Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The England Squad for the World Cup  (Read 14438 times)
Private Fraser

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 13:10:41 »

14:04
BREAKINGEngland announce 23-man World Cup squad
Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 13:19:37 »

The only changes I would have made are Lallana for Loftus-Cheek and Tarkowski for Alexander-Arnold otherwise not surprised.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 13:30:41 »

I don't know half of that squad.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 13:35:39 »

I don't know half of that squad.
A lot of people say things like this, but could you replace every player you don't know with a better available player you've heard of?

Looking at the list of players who missed out, there's nobody else I'd want at the tournament.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 13:44:52 »

The only changes I would have made are Lallana for Loftus-Cheek and Tarkowski for Alexander-Arnold otherwise not surprised.
Loftus-Cheek has been superb for Palace. I’d have Tarkowski in for Cahill and maybe Lallana for Welbeck. Other than that I agree with it.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 13:47:36 »

A lot of people say things like this, but could you replace every player you don't know with a better available player you've heard of?

Looking at the list of players who missed out, there's nobody else I'd want at the tournament.

You misunderstand, I genuinely haven't heard of half that squad. I have lost touch with football.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 13:48:39 »

Loftus-Cheek has been superb for Palace. I’d have Tarkowski in for Cahill and maybe Lallana for Welbeck. Other than that I agree with it.
Yeah that could work too, Cahill has not had a great season but I would definately take Tarkowski and Lallana though.

I don't get the uproar about leaving out Wilshere, massively over rated IMO.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 13:54:55 »

Not much you can do with the England squad. I'd make one change and that would be to bring sessegnon in as a wild wild card. Out of 23 you should be able to have one  along for the experience if nothing else. Glad to see Hart and Wilshire out. Hart has been shit for a while and I've never known what the fuss was about wilshere, very ordinary
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:06:22 »

You misunderstand, I genuinely haven't heard of half that squad. I have lost touch with football.

Fair enough. Plenty of others saying the same thing as a criticism of the selection, as though Scholes, Shearer and Geoff Hurst should have been selected.

A lot of people are saying Shelvey should have gone, can't say I've watched him this season tbh. As for calls for Lallana, I like him as a player but he's only played 13 games all year. Even Delph has played double that.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:06:38 »

Not really that knowledgeable either.  Norris for Kane perhaps?  

Like Chalkie's idea of Sessignon as a wild card.  An experienced cb like Cahill is quite sensible imo.  Looks like many of us aren't too disappointed by Cahill's omission.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:08:22 by RedRag » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:08:30 »

Lallana has barely played this season, 15 appearances in all comps.  I think had he been performing he'd have gone.

There really isn't too much to pick from.... if we get out of the group stage, that will be something.

As for Wilshere, he can pick a pass, something beyond our other midfield players.  Which is why Southgate is opting for the wingback system, get them to get in the crosses, and just have a couple of holders in midfield keeping it simple,
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:10:01 »

Danny Rose shouldn't be there. Welshman, Ben Davies has played in his position most of the season at Spurs. He's picked too many defenders imo. Possibly switch out Rose for another midfielder?  That's me only picking at it really. The rest is mildly encouraging, not massively inspired that Welbeck is in there though either. I'm happy Lallana, Wilshire or Hart didn't make the squad.

A nod towards the future with A-A and L-C, also great to see him pick three in form and strong keepers. Pickford would be my starter. There's competition which should give the players a bit more hunger to obtain the shirt. A starting berth in a couple of positions is not guaranteed.

While it's not a squad bursting with star quality or world class, there are some great talents in there and not just full of stalwarts picking up another cap. However a great blend of youth and experience. The "best" or "names" on paper have continually let England down over the years, when they should've done better. There is less expectation on this squad and many would say 2nd Round then out. I think they could do quite well, against expectations.

My preferred starting XI in Russia would be;

Pickford (GK

Walker (RB), Stones (CB), Maguire (CB), Delph (LB)

Lingard (RAM), Dier (DCM), Henderson (CM), Alli (LAM)

Kane (FW), Sterling (FW)

Gives flexibility, to put Alli into a front three. Walker and Delph can overlap as RWB/LWB respectively. Dier versatile, can slip into CB cover when Stones (or Cahill) go up for corners but also can switch to CAM and play between Henderson and the attack, when countering. There seems to be adequate options on the bench too. That's it...we're going to not win the World Cup!  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:13:11 »

Not really that knowledgeable either.  Norris for Kane perhaps?  

Like Chalkie's idea of Sessignon as a wild card.  An experienced cb like Cahill is quite sensible imo.  Looks like many of us aren't too disappointed by Cahill's omission.

According to the OP Cahill is in.  Sessignon is best left out, no good comes from overhyping these kids, let him work with the age group sides.  Remember last summer we did really well at that level..... so it is just possible we might see some fruits from that over te next Euro/WC cycle.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:17:47 »

He's picked too many defenders imo. Possibly switch out Rose for another midfielder?  That's me only picking at it really.

At least 3 of those defenders can play equally well in midfield, I suspect that's why he has picked them?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:19:51 »

According to the OP Cahill is in.  Sessignon is best left out, no good comes from overhyping these kids, let him work with the age group sides.  Remember last summer we did really well at that level..... so it is just possible we might see some fruits from that over the next Euro/WC cycle.

Agree with this in the main. I'm kind of glad Joe Gomez got injured as he likely would've been included. It's a little too soon (maybe the Euros?) and there is enough nod to the future selections with Loftus-Cheek and Alexander-Arnold. L-C could well be our wildcard this tournament.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: