Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2018 - 2019 Season Pre Season Friendlies  (Read 81134 times)
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 07:20:54 »

Didn't attend. Obviously like the sound of "classy, very classy...gem" but will a 60 minute stroll in the summer sunshine translate to the less than classy reality of the rough and tumble of 90 gruelling minutes in Div 4?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 07:43:37 »

Didn't attend. Obviously like the sound of "classy, very classy...gem" but will a 60 minute stroll in the summer sunshine translate to the less than classy reality of the rough and tumble of 90 gruelling minutes in Div 4?
And that's precisely why we've got him - to find out exactly how will he do 'on a wet/cold Tuesday night in...' Only time will tell...
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 07:45:26 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 08:10:36 »

Alzate looks the kind of player who could receive the ball just inside the opposition half, do a bit of magic and release one of the strikers quickly. Can’t really think of any players we’ve had recently to compare him with.

Smith reminded me of Kasim. Brown seems to have wonders with Anderson, though. Always involved, good control, beating his man. If he can conjure up the same kind of tune from Woolery, when fit, we could be on to something.

Still, until the real stuff starts it’s a bit daft going overboard.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 08:54:15 »

Obviously this '60 minute stroll in the summer sun' (which you didn't witness) doesn't translate to a 90 min league game (sorry those of us that went couldn't magic up the conditions of an April weekend in Royton) - it was what it was, and the 60 minute format was better than a more traditional 90 min pre-season game with a change of teams at half-time.

For me, seeing a positive way of playing, set-up and as I posted earlier, round pegs in round holes, was good to see. That gives me a better indication of how well the season might go than the result or whether the sun was shining.

Some other observations:

Iandolo took the corners (well, I think he took all of them - Taylor stayed back).
We kept a player near the half-way line at oppo corners.
It looked like we played 433 when we had the ball (although it appeared quite fluid), and as soon as the oppo keeper had the ball we set up 4141.
Alzate = Micky Hazard (ish)
Romanski didn't look out of place.
Any new signings need to be good enough to play in the starting eleven as much of the second string on show were very much second string.

Of course yesterday's game was never going to inform whether we get promoted or relegated, but I'd have rather seen what was on show over a headless chicken performance by a bunch of experienced 4th division cloggers.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 09:29:07 »

Obviously this '60 minute stroll in the summer sun' (which you didn't witness) doesn't translate to a 90 min league game (sorry those of us that went couldn't magic up the conditions of an April weekend in Royton) - it was what it was, and the 60 minute format was better than a more traditional 90 min pre-season game with a change of teams at half-time.

For me, seeing a positive way of playing, set-up and as I posted earlier, round pegs in round holes, was good to see. That gives me a better indication of how well the season might go than the result or whether the sun was shining.

Some other observations:

Iandolo took the corners (well, I think he took all of them - Taylor stayed back).
It looked like we played 433 when we had the ball (although it appeared quite fluid), and as soon as the oppo keeper had the ball we set up 4141.
Any new signings need to be good enough to play in the starting eleven as much of the second string on show were very much second string.

Of course yesterday's game was never going to inform whether we get promoted or relegated, but I'd have rather seen what was on show over a headless chicken performance by a bunch of experienced 4th division cloggers.
Rather touchy this fine morn Mr Leftside! 'Twas a genuine enquiry of your informed opinion as we all know through experience that guile doesn't always win over old fashioned brawn. A successful pre season doesn't always materialize into a successful season either. Fingers crossed
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 09:39:12 »

Some other observations:

Yes agree that first 60 minute match showed some very encouraging signs. Alzate was very impressive, similar to Luongo both in looks and particularly style of play. Smith played the holding midfielder role quite effectively and built play well from deep - McCourt will be his competition for that role. Anderson transformed from last season, far more enthusiastic/involved - definite starter on that showing on left of a front 3. Landolo also linked up well although corners were a mixed bag. Think Dunne will cover for Knoyle at right back and Romanski for Taylor at left back as Brown is looking at bringing in 2 more centre backs rather than full backs. Robertson did well and looked more composed than last season, though think that combination of Conroy/Lancashire and 2 newbies will fight it out for the centre back spots. Need to see more of  McGlashan and Adebayo before passing judgement - both showed glimpses of some ability, but not consistent. Second 60 minutes showed why we need new recruits as really only Twine looked even close to the standard of the first 60 minutes.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #186 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 09:45:04 »

Well, that was encouraging.

Negatives - none

Positives - Alzate is classy, very classy. Smith looks an excellent carrier, pass it on player. McGlashan likes to run direct at the opposition. Adebayo can be summed up in one word - Languid. A sort of Ben Gladwin up front.

Got to keep the best for last, though. Anderson was superb throughout. Great to have Vigs back.

Joe Romanski looks like a real good player in the making - shame about his build.

I know it’s only a friendly but we were better than WBA in that first game.
Thanks for the heads up with the game, would be nice to hear a few others opinion too but that sounds promising even if it was just a friendly.

And thanks too Kirky.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 09:56:00 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 13:55:58 »

Rather touchy this fine morn Mr Leftside! 'Twas a genuine enquiry of your informed opinion as we all know through experience that guile doesn't always win over old fashioned brawn. A successful pre season doesn't always materialize into a successful season either. Fingers crossed
I do think we've got a bit of brawn as well as guile, however, I'd like to see a bit more brawn brought in if Brown gets the chance. And I completely agree, in the past we've witnessed good pre-seasons followed by poor seasons and vice versa. I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw yesterday and it was even more of a success because we didn't seem to pick up any injuries.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #188 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 15:00:23 »

A quick round of the weekends friendly games from other teams in our division.

Alfreton 2-3 Morecambe
Ashton 1-5 Macclesfield
Barrow 1-0 Crewe
Cawley 0-2 Norwich
Cirencester 0-4 Cheltnumb
Chelmesford 1-4 Cambridge
Chippenham 1-0 Newport
Curzon 0-2 Oldham
Gainsborough 2-0 Mansfield XI
Lincoln 0-1 Sheff Weds
Notts County 1-4 Derby
Retford 0-5 Mansfield
Penrith 0-2 Carlisle
Stevenage 3-2 Portsmouth
Swindon 1-3 WBA
Tranmere 1-2 Wigan
Truro 0-6 Exeter
Weston 6-6 FGR

I see Cheltnumb have rejected bids of £500k+ from Peterborough and Portsmouth for Eisa, he has to be off soon, they are still holding out for £1.5m for him.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 17:21:06 »

Ellis looked a bit stronger than last season, played well, I enjoyed it - going to next weeks as well
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 18:10:08 »

STFC: Henry, Dunne, Stanley, McCourt, Haines, Conroy, Young, Graham, Pryce, Edwards, Twine

SUBS: McCormick, Cheshire, Blackwell, Duggan

I was half-tempted to get the train to nam. Sort of glad I didn't now.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 18:26:06 »

yay, Conroy.

I work 10 minutes walk or so from the ground. didn't bother
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 18:28:37 »

Conroy on that surface has to be a little bit concerning...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 18:33:41 »

it'll be fine *

* probably
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 18:50:13 »

1-0 Chippers
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Up