realise all footage comes from a central source, right? BBC would have had exactly the same pictures.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 94   Go Up
Print
Jump to: