Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FA to sell Wembley??  (Read 16864 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, April 27, 2018, 11:17:46 »

To be honest, English football doesn’t need Wembley full stop. As Paul said above, England playing all over the country is much better anyway.
Also, Play off finals, particularly Conferance, League 2 and League 1 would be better somewhere like Old Trafford, Villa Park, Elland Road etc. It’s only really the FA Cup final and possibly the Championshp play off final when Wembley is actually full.

I heard on the news this morning that 10 years ago or whatever Germany had to decide whether to build a national stadium or not. They chose not to bother and invest the money in youth development and training etc.

If the FA do sell, I hope that the money get invested in a similar way.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, April 27, 2018, 11:23:36 »

I heard on the news this morning that 10 years ago or whatever Germany had to decide whether to build a national stadium or not. They chose not to bother and invest the money in youth development and training etc.

If the FA do sell, I hope that the money get invested in a similar way.
That is what they are claiming they will use the money for. But AFAIK, they still owe a shit-load on the original loan to build the bloody thing so most of it will get sucked into the black hole of financial incompetence that the whole project represents
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, April 27, 2018, 12:11:47 »

The new stadium is a soulless shit hole, if I don't have to go back there to be ripped off on the ticket prices, I won't be upset.
Agreed.

Nevertheless I had been hoping to have to return and be ripped off until quite recently.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, April 27, 2018, 12:12:02 »

I hope that this will be the end of the faux reverence we're all meant to show to towards the 'national stadium'.  Soulless concrete monstrosity plonked in a nondescript and instantly forgettable London suburb.

[Can you guess that my team has never won there?]
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, April 27, 2018, 14:23:51 »

This would be the same Wembley stadium that English football has completely been skewed for over a decade to pay for it's construction because it was so critical we had a new national stadium? That they're now proposing to sell off at a loss?

This.

Was always against the "New" Wembley as the area it is in is a pain to get to and even more of a paint to get away from. Typical of the F.A., spent way over the odds for a stadium that was not really needed in light of all the other excellent Premiership/Championship ones dotted around the country, and as usual the paying fans came a very poor second in their thoughts compared to the hierarchy.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, April 27, 2018, 20:53:45 »

Soulless concrete monstrosity plonked in a nondescript and instantly forgettable London suburb.][/size]
The stadium's history is a bit more interesting than what you suggest.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW010843

Still, the current incarnation is everything a rip-off corporate project should be. Football ground it isn't.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, April 28, 2018, 14:12:04 »

Am I missing something?  £500m being stated as the selling price, yet the news quoting £800m with £500m being stated as the amount that will be pumped into grassroots (not that I believe that for a second).

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, April 28, 2018, 14:38:51 »

The stadium's history is a bit more interesting than what you suggest.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW010843

Still, the current incarnation is everything a rip-off corporate project should be. Football ground it isn't.
100% which is why i’ll never go there for a playoff, checkatrade final. FA Cup, League Cup or any European Cup final to which that sleeping giant Swindon Town go to i’d Hope to be there, though to be fair i’ll probably be dead when that happens anyway.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, April 28, 2018, 15:23:47 »

Quote from: Berniman
Am I missing something?  £500m being stated as the selling price, yet the news quoting £800m with £500m being stated as the amount that will be pumped into grassroots (not that I believe that for a second).

I think the £300m is the valuation of Club Wembley, which the fa retain.

£500M cash
Sir red ken

« Reply #24 on: Saturday, April 28, 2018, 15:29:15 »

They should sell up nad then use the money to rebuild the original Wembley in a green and pleasant piece of land.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: