Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 8875 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 09:08:17 »

Ling was not an internal appointment.

Nor Flitcroft
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 09:16:49 »

What do the Town fans want? They didn't like the football under Cooper / Williams... They didn't like it under Flitcroft... So who knows. I guess all we want is a manager who wins all the time!
I think you answered your own question, Swindon fans don't really like football.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 09:33:10 »

Nor Flitcroft

Nor Brown.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 09:35:13 »

Problem is every appointment is a risk. What do the Town fans want? They didn't like the football under Cooper / Williams... They didn't like it under Flitcroft... So who knows. I guess all we want is a manager who wins all the time!
and Di Canio did that and wasn't liked by some. Macari did it and a lot didn't like his direct football including good old Norman John Trollope. 
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 09:46:44 »

Damnit, forgot Williams was coach and alleged thorn in Coopers side before he became manager. Brain blocking it out...

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 09:51:20 »

Have to think short term now. If the managers shit he'll get sacked, if he's any good he'll more than likely fuck off... So someone that can get us up, for me, would be more ideal.
<snip>

Same as it ever was really.

Anyone who gets us up is all we want for next season, and worry about the season after if it happens! But its not obvious who that someone is.

To be honest, the prospect of squad building over more than 1-2 seasons seem somewhat over. It seems normal that players and managers come and go, and with the loan market propping up the squad its all so hit and miss these days. In general anyway.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 09:57:33 »

Some team will take a punt on Garrard at some point, it’s inevitable, i’d prefer if it was us.

Nothing to do with him being an ex players of ours, purely because he done a very good job in the conference
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 10:06:02 »

John Gregory has just won a title in India.  He'd be my choice.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 10:11:07 »

Problem is every appointment is a risk. What do the Town fans want? They didn't like the football under Cooper / Williams... They didn't like it under Flitcroft... So who knows. I guess all we want is a manager who wins all the time!

The risk for us, is looking at Chesterfield, and what can happen when you get it wrong.  As I've said before, in recent years there's been a bit of an umbilical cord between us.  Beat us in JPT, in PO's with us last time and came down with us last year.

It looks like their woes spring from the owner bailing out, Black style in Nov 2016.  This fella not popular at former club Sheff Wed, due to treatment  of Surrock and JPM, had overseen the new ground, and associated community facilities.

Their recentish gaffer sequence was Paul Cook who has shown to be a decent operator, then a mistake Dean Saunders, who whilst a thoroughly nice bloke, isn't much cop as a boss.  Next our old mate Danny Wilson, who we know can go either way, and in this case the wrong way... then the real disaster Gary Caldwell. 

Rewind the spool, and he'd be the sort of thing who'd look a good fit for us.  Played at a decent level, international, a no nonsense Sweatie who'd got Wigan out of Div 3... remember how his side trampled all over Luke's lot. OK the Championship proved a step too far but it's a big step for most these days apart from Millwall  Sad

Then the classic mistake, compound it with a popular ex player with little experience. Lester.   Spireites have a trip to Exeter tonight, I hope they win, but fear for them.

What we need is some stability...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 10:57:12 »

Some team will take a punt on Garrard at some point, it’s inevitable, i’d prefer if it was us.

Nothing to do with him being an ex players of ours, purely because he done a very good job in the conference
Rather than just going by positions in the National League, he has managed them to an 11th finish and now sit in 4th place, I would prefer to know his style of management rather than going on purely positions.

I heard that Lincoln played good football under Danny Cowley and they ran away with the National League championship last season and doing well this term.

But watching them is dull as dishwater, they kick opponents, the dive and fall about, they are dirty and their only form of attack is hoofing the ball into the opponents box hoping for one of their 7 6 foot 2+ players to head the ball goalwards. They rely entirely upon corners, throw ins and free kickc for goals and the football on show is really poor.

Yes it gets results but so did Fliflop with a much better style(albeit infrequently), at least under Flipflop we passed the ball at times before we hoofed it into the box.

I think style of play has a lot to do with keeping fans happy, not too many fans would be happy if we won the league playing that way ala John Beck in the 90s with Cambridge, they won a lot of matches but even their own fans were fed up with that style of play, chanting "we want football" when Swindon went there under Hoddle and played them off the park.

I would prefer to do some due dilligence with the next manager and not just pick a manager who gets results at the expense of any form of entertainment.

Thats not saying Garrard plays that way, I genuinely don't know his style, but few good footballing sides come out of that division.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 11:06:54 »

I think style of play is a pretty divisive issue.

Personally would have been happy to play the Flitcroft way and win the league. I don't necessarily think the two are compatible mind. Winning, and a general feeling of a going somewhere are more important to me than style.

Truth be told, Spain/Barcelona at their best to me was long periods of the mixed in with periods of utter brilliance.

I can't be the only one, can i?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 11:10:58 »

I can't be the only one, can i?

Nope

Given a choice I’ll take winning over style
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 11:14:57 »

PV
 Not sure where you heard Lincoln played "good" football.  Good football when you've been on a slide like the Red Imps is winning football. Lincoln fall to the Conference was on the back of appointing Chris Sutton, a decent enough player but completely clueless about lower league football. Then what seemed a decent appointment Steve Tlilson like Brown ex Sarfend with a good record.... he finished the job, too many draws.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 11:18:10 »

I think you answered your own question, Swindon fans don't really like football.

Actually it appears like Swindon fans don’t like Swindon Smiley
Peter Venkman

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 11:34:16 »

PV
 Not sure where you heard Lincoln played "good" football.  Good football when you've been on a slide like the Red Imps is winning football. Lincoln fall to the Conference was on the back of appointing Chris Sutton, a decent enough player but completely clueless about lower league football. Then what seemed a decent appointment Steve Tlilson like Brown ex Sarfend with a good record.... he finished the job, too many draws.
I had heard it from several Lincoln fans TBH, a couple saying its the best football they had seen in 20+ years of watching the Imps. I had heard a few others comment on them being a decent footballing side but I had not seen them myself until the 2 games this season.

Actually it appears like Swindon fans don’t like Swindon Smiley
True Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: