Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby matchday thread  (Read 31419 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 17:19:58 »

Quote from: Quagmire
Should we/Power want him though?
Got to be the worst run point wise we’ve been on this season (I’m sure will be corrected)

I have no idea. So many variables, power and his chequebook being the biggest.

I've not been impressed by the end of the season, but it was going downhill under Flitcroft so maybe nobody would have got us in the playoffs.

I expected more though.

Take today, I thought Grimsby looked better organised than we did.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 17:25:26 »

And according to Reg it's not been a shit one! 😉

I beg to differ....

Because something is bog average doesn't make it shit... consider a couple of things that involve Grimsby.  Earlier in the season we lost there and then at home to Newport.... Grimsby were then 3 points off us, just outside the PO's. Since then a terrible run, seriously threatening their league status, only recently recovered.  They're still not out of it.  I would say that qualifies their season as being shit, we managed to avoid that. Had we gone on a similar run to the Mariners, the yes, shit.

Similarly the only time Grimsby have doubled us was 99/00 a season when we went bottom early doors and stayed there, ending with a GD of -39.  Any player worth a bean was sold and Jimmy Quinnn at 40 had to play.  The groundsman's mower was sold.  That was a shit season.

I guess the fact that Grimsby bought a few today helped push te gate up over 6000, meaning not the lowest at the CG v Grimsby, and quite ironic that, wheeling out the old boys, today's crowd bigger then when we played them in 92/93.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 17:34:00 »

Whether a season is shit or not is all relative to the expectations you had at the start.

For someone expecting a mid table finish it’s looking like a bang average season. To those who were expecting a play off push, it’s been shit...

Now, how realistic each persons expectations are/were is of course up for debate but not whether an individual thinks a season has been shit or not...

Me, personally, expected better but we are a nothing club with no ambition too to bottom which a fan base who have for the most part accepted the ‘just happy to have a club’ mantra.
Until the whole ethos of the club changes (and it won’t) we are here to make up the numbers and expect mid table nothing seasons like this one to become the norm.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 17:37:20 »

I have no idea. So many variables, power and his chequebook being the biggest.

I've not been impressed by the end of the season, but it was going downhill under Flitcroft so maybe nobody would have got us in the playoffs.

I expected more though.

Take today, I thought Grimsby looked better organised than we did.

I doubt PB, could do anything with a Power size budget... it takes a certain type of operator.

You only have to see Sarfend's spend on agents.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 17:38:09 »

Because something is bog average doesn't make it shit...
Yes it does. If you think something is shit, then it is. I think this season has been utter shit, therefore it has been.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 17:40:01 »

I hear what you are saying DV but I think getting up into a playoff spot raised expectations.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 17:45:29 »

Whether a season is shit or not is all relative to the expectations you had at the start.

For someone expecting a mid table finish it’s looking like a bang average season. To those who were expecting a play off push, it’s been shit...

Now, how realistic each persons expectations are/were is of course up for debate but not whether an individual thinks a season has been shit or not...

Me, personally, expected better but we are a nothing club with no ambition too to bottom which a fan base who have for the most part accepted the ‘just happy to have a club’ mantra.
Until the whole ethos of the club changes (and it won’t) we are here to make up the numbers and expect mid table nothing seasons like this one to become the norm.

But if you expected PO's, we've been there or thereabouts most of the season. In football there are no guarantees, and we've come up a bit short. In an average season, it's what happens, you get some good wins and some bad loses.

There's nothing wrong with just being happy to have a club.... for those that still go, you'd be a bit bonkers to think anything else.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 17:49:46 »

Whichever way you look at it, recruitment has been the problem.

I think it’s strange that certain players commitment has been questioned and, guessing, these players are the older, experienced lower league journeymen Flitcroft brought in. Now, you can question the skill level of these players, but commitment should be the one thing we were certain to get - unfortunately not.

Something stinks, generally, with this squad - bad apples? The young players, Woolery and Anderson, don’t seem to have much about them.

Maybe Flitcroft’s management style of bullying, scapegoating and marginalising has led to this. He had previous at Bury for the same approach. Vigs certainly seems to have borne the brunt of it.

Whatever, yet another big rebuild is needed.
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 17:52:02 »

Totally unacceptable end to the season. The rest of it was pretty unacceptable too, saying that. Awful football, awful players and awful managers.  Brown is not the man to take Town forward. Power needs to appoint a recently-retired player or an up-and-coming manager and back him in the transfer market.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 17:59:40 »

Whichever way you look at it, recruitment has been the problem.

I think it’s strange that certain players commitment has been questioned and, guessing, these players are the older, experienced lower league journeymen Flitcroft brought in. Now, you can question the skill level of these players, but commitment should be the one thing we were certain to get - unfortunately not.

Something stinks, generally, with this squad - bad apples? The young players, Woolery and Anderson, don’t seem to have much about them.

Maybe Flitcroft’s management style of bullying, scapegoating and marginalising has led to this. He had previous at Bury for the same approach. Vigs certainly seems to have borne the brunt of it.

Whatever, yet another big rebuild is needed.

Clearly recruitment hasn't been a problem... we recruited a type of player suitable for Div 4, and that's broadly what we've got, most of them have a some point looked good enough for Div 4.   Recruitment was a problem last couple of seasons where players were acquired who weren't suitable for Div 3.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 18:11:38 »

it has.

we recruited a load of castoffs. And now we know why they were cast off.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 18:13:52 »

Div 4 players won’t get you out of Div 4 by definition. Even at our level you expect some level of competence - clearly lacking in the journeymen brought in by Flitcroft.

We got 2 half decent midfielders in on loan who look like they’ve downed tools and we’re back to playing Dunne and Linganzi who will create the square root of jack shit.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 18:21:29 »

But if you expected PO's, we've been there or thereabouts most of the season. In football there are no guarantees, and we've come up a bit short. In an average season, it's what happens, you get some good wins and some bad loses.

There's nothing wrong with just being happy to have a club.... for those that still go, you'd be a bit bonkers to think anything else.

If you expected the play offs and we don’t make the play offs (...and we won’t) then by definition it’s a shit season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 18:32:20 »

Div 4 players won’t get you out of Div 4 by definition. Even at our level you expect some level of competence - clearly lacking in the journeymen brought in by Flitcroft.

We got 2 half decent midfielders in on loan who look like they’ve downed tools and we’re back to playing Dunne and Linganzi who will create the square root of jack shit.

More or less all the sides in Div 4 have journeymen types.... therefore it is possible to get out of the league with this type of player performing well, over the course of a season.

To get quality in Div 4 is rare... look at this side PFA Div 4 pick from last season.

Goalkeeper: David Forde (Portsmouth)

Right-back: Kelvin Mellor (Blackpool)

Centre-back: Christian Burgess (Portsmouth)

Centre-back: Sonny Bradley (Plymouth Argyle)

Left-back: Enda Stevens (Portsmouth)

Midfield: Brad Potts (Blackpool)

Midfield: James Coppinger (Doncaster Rovers)

Midfield: Graham Carey (Plymouth Argyle)

Forward: John Marquis (Doncaster Rovers)

Forward: Matthew Godden (Stevenage)

Forward: Ollie Watkins (Exeter City)

Manager: Darren Ferguson (Doncaster Rovers)

How many of them have been tearing up trees in Div 3  or even like Godden Div 4  Hmmm

Prob the only one whose shown quality is Ollie Watkins, but Brentford had to spend near on 2 mill for that.

REDBUCK

« Reply #134 on: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 18:36:25 »

If you expected the play offs and we don’t make the play offs (...and we won’t) then by definition it’s a shit season.

Only if your expectations were way too high and have drama queen tendencies
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: