Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Summer Cricket 2018  (Read 37376 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 14:31:57 »

England squad for first test

Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, Dawid Malan, Joe Root (capt), Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Dominic Bess.

A little uninspired, imo.

Some good youngsters coming through at Surrey CCC, my county of choice but what about Dominic Bess, Somerset fans?  Would be great if he actually got a game.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 14:44:07 »

There really isn't a whole lot to pick from.   Jos Buttler wil be delighted to get called up and so have to return from India where he's ripping up the IPL, hasn't played any red ball cricket for ages.

Dom Bess is just the next cab off the rank, and wouldn't have been called up if Jack Leach hadn't busted his thumb.

The one fella who should be getting picked is Joffra Archer, but he's really cracked it big time, the hottest bowler in IPL, and can't be picked by England for about another 6 years or so.  Means he doesn't need to go down the Hales/Rashid route of appearing disloyal by retiring from red ball cricket.

Stokes and Woakes have been terrible in the IPL... can't see a whole lot of point in playing them both, unless Stokes is justa  bat.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 14:58:46 »

Bess probably is the next cab off the rank but id have loved to have seen Amar Virdi picked.

Pakistan and India both competent players of spin so I expect the seamers will have to do most of the work.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 15:17:05 »

Bess can, at the very least, hold up an end, and is a pretty good batsman so maybe that gave him the edge. He hasn't played all of Somerset's games this season due to Leach being first choice, and not all pitches at this time of year being spin friendly.

There are a few glimmers of hope in the CC in both batting (Clarke, Gubbins, Foakes, Pope) and bowling (Bess, Virdi, Stone, Tongue, Porter, Coad), I don't think there are many first class fixtures for a while now though.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 15:46:12 »

Dom Bess has 63 first class wickets at an average of 22.49 and is 20 years old. He's not exactly a dull selection, even if Virdi is the flavour of the month. Also has a first class ton and and 80 both scored this year.

Buttler back in is... surprising. I can see the "why" behind putting an attacking batsman at 7, just not really why it's him. Vince himself would have been much better lower in the order than at 3, and if it's Surrey teenagers we want in the side, Ollie Pope is on the hottest of hot streaks.

Ultimately though, it's not a terrible selection. The problem is we have a lot of depth in some positions (RFM bowlers, wicket keepers) and not much in others (fast bowlers, opening bats) so you have to make the decision to either put some square pegs in round holes or pick players who aren't even close to being the best eleven cricketers in England. Tough gig.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 15:57:56 »

Bess probably is the next cab off the rank but id have loved to have seen Amar Virdi picked.

Pakistan and India both competent players of spin so I expect the seamers will have to do most of the work.

Up to the start of this season Virdi had 6 wickets at 45. He may be the answer, but you have to give these lads a chance to learn their craft first.... this is why the ECB's messing with the CC is such a problem. How the hell is Virdi supposed to learn if he's not playing 1st class cricket? I don't think they've done Mason Crane any favours by sticking him in too soon.

Dom Bess and Jack Leach have had a bit of a leg up at Ciderabad, prepare a spin friendly pitch, at least it gives them some sort of chance to learn.

Northants County Ground, always used to be reasonably friendly for spinners which is why our last 2 decent spinners Monty and Swann learned their trade there.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 16:13:53 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 16:17:07 »

Dom Bess has 63 first class wickets at an average of 22.49 and is 20 years old. He's not exactly a dull selection, even if Virdi is the flavour of the month. Also has a first class ton and and 80 both scored this year.

Buttler back in is... surprising. I can see the "why" behind putting an attacking batsman at 7, just not really why it's him. Vince himself would have been much better lower in the order than at 3, and if it's Surrey teenagers we want in the side, Ollie Pope is on the hottest of hot streaks.

Ultimately though, it's not a terrible selection. The problem is we have a lot of depth in some positions (RFM bowlers, wicket keepers) and not much in others (fast bowlers, opening bats) so you have to make the decision to either put some square pegs in round holes or pick players who aren't even close to being the best eleven cricketers in England. Tough gig.

Thing with Buttler is that he is hugely talented... therefore they think he should be able to do Test cricket, just that so far he can't.   A proper left field punt would be stick him in to open with Stoneman, drop Cook to 3, Root 4
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 17:10:34 »

That punt has had me spilling my Pimms all over my Daily Telegraph Smiley

Interesting to read more about Bess in particular.  Virdi does give it a rip.  Bess obviously an edge over Virdi in terms of first class experience, a decent average and in his batting.  

Would love to see Bess play.  England early in the summer for a green spinner on a green top against Pakistan is a risk but the right player can only gain from experience.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 17:21:09 »

As a Somerset fan, I've watched Bess and Leach bowl a lot over the last 2 seasons.  Leach is the more accurate at present, but Bess gets more spin and has better flight.  Bess is potentially the best young player Somerset have produced since Trescothick (plenty of Somerset fans agree).  His fielding and batting are excellent too.  He's a better long-term prospect than Leach. Haven't seen Virdi bowl yet.  Quite annoyed that England have picked Bess as was hoping he'd get a couple of unencumbered seasons at Somerset.  
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 17:24:26 by hefty toe » Logged
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 24, 2018, 15:42:07 »

Glad I didn't waste £150-ish on going to Lords today.  Oh well, let's see what we can do with the ball.  Not optimistic, though.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 24, 2018, 16:11:10 »

Glad I didn't waste £150-ish on going to Lords today.  Oh well, let's see what we can do with the ball.  Not optimistic, though.

Remember it's the overseas conditions which cause us problems, we'll be OK once we get back on English pitches with the ball we prefer............oh wait Sad
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 16:55:37 »

Is there any department of the game we are any good at now?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 16:56:06 »

It's all turning to mid nineties dross for England it seems.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 25, 2018, 17:41:02 »

Is there any department of the game we are any good at now?

Ranked world number 1 in 50 over cricket.  This was the priority that Strauss put in place, when getting to be head honcho. It's te reason why Bayliss is still in a job. To that end, English domestic cricket has been tailored to suit, and unsurprisingly the Test side has suffered a bit.

It's somewhat bizarre that the Pakistani lads have had more 4 day cricket going into this game than the England squad.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 14:32:38 »

It’s one thing getting humiliated by the Aussies over there, but suffering the same fate in a home series is a step too far.

Surely the batting coach has to be under pressure after another abject batting performance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: