Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby matchday thread  (Read 31405 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #180 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 10:40:21 »

I see this on FB all the time and don't get it.  Clubs are rarely put up for sale, except in the odd case like Newcastle etc.  Clubs are always up for sale, it just needs the willingness of anyone to enquire and negotiate a price that they would be willing to pay.

The fact is, there is not a queue of people doing that, and Power will want an unreasonable amount to sell the club, we all know that (unless he has had enough which we don't know).

The numerous shouts for "Power out" are a conversational non-starter as unless there is somebody ready to come in an pay the asking price, it's never going to happen until a buyer comes out of the woodwork.  Power will not just walk away without a pay out that is for sure.

He will want ownership of the ground at least before he considers it.
and I think that sums up the utter hopelesness a lot of Town fans feel. After 2 seasons of utter dross and no signs of anything getting better then why not do something else on a Saturday - some of the players have already.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 10:42:43 »

To that Bernie I'd say I'm not expecting a 'for sale' page in the Adver.

I'm just saying that if a) Power gives up or b) the club goes close to financially belly up that there may well be some suitors that we just wouldn't know about now.

I don't think anyone actually expects him to give up though do they?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #182 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 10:48:37 »

I see this on FB all the time and don't get it.  Clubs are rarely put up for sale, except in the odd case like Newcastle etc.  Clubs are always up for sale, it just needs the willingness of anyone to enquire and negotiate a price that they would be willing to pay.

The fact is, there is not a queue of people doing that, and Power will want an unreasonable amount to sell the club, we all know that (unless he has had enough which we don't know).

The numerous shouts for "Power out" are a conversational non-starter as unless there is somebody ready to come in an pay the asking price, it's never going to happen until a buyer comes out of the woodwork.  Power will not just walk away without a pay out that is for sure.

He will want ownership of the ground at least before he considers it.
Absolutely exactly as I see it Berni.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 11:14:10 »

If anyone is interested, here is the form table of the league since DF left.

P   +/-   Pts
1   Accrington Stanley   10   +14   28
2   Coventry City           10   +5   20
3   Notts County           10   +6   18
4   Exeter City           10   +4   18
5   Lincoln City           10   +3   18
6   Crewe Alexandra   10   +4   17
7   Luton Town            10   +6   16
8   Wycombe Wanderers   10   0   16
9   Carlisle United           10   +3   15
10   Cambridge United   10   +2   15
11   Barnet                   10   -3   14
12   Forest Green Rovers   10   +1   13
13   Cheltenham Town   10   +4   12
14   Port Vale.               10   0   12
15   Newport County.     10   -1   11
16   Colchester United   10   -3   11
17   Stevenage.             10   -3   10
18   Morecambe           10   -4   9
19   Grimsby Town.        10   -8   9
20   Mansfield Town.     10   -4   8
21   Chesterfield           10   -6   8
22   Yeovil Town            10   -7   8
23   Swindon Town           10   -6   7
24   Crawley Town           10   -7   7
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 11:22:28 »

Also about the same time as Matt Preston going lame, then compounded by Lancashire joining him.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #185 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 11:32:23 »

If anyone is interested, here is the form table of the league since DF left.
TBF 2 of those defeats were before PB took over though.

Flipflop  p10 w1 d5 l4 wr10.0%

P Brown  p8 w1 d4 l3 wr12.5%

I personally think if PB does indeed take over and is allowed to bring in his own men then we will do well next year.

Flipflop took over an "allegedly" better squad and has managed to totally fuck them up.

He left us we were in 6th place we are now 9th.

Mansfield were in 4th place they are now 8th.

I have no problem about him leaving just the timing screwed us over and in the process but luckily he fucked up Mansfields push too! result!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 11:37:03 »

PB's record is very similar to Paul Hart.  PB.  P8 W1 D4 L3.  Hart. P8 W1 D3 L4
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 11:38:20 »

I try and tell myself Paul Hart never happened Reg, so thanks for the reminder.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #188 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 11:38:53 »

Also about the same time as Matt Preston going lame, then compounded by Lancashire joining him.
Prestons last match was ironically vs Mansfield on 10th Feb, since he has been injured we have had a run of LWLLWLDDDDLL.

Prior to his injury our run of form was WWWLWWDLW.

I think losing Preston was the pivotal moment of the season.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 11:43:04 »

Prestons last match was ironically vs Mansfield on 10th Feb, since he has been injured we have had a run of LWLLWLDDDDLL.

Prior to his injury our run of form was WWWLWWDLW.

I think losing Preston was the pivotal moment of the season.

I'd agree with that... it's a shame Power didn't get him signed up for next season.

If the form table is replicated into next season, then we are in trouble.  It doesn't have to work that way, but some things will need to change, and as we have seen from Power's handiwork there are no guarantees.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 23, 2018, 11:49:31 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 12:16:48 »

I think that Flitcroft fcuked things up in January by not getting in the correct signings, no cover at CB or CF was signed up.

The players we have were brought in to play a certain way, very direct I think Brown has realised that and has whereas some have managed to adapt to a different style a lot have struggled and I think Brown has maybe tried to change to much to soon and realised some of the players are just crap old warhorses (or cart horses).

If he is not given the job we start again with a new manager who does not know the players, and we have to wonder how long it will take to appoint a new man and his staff and then for him to decide who he wants to keep and let go and work out the players needed for L2.

We need to start early, get a plan and go with it, but I think as Brown has eluded to if promotion id the aim everyone needs to be on board, including the fans, this season has never really felt like a potential promotion season, it is up to the club from the top down to install that mentality within the club and for that to filter out to the players and fans.

Power has a huge decision to make and this needs dealing with, I'm sure if he does not give it to Brown now or talk to him and let him go on his hols, Brown will not sit by the phone waiting and will probably tell Power to F Off if he goes and sounds out other managers and then goes back to brown as they are not interested.

wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 12:26:56 »

I would have taken 11 competitive budgies over the non-competitive dross we have witnessed this season..
But would we have got them on the cheep?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 12:30:33 »

I think that Flitcroft fcuked things up in January by not getting in the correct signings, no cover at CB or CF was signed up.

The players we have were brought in to play a certain way, very direct I think Brown has realised that and has whereas some have managed to adapt to a different style a lot have struggled and I think Brown has maybe tried to change to much to soon and realised some of the players are just crap old warhorses (or cart horses).

If he is not given the job we start again with a new manager who does not know the players, and we have to wonder how long it will take to appoint a new man and his staff and then for him to decide who he wants to keep and let go and work out the players needed for L2.

We need to start early, get a plan and go with it, but I think as Brown has eluded to if promotion id the aim everyone needs to be on board, including the fans, this season has never really felt like a potential promotion season, it is up to the club from the top down to install that mentality within the club and for that to filter out to the players and fans.

Power has a huge decision to make and this needs dealing with, I'm sure if he does not give it to Brown now or talk to him and let him go on his hols, Brown will not sit by the phone waiting and will probably tell Power to F Off if he goes and sounds out other managers and then goes back to brown as they are not interested.

Flitcroft signed Richards who I believe will finish the season as our second top goalscorer.

Banks looked a good signing, but has flattered to deceive a little, much like his reports from his parent club.

The issue with the January recruitment was more that it did not create the necessary options in positions, it did not create some round pegs to go in round holes.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 12:31:26 »

We signed Menayese (31 Jan) and Richards (15 Jan). Lancashire and then Norris got injured. He also tried to address the midfield creativity issue with Banks. i thought January was a fairly good window.

I wouldn't have brought in a rookie with a couple of league games under his belt in defense, simply because I don't see Lancashire as being up to it. But I'm sure the main plan was for Mayo to be cover, not starter.
Flashheart

« Reply #194 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 12:40:18 »

Brown suggesting he wants the job tells me that there's already been a discussion regarding budget etc.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: