Poll
Question: Should we employ Phil 'tango' Brown as manager for next season?
Yes - 64 (59.8%)
No - 30 (28%)
Don't care - 13 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phil Brown: Yes or No?  (Read 135061 times)
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 12:00:05 »

It just depends who's available.  If Power could get say Bentley, Garrard or Kewell then I would go with any one of them ahead of Brown.  Brown would be adequate.  Very pleased that Flitcroft is no longer the manager.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 12:13:37 »

Leaning towards no but if he stays get rid of bloody Brian Horton. Brown does have some knowledge now of Div 4
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 13:21:02 »

Not sure who would be a good choice but appointing Brown for next season would create zilch enthusiasm for me.
Powers 5 year plan hasn't worked.
Where the fuck do we go from here?

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 13:49:04 »

I voted Keep/Yes. I wouldn't be against another option though but it would have to be better and fairly realistic. Unless Power is going to go "All In" again but that is pretty unlikely. I banged on about us getting Uwe Rosler ands I would still welcome that kind of appointment. His win average is around 42% (Leeds doesn't really count as they've had more managers than a whores knickers have been pulled down in recent years. Similarly his time at Molde can be discounted as it's too small a model, even if 70%+).

Would Rosler want the job? Would he operate under constraints? There's an argument for that but there's also the argument that a good manager does enjoy a challenge. Sometimes that can be going into a role where the company is in the doldrums and you arrest that slide. Many managers thrive on that kind of pressure. Plus, if you do pull the company out of the shit, it not only looks great but you gain massive respect for not just sitting in a comfortable role having to do nothing. It's easy of course to choose an easy option but lets not rush to think every manager finds that satisfying or is achieving something. Often those things end in stagnation and end sour.

I'd be happy for Brown to stay. I think he has a good combination of passion, ability, technical nous and a little bit crackers to do well with us, even possibly build something here. He reminds me of a perma-tanned Ian Holloway, except he's from the North and has hair. Probably not quite as nuts...Totally different...  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 14:19:08 »

Meh,

Not his squad and we’ve had injuries to key players, particularly defenders...but...results have been garbage.

On one hand I’d lean towards not judging him till he’s got his own players in...but...again, if PB is going to be a good enough manager to get us out of this cesspit - then he should be able to get better results than he has from our collection of atrocious players. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t expecting him to suddenly have winning every week but I expected at least a minimal new manager ‘bounce’
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 15:13:28 »

Meh,

Not his squad and we’ve had injuries to key players, particularly defenders...but...results have been garbage.

On one hand I’d lean towards not judging him till he’s got his own players in...but...again, if PB is going to be a good enough manager to get us out of this cesspit - then he should be able to get better results than he has from our collection of atrocious players. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t expecting him to suddenly have winning every week but I expected at least a minimal new manager ‘bounce’

Well he did win his first game in charge and he did stop us from losing many games (albeit they became draws, something we'd really not done under DF). So maybe that was the slight manager bounce?...With that being said and arguing in Brown's defence, with regard to many in the squad, there could definitely be an element of 'you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink.'

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 15:24:23 »

Well he did win his first game in charge and he did stop us from losing many games (albeit they became draws, something we'd really not done under DF). So maybe that was the slight manager bounce?...With that being said and arguing in Brown's defence, with regard to many in the squad, there could definitely be an element of 'you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink.'

Some on here thought that our players were just being held back by Flitters, firstly Matt Taylor and then PB were going to "remove the shackles" et voila sunlit uplands. Now they think the players are all shit  Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 15:42:40 »

Some on here thought that our players were just being held back by Flitters, firstly Matt Taylor and then PB were going to "remove the shackles" et voila sunlit uplands. Now they think the players are all shit  Smiley

I think we have a few decent core players that are worth their salt, so to speak and with a full pre season they'll have what it takes (whatever that might be) with  some fresh faces and desire, maybe some untapped talent as well, to help get us out the league. PB definitely saw a slight improvement in Dunne. Maybe that's a coincidence but under DF I couldn't understand why he managed to get in our team. Maybe PB's managerial tweaking of teaching players to move a few yards into position was taken on and absorbed by Dunne? He did improve...obviously he's still a limited player but even I would say he could be a useful squad player but probably not a regular first teamer. Maybe some just didn't want to play under DF, and some may not want to play under PB? That's management for you and I won't quote the famous Brian Clough line, again.

'Incessant Nonsense'

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 17:18:04 »

Makes sense to give him a go.  Wasn't sold on him, saw he was trying to make a change for the better, not sure if it will work.  Ideally I'd have gone for someone showing improvement in the lower leagues back in December.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 17:50:24 »

Yes. Just because no means more uncertainty. Last thing we need is an age long wait to find a manager going into next season. There's no room for error in this league. Wrong choice and we could be staring in to the abyss that is the Vanarama conference.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 18:04:22 »

Yes. Just because no means more uncertainty. Last thing we need is an age long wait to find a manager going into next season. There's no room for error in this league. Wrong choice and we could be staring in to the abyss that is the Vanarama conference.
Yes.
He knows what he is up against
He’d have a head start on anyone else
He is likely to know who he’d like here next season
He knows who is a dud
Should have contacts on many levels
Where are we going to get a manager with PL-div 2 experience from at our level
Against all odds, he wants it.....

Trini

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 20:16:05 »

He needs to be judged on results once he has had the chance to bring in his own players and playing style.

I'd love to think we could find a player manager but I fear those days are over. In fact Hoddle said this himself when asked last Friday.

69 ...... my favourite number.
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 10:46:40 »

There seems to be a lot of debate of whether you can judge Brown on the few games that he has been in charge.
(I personally feel that he could and should have done much better).
Not his team, not enough time  etc

Contrary to that Flitcroft has been blamed by all and sundry for the demise of Mansfield by changing tactics and team selection.

Double standards seem to apply here.

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 10:53:36 »

There seems to be a lot of debate of whether you can judge Brown on the few games that he has been in charge.
(I personally feel that he could and should have done much better).
Not his team, not enough time  etc

Contrary to that Flitcroft has been blamed by all and sundry for the demise of Mansfield by changing tactics and team selection.

Double standards seem to apply here.

Mansfield's record since Flitters left is exactly the same as ours.... clearly it's his fault for both.  A failure to motivate Evans' players and the failure of Brown to motivate ours.
Sir red ken

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 11:27:23 »

My concern with Brown is our forrn is now one of the worst in the div. Not that Flipflop would have been any better. Here's my doubt, is PB another Danny Williams, in that he's had his day in the sun and now its gone? We must get this right or next year could be a weeping into our hands season.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: