Poll
Question: Should we employ Phil 'tango' Brown as manager for next season?
Yes - 64 (59.8%)
No - 30 (28%)
Don't care - 13 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phil Brown: Yes or No?  (Read 135053 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #105 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 10:26:29 »

It's not so much about the raw figures, but rather the efficacy of the spend.

I actually agree, Reg. But I'm not one that keeps on claiming we have a conference level budget holding us back.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 10:30:08 »

Can we assume that our budget next year is likely to be lower than this, on the basis that we are probably projecting lower income? Whoever of Cov, Mansfield and Lincoln doesn't go up will probably have more to spend than us, plus MK and one or two of the other L1 clubs making the drop. Even so, you'd think that we'd still be in the top five or so, unless someone somewhere is spunking the cash.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 10:34:12 »

From memory, I think Power said our break-even point was around 6k in attendances, so there might be a bit of downward tweaking if they continue to fall. I noticed in a recent interview that Brown said something about 'getting the crowds back'.

While 6k attendances are very poor for us, of course, they are still quite high for this league relatively speaking.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 10:36:14 »

I actually agree, Reg. But I'm not one that keeps on claiming we have a conference level budget holding us back.

What I'm saying is that I can see why Power would appoint Waddock over Brown, in that he's used to working with a limited budget, whereras Phil by the looks of his Sarfend signings like Coxy, and the eye waterering agent spend isn't.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 10:42:18 »

Can we assume that our budget next year is likely to be lower than this, on the basis that we are probably projecting lower income? Whoever of Cov, Mansfield and Lincoln doesn't go up will probably have more to spend than us, plus MK and one or two of the other L1 clubs making the drop. Even so, you'd think that we'd still be in the top five or so, unless someone somewhere is spunking the cash.

The great thing about Div 4 is that it is a reasonably  level playing field.  OK, there's a few quid differnce here and there, but as Accy winning the league with apparently the lowest budget and Spireites Conference bound with the 6th highest shows, it's down to getting it right on the pitch and a bit of luck.

Flitters looked to be doing that up to a point, but now we're back in uncertain territiory.... Power has to get this right.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 10:47:24 »

It's not so much about the raw figures, but rather the efficacy of the spend.
This is totally indisputable, Orient showed this last season as well as Chesterfield this year.

The feel is that PB, is a bit too high profile for us atm, probably unable to work effectively with the grade of player we have at our disposal and likely to attract next season.  With that in mind a Waddock class manager may well be a much better fit, if we are to avoid a Chesterfield fate.
I would dispute this, PB is "possibly" managing below where he sees himself but to say the "grade of player at his disposal" is wrong.

I think PB cannot polish a turd as most of our players currently are, If PB does indeed accept the job he must be judged by the quality of his own signings not those left to him by the previous incompetent incumbant.

Although if PB goes I will not be too bothered I do think that if he stays he will sort us out, we are (more often) harder to beat than under Flipflop but alas we are also less freely scoring than under him too.

With about 5 new signings I feel we will be more than competitive in this league under his management.

How often have we said that we really should have won a game but one silly mistake by a defender/midfielder/goalkeeper has cost us a win/draw. The standard of the league has been at times woefull and it wouldn't take much to turn an average/poor side into a a decent team. IMO of course.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 10:50:10 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 10:57:40 »

This is totally indisputable, Orient showed this last season as well as Chesterfield this year.
I would dispute this, PB is "possibly" managing below where he sees himself but to say the "grade of player at his disposal" is wrong.

I think PB cannot polish a turd as most of our players currently are, If PB does indeed accept the job he must be judged by the quality of his own signings not those left to him by the previous incompetent incumbant.

Although if PB goes I will not be too bothered I do think that if he stays he will sort us out, we are (more often) harder to beat than under Flipflop but alas we are also less freely scoring than under him too.

With about 5 new signings I feel we will be more than competitive in this league under his management.

How often have we said that we really should have won a game but one silly mistake by a defender/midfielder/goalkeeper has cost us a win/draw. The standard of the league has been at times woefull and it wouldn't take much to turn an average/poor side into a a decent team. IMO of course.

It may be fair to say that Flitters' players aren't Brown players.... but seeing as how a fair number are contracted for next season and maybe difficult to move on, if he can't work with them and improve them then it's a recipe for trouble.  Much better to to get in someone like a Waddock who is probably a bit more pragmatic.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 10:59:28 »

With about 5 new signings I feel we will be more than comeptitive in this league under his management.
Think we were 2 x defenders (or less injured ones) and a striker away from a stab at the autos.

But we've a lot of players whose futures haven't been tied up yet, Taylor and Preston being biggies, Knoyle an unknown. Plus the midfield is in obvious need of repair when the loans go back. Could buy Banks, he's been pretty inconsistent though.
Plus Richards (and Taylor) are getting on.
Plus see JSW for Conroy and Preston injuries..
Plus 'the uncommitted'
Plus...

Could be anywhere from 5 to 10 new players at this rate! Should know soon enough.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 11:08:26 »

If someone came in and cleared out every single player, I wouldn't give much of a shit. There's not one player I'd shed a tear over. It wouldn't be like when Calderwood or McHale went, for example.
Waddock would be a typical Power appointment, grateful for the job and cheap. Brown would be an atypical appointment.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 11:34:19 »

Yes Batch and Chalkies, I agree with both those comments pretty much totally.

We are not THAT far from a play off or even better team but also if all the players left I wouldn't really care that much.

I just hope, and I personally don't think, that it is sorted sooner rather than later so we can shift on the many "dead wood" players and get in some that will work.

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 11:35:00 »

If someone came in and cleared out every single player, I wouldn't give much of a shit. There's not one player I'd shed a tear over. It wouldn't be like when Calderwood or McHale went, for example.
Waddock would be a typical Power appointment, grateful for the job and cheap. Brown would be an atypical appointment.

50% of managers appointed by power wouldn’t fit that definition of a typical power appointment

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 11:49:18 »

I just hope, and I personally don't think, that it is sorted sooner rather than later so we can shift on the many "dead wood" players and get in some that will work.

Agreed!

Powers previous MO is lastminute.com . Surely with the transfer window closing earlier he'll act quickly this time.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 11:54:06 »

It may be fair to say that Flitters' players aren't Brown players.... but seeing as how a fair number are contracted for next season and maybe difficult to move on, if he can't work with them and improve them then it's a recipe for trouble.  Much better to to get in someone like a Waddock who is probably a bit more pragmatic.
But if Brown can't motivate them what makes you think Waddock could ?. A good clear out is needed but once again we seem to be stuck with players drawing good wages who either don't want to play for this club or simply aren't good enough.  If we were paying performance related wages, based on this season,  most players would end up paying the club.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 12:00:38 »

For whatever reason we seem to have had a problem with unmotivated players for a bloody long time...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 12:07:58 »

I am going to say any rumours linking us with Waddock are bullshit fabrications of somebodys over active imagination and totally made up.

Yes Power may be impressed with some managers "portfolios" who have applied in the past, as GW is said to have, but as Horlock says he has only ever done it when managing Aldershot.

If PB is interested in the job and Power knows what he can do then surely thats a far better option than getting in someone who has been a serial underachiever throughout his managerial career when he has managed higher than Conference (and lower L2) level.

His record at QPR, Wycombe and Poxfraud was pretty awful, including several (4 I think) relegations and only 2 promotions.

If Power was going to appoint from a league lower then I feel he would go with somebody who has not managed at league level such as Luke Garrard and not someone who has managed in the league and failed numerous times.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: