Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby matchday thread  (Read 31412 times)
Sir red ken

« Reply #150 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 10:21:21 »

The recruitment needs to be underway now. In as much as the next encumbrance ought to have a march on who he wants to keep, who can go and who he needs to get in. Now realistically only PB is in that position from a managerial point of view. Anyone else in contention from with the club should it not be PB will be behind the loop. Externally well way off the mark until they are appointed.
We are chewing up managers at quite a rate without any sign of stopping the rot. Yes LP should have his list of names and as soon as the seasons over the new boss should be appointed, with immediate recruitment of the playing staff. Its just not going to happen with LP incharge. Lets all wake up and smell the coffee, LP's record of STFC is one of cheap fix and decline. He's taking us the same way as he did Cambridge, this is a poor division in which we've struggled to show any kind of form. without that run of six or seven wins we'd be nearer the foot of this league and at this rate we'll be mid table come the end of the season. Finally  if your a good div2 player or from divisions above looking for a loan would you sign for the town?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 10:28:15 »

Finally  if your a good div2 player

It's L2, (League 2) or in old money Div 4.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 10:57:15 »

Sat in the pub after the game, me being the only one out of the thirty or so people who had attended that shambles, and it struck me that I now have very little affinity to the players compared to only a few years ago.

Yes, I encourage/moan/groan in equal measure because it is my team, but if the whole senior squad were to go at the season's end would I be that worried? the answer is no. Whoever the next manager is will need far more than ending up with journeymen pro's who do just enough but no more so to stay in the profession.

To my way of thinking he will definitely need a requirement to attract players with more ability/determination/will to win than trying to change the mindset of the ones already here. Like to be proved wrong but cannot see it at the moment.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 11:22:50 »

Sat in the pub after the game, me being the only one out of the thirty or so people who had attended that shambles, and it struck me that I now have very little affinity to the players compared to only a few years ago.

Yes, I encourage/moan/groan in equal measure because it is my team, but if the whole senior squad were to go at the season's end would I be that worried? the answer is no. Whoever the next manager is will need far more than ending up with journeymen pro's who do just enough but no more so to stay in the profession.

To my way of thinking he will definitely need a requirement to attract players with more ability/determination/will to win than trying to change the mindset of the ones already here. Like to be proved wrong but cannot see it at the moment.

Last season: we need experience. Kids won’t win anything.
This season: we need youth and determination. Journeymen don’t want it enough.
Reality: you can be a shit youngster, or a shit journeyman, or a shit manager. There’s also good journeymen, good kids and good managers. We just need more of the latter.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 11:44:53 »

Surely most people think this year it's a lack of quality in key areas that's cost us?

I've not seen many question commitment, well Brown yesterday I suppose, but other than that.

They look like they give a fuck, which is why I've enjoyed this year more than last. Highly frustrated we aren't good enough, but satisfied with the effort.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 11:54:19 »

Do you think we will get a Hodgetts\Power love-in on the radio at the end of the season?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 12:08:05 »

Do you think we will get a Hodgetts\Power love-in on the radio at the end of the season?

The way the club have been recently it'll be Joe Romanski standing-in for Power.

Too Cool

I'll save you all 50 minutes of Power Hour.

Power to say the same stuff about saving the club
It hurts him
Flitcroft disappointed Power
He's a football and/or business man
Training ground is ongoing
Can't talk about the purchase of the County Ground
Something Australian is discussed
PASHUN
One caller will complain about the pies
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
One caller will want Sol Campbell or Craig Bellamy
Another will want Glenn Hoddle
Another will want to sign Timi Elsnik
One caller takes on Power
This caller somehow shocks Power as this opinion doesn't reflect the masses
Hodgett's reads a jovial text to lighten the mood
Man from Marlborough thanks 'Mr. Power' for his continued effort
Phone-in ends
Suddenly you're listening to the first few seconds of 'China in Your Hand' by T'Pau
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 17:52:34 by Costanza » Logged
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 12:16:33 »

Willing to bet he is on holiday for the last game!
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 14:55:09 »

The way the club have been recently it'll be Joe Romanski standing-in for Power.

Too Cool

It hurts him
Something Australian is dicussed
PASHUN
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Man of Malborough thanks 'Mr. Power' for his continued effort
Phone-in ends
Suddenly you're listening to the first few seconds of 'China in Your Hand' by T'Pau
Very true and pmsl!!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 15:16:39 »

thanks Costanza, you've given me an hour of my life back.

I'm going to use it wisely, maybe rearrange my CDs in alphabetical order
woolster

« Reply #160 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 15:34:46 »

thanks Costanza, you've given me an hour of my life back.

I'm going to use it wisely, maybe rearrange my CDs in alphabetical order
or maybe spend that hour giving  that films remake thing with twat Lemon and paddy program a go  again Wink Soapy Tit Wank
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 19:48:29 »

Too Cool

It hurts him
PASHUN
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Phone-in ends

You missed 90 minutes from championship!

Clems Army!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 22:01:15 »

Haven’t read back through the thread, but has anyone mentioned the irony that the crowd yesterday was bigger than the crowd we had against Grimsby in our promotion season to the Premier league.

I guess that was Power’s fault too Wink
johnritsons toupe

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 23:17:52 »

Too Cool

It hurts him
PASHUN
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Phone-in ends

I haven't looked in on you guys for a while, but I'm glad I did tonight. That's a brilliant post, Constanza. Absolute classic.

Powers time in SN1 is up I'm afraid.

His experiment with polishing up promising players from Premier clubs failed dismally despite looking quite promising at the start. His failure to recognise (or react to) his fundamental mistake in appointing (on a fucking 5-year contract with a ringing endorsement about him being the best coach he's ever worked with) and then sticking with Williams, put paid to it as we were relegated in some style.

I kind of admire him for shutting the fuck up (mostly) this season after appointing Titcroft, but despite a fairly promising start, that appointment ultimately failed. More worryingly for us, there doesn't appear to have been much of a personal relationship between manager and Chairman, which is presumably why Titcroft upped sticks as soon as he had another opportunity.

Brown was another roll of the dice which may have worked, but it didn't. If he now appoints Brown full time ( we could do a lot worse to be honest), he's taking a massive gamble because the current squad reacted to his arrival in much the same way that they reacted to Matt Taylor getting the nod early on; complete indifference. Many of them will be here next season and will form the backbone of the squad, so any new players coming in will have to be the ones to make a massive difference, which is a big ask in a relatively small squad.

Also, Power has been flushed out by the trust this season and it's now obvious to everyone that he's here for the money that's involved in a stadium redevelopment, as well as what must now be a diminishing / tiny profit by 'running the business within its means'.

Next season he'll probably be chucking a couple of hundred thousand in due to plummeting season ticket sales (I hear the renewal numbers are terrifying the staff, let alone Power) which won't sit comfortably.

Many supporters have been OK with him previously admitting to being here to make money. That sticks in my throat personally, but everyone is entitled to be a fucking idiot  Cheesy

However, and this is important, if our results had been as awful in the first half of the season as they've been in the 2nd half, we'd be right down there fighting with the likes of Chesterfield by now. If that's not enough to scare the shit out of even the most stubborn of Power sympathisers, I'm not sure what else will do the job.

How ironic was it that the lads of 25 years ago who were rightly so well applauded prior to KO yesterday, had to sit and watch that pile of gutless shite yesterday.

I'd love to know what they really thought about the performance of the team as a whole, and about the individuals as well.

I'm guessing that a few heads were shaking and a few more were laughing their cocks off!

The games up Power.

Fuck off.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 08:58:20 »

Power will probably stall to see the outcome of the May locals, should SBC change hands to maybe no overall control but a Lib/ Lab pact, then can't see a ground sale to the Lee Power fronted developers.

However, if the Tories continue, then he will need to have a league club in the ground for appearances sake, so I'd expect us to be put on life support. A Cheltnum sized budget should be enough to ensure a comfortable mid table placing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: