Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2018 - 2019 Season Pre Season Friendlies  (Read 81149 times)
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Saturday, July 21, 2018, 16:33:55 »

First pre-season match for me, generally very encouraging.

Agree about Adebayo offering more in the second half, there’s definitely a decent striker in there.

A very well deserved MOM for Anderson, loads of effort and energy, the guy must have run twice as far as anyone else.
His performance was a great example of a player being let off the leash, he was popping up all over the pitch, hunting the ball down and creating plays. Very impressive.

Early doors, but if we can keep up the energy and positive style of play then at the very least we should be in for some entertaining matches in the coming season.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Saturday, July 21, 2018, 16:34:26 »

Thought the second half was a bit disappointing myself. We got a bit sloppy, Pompey stepped up and were more comfortably the better team.

Didn't really see much improvement in Adebeyo in terms of goal threat, Anderson reverted to type and in all we didn't threaten too often. And watching Conroy, he's a bit rusty - understandably.

Did think the midfield looked useful though. Diagouraga is presumably miles behind on fitness and didn't really show much in his 10 - I'm sure in a few weeks he'll be a different prospect.

That said it was a good test against useful higher league opposition. Enjoyed the first half and came away slightly more optimistic than I went in!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Saturday, July 21, 2018, 17:03:35 »

Decent display, that.
McGlashan I like, gets stuck in
Anderson looks a different player
Smith reminds me of Ray McHale
Some of Vigs distribution was top notch
Knoyle continues to improve
Thought Robertson had a good game
At times Adebayo looks disinterested - although he stepped it up 2nd half
What the hell is Alzate doing in L2? Fuck me, he’ll be immense.

Negatives - we lost nearly every header and we don’t look to have a lot of goal threat.

Couple more players plus Richards and Woolery back and we can look forward to a decent campaign.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Saturday, July 21, 2018, 17:22:03 »

I have read that we have Southampton next Saturday in a BCD run out?
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Saturday, July 21, 2018, 19:17:39 »

Agree with what others have written about the game.

Overall fairly positive but we looked a bit toothless up front and struggled with set pieces at the back. I'll put the latter down to Watkins being a big, awkward bugger who looked bound to score.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #260 on: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 08:35:39 »

I'll put the latter down to Watkins being a big, awkward bugger who looked bound to score.
Do you mean Hawkins? he was a former target of ours under Flipflop but we were scared off with the £200k valuation that Pompey eventually paid.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #261 on: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 08:59:57 »

I see on Friday a full strength Crawley side lost 9-0 to Arsenal in a behind closed doors friendly, makes our 5 v Benfica sound a pretty good performance Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 09:13:05 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 09:08:27 »

I see on Friday a full strength Crawley side lost 9-0 to Arsenal in a behind closed doors friendly, makes our 6 v Benfica sound a pretty good performance Cheesy

5-0 is even better....
Peter Venkman

« Reply #263 on: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 09:13:16 »

5-0 is even better....
It is, slip of the finger Smiley

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 15:36:24 »

Do you mean Hawkins? he was a former target of ours under Flitcroft but we were scared off with the £200k valuation that Pompey eventually paid.
Yes, beg pardon, Hawkins. I didn't know that about him being a former target. On yesterday's showing, it is a shame we didn't get him as he looked a right handful in the air and seemed to fit in well in a pragmatic Kenny Jackett side.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 18:38:39 »

Not much to add on what has been said already other than we enjoyed the game. The town equipped themselves well enough as PSF go. We thought the scoreline flattered Portsmouth. Our finishing was poor but not overly concerning as we did create numerous chances. Fluid passing rather than the confused mechanical clunking of last season. Yeah, feeling positive going forward, just a few more signings and we’re good to go.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 19:21:51 »

Highlights

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/highlights-swindon-0-pompey-2/
Sir red ken

« Reply #267 on: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 19:47:02 »

New back line needs to be signed, too easy to score unmarked goals.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 20:31:58 »

While it's true we need CBs (that will be signed) I think that's a little unfair, seems you've based that on the 150 second video.

Having been to the game I can say that Hawkins was by far the tallest man on the pitch, and will be in most games he plays, so even with better CBs we'd likely have conceded that goal anyway.  The other was an unlucky deflection in the build up for the fellow to get the ball in from the inside left area. 

Obviously there are still things there that could have been better but an 18 year old academy graduate being at fault for a goal in a pre-season friendly isn't really going to be a representation of our back line, neither is the other CB in there at the time being Robertson.

We know we need players in there but to base an idea of our defence on those two and a half minutes is daft.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, July 22, 2018, 20:36:49 »

I do have a bit of sympathy for Brown's predicament.... he's got 2 centre back in Lancashire and Conroy who aren't fit, but may at some point come into contention. So with a limited budget, he probably doesn't want to over stretch and get in 2 replacements, but will wait and probably get in a couple of kids on loan.

Assuming Taylor is LB, then Iandolo can cover that.... but as things stand no cover for Knoyle. All a bit ramshackle and difficult to see us winning too many matches, by keeping a clean sheet. So we'll need to score a few. It's asking a lot of the kid from Fulham to spearhead the attack.

Still 2 weeks though, and given how weak we look, you'd hope something will be done about it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: