Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The England Squad for the World Cup  (Read 14434 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:24:14 »

At least 3 of those defenders can play equally well in midfield, I suspect that's why he has picked them?

Yeah here is plenty of versatility (I don't class Dier as a pure midfielder, he's like an old fashioned utility player). Still, Danny Rose is my biggest gripe in that selection. He's been poor on fitness and only came back in November I think. Davies took hus his chance and cemented that position. I'm not saying Rose is crap, he's just not who I'd have picked. Especially as the common mistake in tournament selection is picking "two players in every position". It's not needed in defence so much.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:29:39 »

Fair enough. Plenty of others saying the same thing as a criticism of the selection, as though Scholes, Shearer and Geoff Hurst should have been selected.

A lot of people are saying Shelvey should have gone, can't say I've watched him this season tbh. As for calls for Lallana, I like him as a player but he's only played 13 games all year. Even Delph has played double that.

I shall be watching, nice to have some games at sensible times. Maybe I'll learn a bit about the current England crop.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:36:43 »

Agree with this in the main. I'm kind of glad Joe Gomez got injured as he likely would've been included. It's a little too soon (maybe the Euros?) and there is enough nod to the future selections with Loftus-Cheek and Alexander-Arnold. L-C could well be our wildcard this tournament.

Our basic problem is that there is no-one who can control a game, this isn't exactly new at international level, but has become gradually worse.  Too many foreigners in the Prem is part of it.... the lads picked are good bits and pieces players, who get made to look better by superior foreign talent around them.  Stick them all together and they're lost. The Iceland game summed it up... mental disintegratioin, players not taking responsibilty or thinking on their feet.

Take Jordan Henderson, a useful type, a good pro and hard worker, enables the talents of a Coutinho, Salah, Firmino or Mane, to flourish.  We just don't have those sort of players to complement his work, so at international level looks out of his depth.

Harry Kane is probably the only England player who'd get close to a game for the likes of Germany, France, Spain etc... it would be interesting to know how many goals he scores from assists by Erikson or Son.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:42:42 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:10:29 »

Our basic problem is that there is no-one who can control a game, this isn't exactly new at international level, but has become gradually worse.  

Harry Kane is probably the only England player who'd get close to a game for the likes of Germany, France, Spain etc... it would be interesting to know how many goals he scores from assists by Erikson or Son.

Inclined to agree again, however I think Henderson can enable the likes of Sterling, Lingard and Alli. All of who are quick footed creative players and those three have had pretty good seasons. I think if we are to be more successful it will come from a step up in maturity from Stones, Henderson and Dier (he really needs to). If that core/spine can execute control then it will allow the  more erratic and creative players to flourish. Big shoulders on those three.

Interestingly, I know Son and Erikson have given several assists to Kane but Alli has also played provider too. I just found this on "Spurs Community" so it may not be 100%. I believe it's correct though. Order is Goals followed by Assists;

Harry Kane - 30 - 2
Christian Eriksen - 10 - 10
Dele Alli - 9 - 10
Heung-Min Son - 12 - 6
Ben Davies - 2 - 6
Kieran Trippier - 0 - 5
Serge Aurier - 2 - 2
Erik Lamela - 2 - 2
Moussa Sissoko - 1 - 1
Eric Dier - 0 - 2
Kyle Walker-Peters - 0 - 2
Victor Wanyama - 1 - 0
Fernando Llorente - 1 - 0
Harry Winks - 0 - 1
Danny Rose - 0 - 1
Lucas Moura - 0 - 1

Interesting that of the five Spurs players listed that have made the WC Squad. Kane only had 2 assists but obviously scored a bunch. Alli had 10 assists which matches Erikson and is four better than Son. Trippier makes a good claim with 5 assists. Dier disappoints with only 2 assists. Danny Rose as stated, I don't think he should've made the WC Squad anyway.

We can't define who gave who the assists but there is a high chance that of Alli and Eriksen's 10, and Son's 6, most of those would've had Kane on the end of them. Without digging further we could say that Alli assisted in around 30% of Kane's goals? Matching Eriksen and certainly better than Son. Trippier (for England purposes) stands out for me with his 5 assists. Maybe Southgate could be tempted to start him over Walker? It's a solid amount for a RB.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:41:15 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:22:10 »

Certainly the Kane/Dele link looks England's best bet, but it has done for a while now at international level without ever quite working.

Walker and Walker-Peters aren't the same.

As regards Sterling, he's the very definition of someone who is made to look better by those around him.  Personally don't rate him, if he has it in him now is the chance to stand up and affect the games.  Hasn't scored for about 2 and a half years and only 2 goals for England in total from 30 odd games, so don't hold out too much hope.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:25:22 »

Happy with the squad. Henderson will play midfield, and should do so with Alli against Tunisia and Panama. Dier in for more stability against Belgium.

Lingard and Sterling off Kane would work well.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:27:18 »

No tom smith?
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:38:22 »

Walker and Walker-Peters aren't the same.

As regards Sterling, if he has it in him now is the chance to stand up and affect the games.  Hasn't scored for about 2 and a half years and only 2 goals for England in total from 30 odd games, so don't hold out too much hope.

Apologies RE: Walker-Peters, got lost in the data! Kyle WALKER has had about 7 assists for Man City this season.

I know how you feel about Sterling, I used to deplore the guy but he has seemingly matured and we are talking about the same player here? He has had a great season. Scoring around 22 goals and 12 assists, as a Right and Left Forward. Okay we could say better players helped him to score, that's agreeable. However assists is his own doing in the main. His discipline has improved too, only one sending off this season and a few yellows. Pass success of around 83%. 7 MotM awards with 3 in the Champions League (yes MotM awards are open for debate but he must've played pretty well to be noted). A lot of that suggests that the player has matured and improved personally.

Have to remember he was only 19 at the last World Cup. He is 23/24 isn't he? So maybe a little early. I do agree though that if he wants to be noticed on the World stage then this would be the time to do it.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:47:33 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 16:15:12 »

Kyle WALKER has had about 7 assists for Man City this season.

Given that Man City have scored 100+ goals this season, that's probably not that great.  Walker does get up and down, which is the pre-requisite of a WB or attacking fullback, but his crossing isn't that great.  May explain why GS has tried him out at CH, in a 3. He may feel Trippier offers more as a WB.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 16:19:23 »

Quote from: BBC FOOTBALL
No Spurs player assisted Harry Kane more times in the Premier League in 2017-18 than Kieran Trippier (five).

Jordan Henderson has provided four assists in 10 England appearances under Gareth Southgate, this after registering two assists in his previous 28 games for the Three Lions.

In 2017-18, Raheem Sterling became the first Englishman to reach double figures for both goals and assists in a single Premier League season for Man City (18 goals, 11 assists).
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 16:22:34 by Kinky Tom » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 16:29:07 »

Interesting about Trippier, backs up what I was saying. 

No doubt Sterling has been a cog in the Man City side, but the question is can he affect the game when surrounded by lesser talents?

He hasn't scored for England in 2 and half years.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 16:32:58 »

I agree with you, just a few stats that stood out, now is the time for him to demonstrate that it is largely down to him and not those more regularly around him.  I hope he can do it as he is obviously the kind of player you need to unlock defences at the highest level.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 16:42:09 »

I agree with you, just a few stats that stood out, now is the time for him to demonstrate that it is largely down to him and not those more regularly around him.  I hope he can do it as he is obviously the kind of player you need to unlock defences at the highest level.

I hope he does it too. You can go out of a WC with your head held high, maybe score a few goals, or go down with a fight.

Sadly the last few tournaments we've gone out tail between legs, embarrassingly poor. Avoiding that would do.
Panda Paws

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 16:43:26 »

No issues with the squad and think it's a good young collection of players. Only change I'd make is Wilshere for Delph, Cahill is a bit of a surprise but won't play. Tarkowski hasn't done enough and Lallana hasn't been fit at all this season.

Pickford
        Walker Stones Maguire
Trippier                          Young
          Henderson(c)   Dier
                    Lingard
            Kane      Sterling

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 17:34:48 »

If playing Kyle Walker at Centre Back is the answer, then the question must be "what do we need to do to have a team comparable to those managed by Graham Taylor?"

I'm with Reg, it's a team of bit parts bar Kane.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: