Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby matchday thread  (Read 31413 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 19:02:09 »

Only if your expectations were way too high and have drama queen tendencies

No.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 19:05:14 »

I expected us to go out of the league(genuinely) but as someone said, getting into the top 6 raised those expectations mid season.
As for Brown/Flitcroft I know our run since the changeover has been the worst of the season but(I may be wrong as I've not checked)  I think Flitcrofts points tally since his departure is almost identical to Browns and Flitcroft has obviously a better bunch of players to work with.
So really overall in my opinion the season was not shit to start with but was shit to end with i.e average

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 19:05:42 »

Quote from: Batch link=topic=57381.msg1456069#msg1456069 date=15243
Take today, I thought Grimsby looked better organised than we did.
[/quote
To be fair I think most teams have looked better organised than us!!  A sad indictment on two experienced managers.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #138 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 19:18:21 »

I think a sign of how far we've fallen is that there is no outrage over a performance like that. Grimsby were probably the worst team down here this season. We were total tripe and in the second half played like it was a pre season friendly. We have absolutely zero invention. If a team can keep their shape all we've got is set pieces.
How Chris Hussey got mom is beyond me. He was shite and his crossing even worse. Linganzi was mom for me - mostly for his first half performance.
Romanski looked ok. For the last 2 games we've got to put the youngsters in. Don't play the loan players and drop useless lazy fuckers like Anderson.
We really are fucking crap.
I think Power has seriously got to look at next season otherwise I can see us playing to some very small crowds. Two years of absolute total fucking toss.
The fact that a few of us are just glad we didn't get relegated again is another sign of just how far we've fallen.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #139 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 19:19:22 »

Oh and fair play to the Grimsby fans. Given their away record that was good support from them - 600?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 19:30:57 »

How Chris Hussey got mom is beyond me.

Decided by match day sponsors. When a mate took along a party of bankers a few seasons back, he told me who it would be before the match. These were fellas there for the beer, with no idea of player's names and no great interest in the game.

« Last Edit: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 19:33:20 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 19:48:24 »

Because something is bog average doesn't make it shit... consider a couple of things that involve Grimsby.  Earlier in the season we lost there and then at home to Newport.... Grimsby were then 3 points off us, just outside the PO's. Since then a terrible run, seriously threatening their league status, only recently recovered.  They're still not out of it.  I would say that qualifies their season as being shit, we managed to avoid that. Had we gone on a similar run to the Mariners, the yes, shit.

Similarly the only time Grimsby have doubled us was 99/00 a season when we went bottom early doors and stayed there, ending with a GD of -39.  Any player worth a bean was sold and Jimmy Quinnn at 40 had to play.  The groundsman's mower was sold.  That was a shit season.

I guess the fact that Grimsby bought a few today helped push te gate up over 6000, meaning not the lowest at the CG v Grimsby, and quite ironic that, wheeling out the old boys, today's crowd bigger then when we played them in 92/93.

We were quite good but not good enough, this recent run of shit results have found us out.

We avoided the drop, that and Taylor's goal at Wycombe the only highlights.

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 20:40:42 »

We were quite good but not good enough, this recent run of shit results have found us out.

We avoided the drop, that and Taylor's goal at Wycombe the only highlights.

The away form from the start of the season, a bit of a highlight there aren't too many more seasons where we've won more, further I think there's only been one game Notts C, where we haven't scored at least one, to get Wobbly Bob, wobbling away.  The home form a different kettle of fish, but Flitters had managed 5 wins in a row before jumping, from the start of 2018 to suggest an upturn, the comeback v Crewe was fun.

Beating FGR twice was something, I'd imagine they'll be spending in the summer, unless Vince has got bored, so may have to accept it might not happen again.

Taylor's all round perfromance has also been enjoyable, many wrote him off straight away, but not only does he still have the quality his attitude and professionalism are first class, just the sort of thing you want to set a standard for the younger lads.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #143 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 20:56:38 »

and one other thing, their cunt who scored the penalty deserved a fucking kicking. There was no need for his reaction when scoring. If ever there was a case for a player getting a slap, this was it. 
woolster

« Reply #144 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 21:26:52 »

and one other thing, their cunt who scored the penalty deserved a fucking kicking. There was no need for his reaction when scoring. If ever there was a case for a player getting a slap, this was it. 
just seen that on football on 5, should have also been booked, after his kicking Yes
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 22:00:15 »

just seen that on football on 5, should have also been booked, after his kicking Yes

He was booked
Sadly didn't get a kicking
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #146 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 08:27:22 »

I think a sign of how far we've fallen is that there is no outrage over a performance like that. Grimsby were probably the worst team down here this season. We were total tripe and in the second half played like it was a pre season friendly. We have absolutely zero invention. If a team can keep their shape all we've got is set pieces.
How Chris Hussey got mom is beyond me. He was shite and his crossing even worse. Linganzi was mom for me - mostly for his first half performance.
Romanski looked ok. For the last 2 games we've got to put the youngsters in. Don't play the loan players and drop useless lazy fuckers like Anderson.
We really are fucking crap.
I think Power has seriously got to look at next season otherwise I can see us playing to some very small crowds. Two years of absolute total fucking toss.
The fact that a few of us are just glad we didn't get relegated again is another sign of just how far we've fallen.
Not sure Grimsby were THE worst side at the CG this season but they were bottom 4 or 5 for me, they were rubbish and created nothing and never threatened our makeshift defence really.

Hussey was awful, his crossing was some of the worst I have ever seen, defensively he was better but attacking was terrible.

Romanski didn't have much to do but grew into the game and looked fine, no worse that Robertson when hes at his best.

Anderson runs and dribbles well but falls when there is a slight puff of wind and his final ball is 99% of the time rubbish, like his new haircut.

A few big weeks coming up for the club, its up to Power to either appoint PB or tell him hes not wanted, I like PB and think he will turn us around with his own players but if he leaves I am not overly bothered either, but whichever way we turn we need a new man in before the end of May so he can get the squad sorted out well before pre season starts.

And finally.....

A couple of quotes from the Grims forum

2 best performances of the season have been against Swindon.

Great effort from the players and a really well organised away performance.

Watched the penalty again and I am not convinced that it was a foul. Appeared Cardwell tripped over his own legs BUT it is about time we got a stroke of fortune.

All Swindon I spoke to said we Deserved it

If that was one of their best performances I thought WE had it bad!

Definately never a penalty the man cheated a goal, if they scored a legal goal then I would not have a problem with them winning even though I don't think they deserved it at all, they were if anything worse than we were.

That was up there with the poorest performances team wise all season.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 08:42:29 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sir red ken

« Reply #147 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 08:42:18 »

Not sure Grimsby were THE worst side at the CG this season but they were bottom 4 or 5 for me, they were rubbish and created nothing and never threatened our makeshift defence really.

Hussey was awful, his crossing was some of the worst I have ever seen, defensively he was better but attacking was terrible.

Romanski didn't have much to do but grew into the game and looked fine, no worse that Robertson when hes at his best.

Anderson runs and dribbles well but falls when there is a slight puff of wind and his final ball is 99% of the time rubbish, like his new haircut.

A few big weeks coming up for the club, its up to Power to either appoint PB or tell him hes not wanted, I like PB and think he will turn us around with his own players but if he leaves I am not overly bothered either, but whichever way we turn we need a new man in before the end of May so he can get the squad sorted out well before pre season starts.

Whilst your correct with your assement of how we should progress with our management, its very unlikely,   
because the new manager and signings would have to be paid during the close season. We're more likely to see the cash saving, a week before the season starts appointment, with a few more feebies and a couple of past their sellby date old cloggers. PB is a good manager and even he can polish the turd that is our current team, which has some of the worst form in DIV2. You have to give it to LP he knows how to put out a team that is downwardly mobile year on year.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #148 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 08:44:15 »

Whilst your correct with your assement of how we should progress with our management, its very unlikely,  
because the new manager and signings would have to be paid during the close season. We're more likely to see the cash saving, a week before the season starts appointment, with a few more feebies and a couple of past their sellby date old cloggers. PB is a good manager and even he can polish the turd that is our current team, which has some of the worst form in DIV2. You have to give it to LP he knows how to put out a team that is downwardly mobile year on year.

Oh I can see what you are saying and that LP will do his utmost to save the salary of a manager and his assistant if he can, I am hoping LP can see that a new manager is needed ASAP.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 08:46:06 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 09:03:04 »

Oh I can see what you are saying and that LP will do his utmost to save the salary of a manager and his assistant if he can, I am hoping LP can see that a new manager is needed ASAP.

The recruitment needs to be underway now. In as much as the next incumbent ought to have a march on who he wants to keep, who can go and who he needs to get in. Now realistically only PB is in that position from a managerial point of view. Anyone else in contention from within the club should it not be PB will be behind the loop. Externally, well way off the mark until they are appointed.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 12:23:31 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: