Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wine  (Read 4922 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 00:11:15 »

Very good RD! I'd recommend a nice Pinot Noir from my friends home region of the Wairarapa. Chiefly a Martinborough Pinot Noir. Is a little pricier but even I like it and I prefer reds!

Talking of Portuguese reds, in 2016 I found a litre in a small shop, in Madeira simply called 'Vinho Tinto'. It cost €1. Back here it would've cost around £10 for 75cl. It tasted much above your average table wine but after the 5th glass, it was time to think about getting another gallon.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 04:48:23 »

Now, no way am I any sort of expert but I bought a bottle of white Rioja from Waitrose for £5.75 and it’s fantastic. I am more Harry Gulpers than Harry Sippers when it comes to wine so it didn’t last long.

Long gone are the days when you could buy a really rank bottle of wine - it’s all decent nowadays.

I tend to buy whites cos the missus doesn’t like red, so can anyone recommend a good red I can glug for myself?

Will try the white Rioja as this would be a first for me.  I  love the reds which offer a great price:quality combination, imo.

For pure glug-ability, and especially as a summer red, I love the tannin-lite Beaujolais.  I'd tend to recommend the Beaujolais Villages, one notch up from the basic Beaujolais. You should be able to get one at Waitrose for about GBP 8.00
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 06:50:52 »

My red of choice for a while has been Malbec. Preferably south American.

Failing that, Italian reds like Montepulciano or Chianti.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 08:14:00 »

Not really a massive fan of wine unless its cooking with it. Happily put a whole bottle of red in a beef stew and let it cook away for hours and hours.

I can drink a bit of white but it needs to be on a sweet side, not desert wine sweet but i hate the bitterness of wine in general.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 08:30:44 »

Not really a massive fan of wine unless its cooking with it. Happily put a whole bottle of red in a beef stew and let it cook away for hours and hours.

I can drink a bit of white but it needs to be on a sweet side, not desert wine sweet but i hate the bitterness of wine in general.

Cooking with wine is good, as is drinking wine when eating.  I've got a bit of a collection of bottles which I've won in quizzes, so they tend to be on the cooking side of things.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 12:22:56 »

Looks like a few purple nosed master sommeliers on here then.  Smiley

So how many bottles are put away per week on average?

I normally manage the best part of two to accompany meals.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 12:30:03 »

Is that 2 bottles per meal?
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 12:36:34 »

Is that 2 bottles per meal?

Ha ha. 2 per week.

The other 5 or 6 are normally brown bagged on various benches in town.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: