Poll
Question: Should we employ Phil 'tango' Brown as manager for next season?
Yes - 64 (59.8%)
No - 30 (28%)
Don't care - 13 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phil Brown: Yes or No?  (Read 135109 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Thursday, May 10, 2018, 19:01:40 »

I'm pleased.  And pleased with the timing as well.  He's had time to assess the squad and will now have the summer to rebuild it.  His eyes will be wide open after having seen the final quarter of the season with us, so clearly fancies his chances at making a difference.  Good luck, I say.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Thursday, May 10, 2018, 19:27:35 »

Given the statement clearly describes the squad assessment/recruitment angle, logic must surely take you down a road that Power will enable Brown to re-build at least a little, and not the Reg summary of working with what he has while being hogtied and whipped by Sheen Easton.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Thursday, May 10, 2018, 19:36:56 »

Given the statement clearly describes the squad assessment/recruitment angle, logic must surely take you down a road that Power will enable Brown to re-build at least a little, and not the Reg summary of working with what he has while being hogtied and whipped by Sheen Easton.

The new blood will largely be 5 loans.  I suspect Phil wouldn't mind the Sheena option, mind.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Thursday, May 10, 2018, 20:04:49 »

Good point... they may struggle next season, it does feel like they're perhaps spending money they don't have.

I've no particular love for Flitters, but largely felt he did an OK job and probably left us better off than what he found us.

In fairness I suppose that, in the eyes of anyone who feared relegation, he did an incredible job.

For the record , we achieved better form over the final 10 games of the season than 9 other L2 teams. So, even if ‘Flitters’ does get his lads applying themselves by a further million or so percent, your ‘interpretation of fact’ might not condemn us to life with the ‘dead men’.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Thursday, May 10, 2018, 20:22:34 »

If you were dealing in facts you would have mentioned the facts that Rob alluded to in his post, among the many others, that clearly hamstrung Brown from the time he took over. We'll judge him on his own merit when he has been given sufficient time (with his own squad) to stamp his mark on proceedings. & we'll have to agree to disagree re the persona comment I'm afraid. As I mentioned if you posted just the odd positive comment from time to time it would show that you are maybe, just maybe, looking at things objectively rather than trying to enhance your Victor Meldrew act for the 1 or 2 on here that for some inexplicable reason find it entertaining.
I enjoy Reg's posts, especially his knowledge. That's not to say I agree with all he writes. He's a bit Oracle of Delphi meets Marvin the Paranoid Android.

Keep it up Reg.

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Thursday, May 10, 2018, 20:23:53 »

I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about brown.
He looks like he always has a warm fuzzy feeling.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Thursday, May 10, 2018, 20:31:56 »

In fairness I suppose that, in the eyes of anyone who feared relegation, he did an incredible job.

For the record , we achieved better form over the final 10 games of the season than 9 other L2 teams. So, even if ‘Flitters’ does get his lads applying themselves by a further million or so percent, your ‘interpretation of fact’ might not condemn us to life with the ‘dead men’.

My concern with Mansfield next season is no more or less than any of the other 22 competitors.

However I can't be the only fan who has noticed our lowest league position for 34 years. At the start of the season I predicted Flitters could achieve a respectable finish, given the circumstances he entered and found at the club.

I think that was largely achieved.

However you choose to dress it up, the background to next season, will be, has our slide bottomed out?  Can PB get us moving in an upward direction? 

As ever, it will be interesting.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 00:18:28 »

Extrapolate Phil's record from the 10 games over the course of a season and we're down with the dead men.... therefore he will need to do better.

I don't see how that statement is in any way controversial.... but I'm always open to a counter argument if you want to provide one.

I'll give you a counter argument;

Your statement is wrong Reg. Even with PB's 10 game record. We would not have been relegated. Let's take a look;

PB 10 Game record transferred to a 46 game season

P   - W - D - L  - Pts
-----------------------
10 - 2  - 5  - 3 - 11

Transfer to multiplication factor of all fields by 4.6 = to 46 games;

P   - W   - D  -  L      - Pts
-----------------------
46 - 9.2 - 23 - 13.8 - 50.6

Seeing as 9.2 wins and 13.8 losses are not possible, we'll amend and round those fields down and up respectively;

P   - W - D  -  L   - Pts
-----------------------
46 - 9  - 23 - 14 - 50

A team gaining 50pts has entertained the idea of relegation/re-election four times since 3pts per win and twice since abolition of re-election/introduction of defined relegation to the Conference. 4 times in 37 seasons infers it is very rare. Once a decade per se.

Seeing as we're in the present and using the most current data available, being season 2017/18, 50 pts would have seen us finish 18th. Whilst not winning the Wilts/Gloucs/Somerset league (Cheltenham would have received that honour) and not a fantastic final league placing, for the ever optimist like yourself this would still have been a successful avoidance of relegation from the football league.

Of course, this is all a load of rubbish really as I see us bettering our campaign from last season. Two main reasons; Brown is likely to assemble a stronger squad than DF, owing to his experience and contacts in the game. Also while we can't predict injuries, the likelihood of injury in two key positions, down to 4th/5th choice would be pretty unlucky to happen again. I'll be happy to say we can gain automatic promotion with PB at the helm.

That is probably where our differences lie. I set myself up for the fall... Cheesy

"The nights you fight best are
when reason gets kicked in the gut,
when the chariots of doom encircle you..."

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 06:31:59 »

Yeah. We wouldn’t go down, we’d just be really really shit

Things get better but they never get good
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 07:33:05 »

Brown has never built on a shoestring and his comments toward the end of the season and post match on Saturday made it clear he had no intention of starting now, so  I'm working on the assumption that Tuesday's meeting was about him being assured that he would have a decent budget with which to rebuild. For that reason alone and the fact we're not fucking about until July, I see this as a positive.
Flashheart

« Reply #310 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 07:46:51 »

Yet some will still insist we have a non-league budget.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #311 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 07:54:09 »

Brown has never built on a shoestring and his comments toward the end of the season and post match on Saturday made it clear he had no intention of starting now, so  I'm working on the assumption that Tuesday's meeting was about him being assured that he would have a decent budget with which to rebuild. For that reason alone and the fact we're not fucking about until July, I see this as a positive.
That's how I see it. Not pro or anti Brown. There to be won over / lost but at least we get cracking now not in September.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 08:13:31 »

Yet some will still insist we have a non-league budget.
Yes but then some people think the earth is flat or that climate change is a negotiable belief rather than a matter of science. Or that Mrs Browns Boys is entertainment. Don't worry about them
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 08:20:28 »

So what we know is this. Power has given the gig to PB. To which you’d assume they have agreed to who goes and who stays. The next two points are budget, which in part has been or will be predetermined by the aforementioned current players. The next part is who PB feels he needs to mount what really has to be a serious promotion campaign and can get squeeze their wage demands into this budget of unknown value.
Panda Paws

« Reply #314 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 08:43:03 »

Even at break even, we have one of the biggest budgets in the league. There's no doubt PB would not have taken the job unless we were planning on competing. Again, anything less than play-offs is a failure, as it was this year.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: