Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Concrete  (Read 1650 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Sunday, June 3, 2018, 08:45:46 »

I’ve just ‘laid’ a concrete floor to a new porch but the first load wasn’t quite enough to cover the area. Where I’ve added a second bit the join isn’t quite level. How do you go about sanding down concrete - preferably without having to hire some machine?
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 3, 2018, 08:48:12 by Audrey's Bellend » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 3, 2018, 08:59:03 »

Are you saying that the floor is too high where the join is? When laying concrete floors you'd normally use a long level object to pat and smooth it to get a level finish, did you do that?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 3, 2018, 09:03:42 »

It’s only a thin screed really. The first lot dried and set before I laid the second lot. There is a ridge between the 2.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 3, 2018, 09:25:06 »

It’s only a thin screed really. The first lot dried and set before I laid the second lot. There is a ridge between the 2.

There are a few remedies. I’ll assume that this ridge is not to pronounced we’re talking only millimetres? Also what are the dimensions of this porch?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 3, 2018, 09:58:22 »

You can get a silicone carbide disc to "sand" it down. They sell ones you can put in a drill if you don't have the other tools, grinder, disc sander etc

Wear a mask, it will be dusty!
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 3, 2018, 10:11:30 »

You can get a silicone carbide disc to "sand" it down. They sell ones you can put in a drill if you don't have the other tools, grinder, disc sander etc

Wear a mask, it will be dusty!

FGS, nnnnnooooooooo!

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 3, 2018, 10:12:16 »

Thanks for that. The silicone pad sounds like it will do the job. The porch isn’t big - 2m x 11/2m and the ridge isn’t that pronounced but I’m laying tiles so need the floor as flat as poss.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 3, 2018, 11:53:38 »

Thanks for that. The silicone pad sounds like it will do the job. The porch isn’t big - 2m x 11/2m and the ridge isn’t that pronounced but I’m laying tiles so need the floor as flat as poss.
In that case a floor levelling compound is your answer. It does exactly as is says. You can buy ready mixed or powdered. Like water it finds its own level and dries rockard... you may need a cold chisel to bring the ridge down a bit first if needs be but the compound will just fill in any depressions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: