Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Based On What We Know  (Read 16533 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 16:23:54 »

I do think Brown is an upgrade on Flitcroft. I'm not going to try and base any predictions on that, though. There's far too many variables.

It could be argued that with minutes to go the the start of our first game and on paper a cracking line up, there are still many variables going from that particular point in time.
Flashheart

« Reply #16 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 16:28:20 »

It could be argued that with minutes to go the the start of our first game and on paper a cracking line up, there are still many variables going from that particular point in time.

Definitely
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 16:54:41 »

I will go with play offs - we should have reached them this season to be honest.  I'm not really much of a Brown fan, but I think he is better than what I saw from Flitcroft, so on balance I think that a pre season and some recruits should be enough to give us an improvement.

I am back in July, but it is entirely likely that England could have already exited the world Cup by my arrival date, so I can truly just have a a holiday.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 17:57:51 »

In other words based on what you don't know.

What we do know is that since Power has been involved either as owner, or as part of Jed's merry men, we have yet to achieve a promotion.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 18:01:30 »

In other words based on what you don't know.

What we do know is that since Power has been involved either as owner, or as part of Jed's merry men, we have yet to achieve a promotion.
A staggering observation. You missed out winning a convincing relegation.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 21:14:56 »

I'm not optimistic now and won't be in August because I never am. Still, it's more fun to speculate about the new season than endure Russia-mania...

After the unconvincing season we've just witnessed, I don't know whether it would be best to keep the majority of last season's staple in the hope that they'll be better equipped to face a second season under a new manager with a full pre-season, or whether we need an overhaul and thin out those positions where we're overloaded (too many cooks up front at the mo'), and start again in other positions - the latter might be too pricey for Power.

The long-term injuries are problematic and risky. Fully fit Preston, Conroy and Lancashire should be good enough for Div 4. How long will Brown wait to find out?

Some positives from Brown's time in charge: Dunne, Moore and McGivern improved, so hopefully they can improve some more.

I'd feel more optimistic if Brown can sort out the spine: centre back pairing, central midfield pairing, striker pairing.

Richards     Norris/Mullin

Taylor     Linganzi     Dunne     Anderson

McGivern   Preston     Conroy    Knoyle

Vigs

Subs:  Moore, Woolery, Lancashire, Iandolo, Twine, Romanski
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 21:45:26 »

Talking of training  grounds, any news ?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 21:56:45 »

I'm not optimistic now and won't be in August because I never am. Still, it's more fun to speculate about the new season than endure Russia-mania...

After the unconvincing season we've just witnessed, I don't know whether it would be best to keep the majority of last season's staple in the hope that they'll be better equipped to face a second season under a new manager with a full pre-season, or whether we need an overhaul and thin out those positions where we're overloaded (too many cooks up front at the mo'), and start again in other positions - the latter might be too pricey for Power.

The long-term injuries are problematic and risky. Fully fit Preston, Conroy and Lancashire should be good enough for Div 4. How long will Brown wait to find out?

Some positives from Brown's time in charge: Dunne, Moore and McGivern improved, so hopefully they can improve some more.

I'd feel more optimistic if Brown can sort out the spine: centre back pairing, central midfield pairing, striker pairing.

Richards     Norris/Mullin

Taylor     Linganzi     Dunne     Anderson

McGivern   Preston     Conroy    Knoyle

Vigs

Subs:  Moore, Woolery, Lancashire, Iandolo, Twine, Romanski

Thing is to get out of a league you have to have players that should be in a higher one. Could be bought, could be coming through the ranks. But that team bar one maybe 2 has div 4 plodders written all over it. That side would finish 10th-15th. Thin them out is the answer and hopefully find some gold in amongst the gravel doing the rounds this summer.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 22:24:07 »

Thing is to get out of a league you have to have players that should be in a higher one. Could be bought, could be coming through the ranks. But that team bar one maybe 2 has div 4 plodders written all over it. That side would finish 10th-15th. Thin them out is the answer and hopefully find some gold in amongst the gravel doing the rounds this summer.
Having a couple of gems/gold would be great, but I'm not sure how you actually bring in players who should be playing at a higher level, other than by splashing the cash or getting a huge dose of luck. Gold coming through the ranks obviously means persisting with what we've already got, which is contrary to thinning out the current squad. Looks like we'll need Brown to polish some of our plodders.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 22:44:23 »

A polished turd, is still a turd. I understand where you are coming from, and maybe we are slopping along the sides of the bottom of the bucket. Feels like 1984 all over again to me. Not much hope, until the catalyst appears from the fog. (hopefully)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 03:28:06 »

Got to bear in mind that the other 23 teams also have their fair share of turds. Boils down to how well organised and polished our turds are by Brown compared to the other teams’ turds.

A couple of stand out players recruited, perm or loan, could sway things in our favour. In all honesty, I can’t see us being anywhere near as gash, especially at home, as we were last season.
Sir red ken

« Reply #26 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 07:53:23 »

Got to bear in mind that the other 23 teams also have their fair share of turds. Boils down to how well organised and polished our turds are by Brown compared to the other teams’ turds.

A couple of stand out players recruited, perm or loan, could sway things in our favour. In all honesty, I can’t see us being anywhere near as gash, especially at home, as we were last season.
That's what I thought at the start of last season.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 09:05:01 »

Exactly. Thing is, Brown has a unique insight to what he has/had player wise at the final whistle of game 45 last season. He has acted accordingly with the retained and released list, offered contracts and subsequently future targets. Also he has a two month head start on what Flipflop had and if I may be so bold, more experience and probably better contacts. For the aforementioned reasons i’m optimistic enough to feel that PB will not only put together a promotion winning team but a team capable of winning the league, so much so that I shall put some money on it. My only negative is and this would apply to any manager at our level especially, is how good will he and his backroom staff be at polishing the current stones we have to sparkle a damn sight better than they did last season. Furthermore the prospecting of other gemstones from other sources before any other club does. Budget wise I wonder how much impact that actually has? Accrington being a case in point for L2 last season and Burton Albion a few seasons ago and even Bournemouth. Coming back full circle it comes down to Brown and his back room team and their gem polishing abilities, we need some Lou Macari magic.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 09:17:24 »

Maybe, maybe not (personally think its better than that). But what you're not taking into account is the ability of a good manager and players with the right attitude to make the 'total more than the sum of the parts'. Looking at the individual players from the 85/86 102 point side, you would probably have said the same thing. I mean - Leigh Barnard? Charlie Henry?? David Cole??? After 8 games of that season 10th would have been looking wildly optimistic.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 09:17:26 »

I really don't think we could have expected to land a better option than Brown.As always the outcome depends on the quality of any new signings,the majority of last season's lot just won't cut the cake

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: