Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: It could be worse .....  (Read 4443 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 21:31:50 »

We could be...

a) Sunderland
b) Brad Barry, about to experience his second successive relegation in his ongoing journey to the Beezer Homes League
c) Nope, sorry, I've got nothing else
Sir red ken

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 21:44:41 »

We could be...

a) Sunderland
b) Brad Barry, about to experience his second successive relegation in his ongoing journey to the Beezer Homes League
(a) Sunderland may be shite but are still a div above us and have enjoyed several seasons in the top flight.
(b) Brad Barry could be back here next season as one of our unpolished non league gems, to be turned around and sold on for a profit.(when I say profit I mean Feck all)
(c) We avoided back to back relegations, but LP will give it another try 2018/19.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 21:59:47 »

Stockport and Torquay used to be at a similar level to us.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 23:19:34 »

We could be...

a) Sunderland

I mentioned on the MDT...we could be Torquay (Tur-kee if your name is PDC), now relegated to the National League South or 6th tier. Nice to see Macclesfield back in the league though.

Promotion/Demotion: A Story
====================

So off skulk Spireites after 97 years,
With the boys from Haircut shedding many a tears.
Those Shrimpers could gatecrash a lonely demise
But we sure would miss their simply, tasty pies.

As Rampant Stanley and Hatters march the other way,
Wycombe, Grecians or Magpies can claim on the final day?
One for sorrow and two for joy,
Notts County would love to overturn those Chairboys.

It's hello to Men of Silk and goodbye to Men of Milk,
Will the Super White Army return with a similar ilk?
The Shakers receive a wooden spoon, the most deserving of prizes,
And in their rightful place return Concrete Franchises.

To ask if they'll be joined by Rochdale and Cobblers,
How about Pine Villa or even the Saddlers?
One club will fail on the final date,
And experience demotion, it's never too late.

So onto next season with an almost clean slate,
Would Phil Brown find it too much on his plate?
In a strange twist of kismet, Flitcroft could well oversee,
His former clubs pitfalls of a distinctly average three.

By BNS Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 01:18:20 »

When we won Div 4 under PdC, Torquay had 4 players in the PFA team of the year we had 2. At Plainmoor, OST walked out on the pitch, to receive a chant from the Town faithful, as he did today. Torquay are owned by a Swindon based company, that company are trying to get hold of Plainmoor for development, Torbay has a Tory council. That company has also managed to get hold of the Abbey Stadium. Swindon has a Tory council.

At least we're not Brechin City... never quite worked out why Brechin is a city  Hmmm
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 06:57:28 »

I do get these ‘there are others worse off than us’ sentiments, but tbh, I don’t give a fuck about anyone else. Supporting STFC these past couple of years has been a complete ball ache. I’ve probably been to 8 home games and a couple away this season. I’m just about hanging on in there.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 07:10:27 »

The events at Torquay and Chesterfield (and Tranmere and Oxford and Bristol Rovers and Stockport) act as a timely reminder of what could easily happen to Swindon in the future.

That said.

As I left Wembley in 2012, a few Chesterfield fans made it their duty to approach me and let me know that Swindon will go down in 2013.

I thought about those guys yesterday.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 08:04:36 »

The events at Torquay and Chesterfield (and Tranmere and Oxford and Bristol Rovers and Stockport) act as a timely reminder of what could easily happen to Swindon in the future.

That said.

As I left Wembley in 2012, a few Chesterfield fans made it their duty to approach me and let me know that Swindon will go down in 2013.

I thought about those guys yesterday.
As I posted in another thread, lost lots of sympathy towards Chesterfield after the Wembley game.

I am sure they will return and I guess we should be thankful we didn't get relegated too #RegMode

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 08:13:44 »

I do get these ‘there are others worse off than us’ sentiments, but tbh, I don’t give a fuck about anyone else. Supporting STFC these past couple of years has been a complete ball ache. I’ve probably been to 8 home games and a couple away this season. I’m just about hanging on in there.

As I have mentioned before, we, that’s the three of us gave up our ST at the end of the PNE capitulation season. In fact due to the the eye watering expense of going to the Mecca of English football we spent that weekend down in W. Dorset with family and spent the £200 it would have cost us there. It is worth saying that the reason for the ST demise is mainly due to my sons involvement in local football. We couldn’t justify the time. He trains Sat AM, SN1 in the afternoon then he plays Sunday morning, in effect wiping out our weekend, we also went to away games now and then.

In the last three years I have been more this season than the previous two. That equates to five home games and one away. The dross served up in the last three years as far as i’m concerned, by default vindicates that decision. That said the buck lies squarely at the door of Powers office, he and he alone is responsible for the current situation.

Please spare me the platitudes about saving the club etc, etc as he says regularly he’s a businessman and he is here to make as much money as he can for the minimum he can get away with spending. You see after three seasons of going backwards has a resonance to you or I blagging a new job with promises of a bright new future for ourselves and the employer. Except that it has not materialised has it. We’d be up in front of HR on a final warning for the type of results he has dished up wouldn’t we?

I sympathise with all of you who have stuck with it since we took a step back. Don’t get me wrong, we’ll be back in force sometime in the future and till then will pick and choose when we go, which in all honesty will be dependant on results.

Watching the town over the last three years (all be it from afar) has been like watching your sick dog clinging on to life, some days there is hope because it’s eating, other days the dog won’t get out the basket and the vet is milking you dry and yet nothing changes.

Big club, little club, doesn’t matter neither does to big to go down etc, we should not be in the fourth division but we are because results don’t lie, we are where we are because of decisions made by the owner.

So Mr. Power, what do you feel should be the SMART objectives in your PIP?
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 08:16:52 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Sir red ken

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 08:43:56 »

They will be again the way the town are playing at the moment.
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 08:49:57 »

However shit we are (and we are) I’m enjoying the karma of Sunderland and Chesterfield getting their cumuppence after our experiences with them in the past (to be fair the Sunderland fans at Wembley on the day were fine) just the way they stole our rightful spot thanks to those bastards at the FA.

Shit goes around eh?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 09:37:49 »

That and the £110m they are in debt.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 10:12:25 »

They will be again the way the town are playing at the moment.

I don't think it's inevitable that we'll be heading towards non league next season, but because of Power's commitment to self sustainability, the question needs to be asked.... what level of football can we sustain? 

We should finish about 10th or 11th this season which still leaves about a dozen clubs between us and the trapdoor, so you'd like to think that we could keep that little safety net.
Sir red ken

« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 10:27:11 »

I don't think it's inevitable that we'll be heading towards non league next season, but because of Power's commitment to self sustainability, the question needs to be asked.... what level of football can we sustain? 

We should finish about 10th or 11th this season which still leaves about a dozen clubs between us and the trapdoor, so you'd like to think that we could keep that little safety net.
banking on other teams being more sh1te than you next season is no way of sustaining a league club. Last season we had a poor team but this lot are even worse and that sums up LP's term in charge every team is worse than the last, each manger has a lower expectaion by which to gauge success. Each team of castoffs and missfits keeps pulling us further down. I'm relieved we are safe this year but unless there's a Lou or PDC type revolution we're forked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: