Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Macclesfield Town - Preview  (Read 3286 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:29:09 »

I thought I would have a quick preview of tomorrows opponents, having trawled through their Twitter feeds and forums to give a brief preview and insight of our 1st opponents of the season. Apologies if there are any glaring mistakes but I rushed it through a bit.

Pre season results -

Ashton 1-5 Macc
Altrincham 1-0 Macc
Macc 0-2 Burnley
Macc 1-1 Wrexham
Stockport 1-1 Macc
Macc 1 -0 Wolves U23

Harry Smith scored 4 goals in their 5 game pre season.

Smith is of course well known to Town fans for his bried loan spell last season when he scored 3 times in his 19 games, half of those coming off the bench until his illness cut short his spell and he was well liked by most Town fans.

Another ex Town player there is Michael Rose who is as disliked by Town fans as Smith is liked by them. Rose never settled at Swindon and commuted from his home in Manchester, that, Danny Wilson said contributed to his poor form as he made several costly mistakes for Swindon including a sending off in his 41 games in the 2010-11 season, culminating in a dispute with fans on Twitter, then having his contract terminated at the end of the season.

Mark Yates and Neil Howarth (assistant) arrived the end of June to replace outgoing manager John Askey who left for Shrewsbury after winning the Conference by 10 clear points. Macclesfield return to the league after 5 seasons in the Conference.

Scott Wilson was their leading scorer last season with 16 goals, they have kept the nucleus of the side that gained them the championship last season.

Macclesfield Summer transfer dealings
12 new players In -
Miles Welch-Hayes (defender) [Bath - Undisclosed]
Nathan Blissett (striker) [Plymouth - Free]
Ben Stephens (striker) [Stratford - Undisclosed]
Jamie Grimes (defender) [Unattached]
Fiacre Kelleher (defender) [Oxford - Loan]
Harry Smith (striker) [Millwall - Free]
James Pearson (defender) [Unattached]
Rhys Taylor (GK) [AFC Flyde - Free]
Michael Rose (defender/midfielder) [Unattached - Free]
Callum Maycock (midfielder) - [Coventry - Loan]
Luke Simpson (goalkeeper) - [York - Free]
Malachi Napa (striker) - [Poxford United - loan]

3 Players Out -
Shwan Jalal [Chesterfield - Free]
Kieran Kennedy [Shrewsbury - Undisclosed]
Mitch Hancox [Franchise - Free]

In the league we have played Macclesfield 4 times with, Swindon having a 100% record at by winning both the home games - But conversely we have lost all our other previous meetings with them, 2 away league games and 2 FA cup games 1 home and 1 away.

On their forum, the consensus of opinion seems to be that we are charging way too much for tickets at £23 despite a seat at Macclesfield costing £22 (yes they have standing for £15 but they arent paying for standing at Swindon). Yes I agree that £23 is too much for L2 football but then again so is £22 which is what they charge.

Our opponents have sold 50 tickets for the game so far and they have sold out one coach and have booked a 2nd coach and hope to be cheered on by around 150 travelling fans, their 3 previous visits they have brought 139, 38 and 170 fans all for Saturday visits to the CG.

Manager Mark Yates has spoken to the press ahead of the game and stated "we fear nobody in this division" a very confident statement as he heads into his first game in charge of Macclesfield.

48 year old Mark Yates as a player represented Birmingham City, Colchester Utd, Burnley, Lincoln City, Doncaster Rovers, Kidderminster Harriers twice and Cheltenham Town in a career spanning nearly 600 matches. He was also capped by England at C level twice in 1999.

His record in management so far is-
Kidderminster Harriers  216 games     92W   52D   72L   42.6% WR Quit
Cheltenham Town         257 games     93W   69D   95L   36.2% WR Sacked
Crawley Town                47 games     13W      8D   26L   27.7% WR Sacked
Solihull Moors                29 games     12W    10D    7L    41.4% WR Quit

Total                           549 games    210W   139D 200L  38.3% WR    

His record managing vs Swindon is a total of 3 games for Cheltenham with his side winning twice and losing to us once.

In 12 years as a manager he has never been promoted but has never suffered a relegation, getting to the Play offs twice with Cheltenham being beaten in the Semi Final and the Final with them.

Macclesfield have a fully fit team except for winger Elliott Durrell who misses the game with a groin injury.

His footballing style has often been described as agricultural, with lots of long balls kicked high to a massive target man.

Crawley fans are not overly complimentary about his style of play with several saying watching football under him being dull as dishwater with odd team selections, poor tactics and no plan B, but it has got him some good results over his career.

Cheltenham fans liked him in the main with only a few saying he wasn't up to the job.

They are likely to drop back and put a lot of players behind the ball and hit us with long balls out of defence, being strong defending and attacking set pieces but with little open play creativity going forwards, if he keeps to his usual style of play.

Going from pre season teams which have been in the main fairly settled in formation I would suggest that his team will line up as follows tomorrow - they have been playing with 51211 with a holding midfielder and Smith as a target man with a 2nd striker sat just behind him.

Taylor (GK)

Kelleher   Grimes   Welch-Hayes
Fitzpatrick                                Hodgkiss

Maycock              
          Rose                Whittaker

Wilson
                                Smith

Addendum - it appears Macclesfield are more likely to go 442 as the 532 was experimental, we will soon see.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 4, 2018, 08:49:38 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:34:51 »

Not relevant at all but Moss Rose is cracking little old school ground.

No doubt it will be gone within a few years
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:47:58 »

I'd like to see this become a regular TEF feature this season.....
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:49:37 »

I thought I would have a quick preview of tomorrows opponents, having trawled through their Twitter feeds and forums to give a brief preview and insight of our 1st opponents of the season. Apologies if there are any glaring mistakes but I rushed it through a bit.

Pre season results -

Ashton 1-5 Macc
Altrincham 1-0 Macc
Macc 0-2 Burnley
Macc 1-1 Wrexham
Stockport 1-1 Macc
Macc 1 -0 Wolves U23

Harry Smith scored 4 goals in their 5 game pre season.

Smith is of course well known to Town fans for his bried loan spell last season when he scored 3 times in his 19 games, half of those coming off the bench until his illness cut short his spell and he was well liked by most Town fans.

Another ex Town player there is Michael Rose who is as disliked by Town fans as Smith is liked by them. Rose never settled at Swindon and commuted from his home in Manchester, that, Danny Wilson said contributed to his poor form as he made several costly mistakes for Swindon including a sending off in his 41 games in the 2010-11 season, culminating in a dispute with fans on Twitter, then having his contract terminated at the end of the season.

Mark Yates and Neil Howarth (assistant) arrived the end of June to replace outgoing manager John Askey who left for Shrewsbury after winning the Conference by 10 clear points. Macclesfield return to the league after 5 seasons in the Conference.

Scott Wilson was their leading scorer last season with 16 goals, they have kept the nucleus of the side that gained them the championship last season.

Macclesfield Summer transfer dealings
12 new players In -
Miles Welch-Hayes (defender) [Bath - Undisclosed]
Nathan Blissett (striker) [Plymouth - Free]
Ben Stephens (striker) [Stratford - Undisclosed]
Jamie Grimes (defender) [Unattached]
Fiacre Kelleher (defender) [Oxford - Loan]
Harry Smith (striker) [Millwall - Free]
James Pearson (defender) [Unattached]
Rhys Taylor (GK) [AFC Flyde - Free]
Michael Rose (defender/midfielder) [Unattached - Free]
Callum Maycock (midfielder) - [Coventry - Loan]
Luke Simpson (goalkeeper) - [York - Free]
Malachi Napa (striker) - [Poxford United - loan]

3 Players Out -
Shwan Jalal [Chesterfield - Free]
Kieran Kennedy [Shrewsbury - Undisclosed]
Mitch Hancox [Franchise - Free]

In the league we have played Macclesfield 4 times with, Swindon having a 100% record at by winning both the home games - But conversely we have lost all our other previous meetings with them, 2 away league games and 2 FA cup games 1 home and 1 away.

On their forum, the consensus of opinion seems to be that we are charging way too much for tickets at £23 despite a seat at Macclesfield costing £22 (yes they have standing for £15 but they arent paying for standing at Swindon). Yes I agree that £23 is too much for L2 football but then again so is £22 which is what they charge.

Our opponents have sold 50 tickets for the game so far and they have sold out one coach and have booked a 2nd coach and hope to be cheered on by around 150 travelling fans, their 3 previous visits they have brought 139, 38 and 170 fans all for Saturday visits to the CG.

Manager Mark Yates has spoken to the press ahead of the game and stated "we fear nobody in this division" a very confident statement as he heads into his first game in charge of Macclesfield.

48 year old Mark Yates as a player represented Birmingham City, Colchester Utd, Burnley, Lincoln City, Doncaster Rovers, Kidderminster Harriers twice and Cheltenham Town in a career spanning nearly 600 matches. He was also capped by England at C level twice in 1999.

His record in management so far is-
Kidderminster Harriers  216 games     92W   52D   72L   42.6% WR Quit
Cheltenham Town         257 games     93W   69D   95L   36.2% WR Sacked
Crawley Town                47 games     13W      8D   26L   27.7% WR Sacked
Solihull Moors                29 games     12W    10D    7L    41.4% WR Quit

Total                           549 games    210W   139D 200L  38.3% WR    

His record managing vs Swindon is a total of 3 games for Cheltenham with his side winning twice and losing to us once.

In 12 years as a manager he has never been promoted but has never suffered a relegation, getting to the Play offs twice with Cheltenham being beaten in the Semi Final and the Final with them.

Macclesfield have a fully fit team except for winger Elliott Durrell who misses the game with a groin injury.

His footballing style has often been described as agricultural, with lots of long balls kicked high to a massive target man.

Crawley fans are not overly complimentary about his style of play with several saying watching football under him being dull as dishwater with odd team selections, poor tactics and no plan B, but it has got him some good results over his career.

Cheltenham fans liked him in the main with only a few saying he wasn't up to the job.

They are likely to drop back and put a lot of players behind the ball and hit us with long balls out of defence, being strong defending and attacking set pieces but with little open play creativity going forwards, if he keeps to his usual style of play.

Going from pre season teams which have been in the main fairly settled in formation I would suggest that his team will line up as follows tomorrow - they have been playing with 51211 with a holding midfielder and Smith as a target man with a 2nd striker sat just behind him.

Taylor (GK)

Kelleher   Grimes   Welch-Hayes
Fitzpatrick                                Hodgkiss

Maycock               
          Rose                Whittaker

Wilson
                                Smith

Excellent write-up.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:51:05 »

Other than my week in Holland in 2 weeks time I will certainly try and give a full preview for each game.

Excellent write-up.
Thank you.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:53:23 »

Seconded.  PV's Previews has a ring to it. 
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:56:20 »

Will we field a team of fully grown Rottweiler's or a playful group of Bichon Frise.

Not long to find out.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:57:59 »

Good work PV.

I worry about our ability to deal with high balls, so the write up has really highlighted that I'll probably be shown right or wrong tomorrow.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 15:59:29 »

Thirded. Impressive research work PV.  Thumb

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 16:28:38 »

I've gone for a very exciting 50p on Doughty to score first, Twine to score and 2-0 win for a potential return of £136.76.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 17:57:23 »

That was interesting, thanks

I know they’re not the most supported team in the world, and it’s a 3-4 hour journey, but 150 for your first league game in 5 years is piss poor

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 18:02:37 »

That was interesting, thanks

I know they’re not the most supported team in the world, and it’s a 3-4 hour journey, but 150 for your first league game in 5 years is piss poor

Think Crawley brought 87 for our second home game last season....
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 18:06:59 »

Great write up PV, very informative.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 3, 2018, 18:23:53 »

3rded. Great work PV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: