Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newport County v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 37459 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 15:28:51 »

It seems that several expected us to be top 3 because we're Swindon in Div 4

No it doesn't. There were several people who said they expected us to be top 3, all of them explicitly said it wasn't because we were Swindon in Div 4. It's bad enough when you do the "many think" shit without any evidence, but when you flatly ignore what people have actually said, come on?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 15:54:52 »

League position alone is no measure of someones subjective opinion.  Take the Premier League season - statistically our worst season ever, yet I enjoyed quite a bit of it.  Having watched all bar one of the league games this season, it has been a shit season to watch.  I won't remember any of it fondly.

Was there a real threat it could have been worse, of course there was.  It could have been the single worst season in our history, but it wasn't, but it was still shit.  If we had somehow sneaked into the play offs (as we probably should have done with the original squad assembled) it would still probably have been a shit season.  There have been very few games that were enjoyable, both in winning and in defeat.

I thought we had enough in the squad to sneak a top seven finish, certainly not top 3.  I maintain, despite my criticism of players, that when the relative quality we have faced is put into the equation, we still had enough for top 7.  We could very well finish 8th or 9th, so close to that.

On the subject of Brown and Flitcroft - the people saying we could do well under him are probably not just taking his time here, but his record at this level.  He wasn't the sort of person I'd want, but I have seen evidence of changes - the problem is the timing was all wrong.  Our defence was fucked by the time he arrived, so I'd like to see what he can do with a summer behind him.  With a "reasonable" budget and some replacements that fit the way he wants the team to set-up, there is a good chance he can create some marginal improvements on this term at least.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 15:58:06 »

No it doesn't. There were several people who said they expected us to be top 3, all of them explicitly said it wasn't because we were Swindon in Div 4. It's bad enough when you do the "many think" shit without any evidence, but when you flatly ignore what people have actually said, come on?

Altered for you. It makes no difference to the substantive point.

ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 16:01:38 »

I did get a result yesterday, discovering the Cellar Door micro pub and £3 a pint 6% scrumpy....wonderful.

Nice IPA as well, I was sat at the bar in the corner!!!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 16:35:49 »

League position alone is no measure of someones subjective opinion.  Take the Premier League season - statistically our worst season ever, yet I enjoyed quite a bit of it. 

Prem season was our highest ever finish in the pyramid 22/92. We're presently 77/92. Might be why you enjoyed it
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 16:45:08 »

Prem season was our highest ever finish in the pyramid 22/92. We're presently 77/92. Might be why you enjoyed it

But by the tried and tested % of games won in a season algorithm it was our worst, was it not?

Things get better but they never get good
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 19:23:09 »

Jesus Christ Reg, there's more to life than fucking statistics. Or maybe you're on a massive wind up in which case, well done - I fell for it, H, L and S... Roll Eyes
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 22:13:07 »

Look on the bright side - by staying down, we may get to play the yellow filth gain
Flashheart

« Reply #218 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 05:26:13 »

Look on the bright side - by staying down, we may get to play the yellow filth gain

Possible, but unlikely. On account of being at the bottom, the other clubs below them are unlikely to be picking up many points themselves and unlikely to overtake Oxford. Still quite precarious for the Pox, though.

It would be good, though. They appear to be somewhat of a trainwreck at the moment.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 06:51:55 »

I think their win at the weekend pretty much confirmed they’ll be staying up

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 07:44:21 »

Jesus Christ Reg, there's more to life than fucking statistics. Or maybe you're on a massive wind up in which case, well done - I fell for it, H, L and S... Roll Eyes

It's quite simple really, Rob was saying that despite a season 93/94 which only contained 5 wins as opposed to this season's 19, he enjoyed it more.  I suggested it might have been to do with the club being on a historic high.

That season we were getting doubled by the likes of Man City and Chelsea.... this season Newport and Cheltnum, who incidentally were both playing in the Southern League and Gloucestershire back then.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 08:23:29 »

I like the way Brown says he won’t name individuals who lack character or the wherewithal to put their bodies on the line, and then comments on numbers 2,5,6 and 3..

He’ll be here next season, I have no doubt. Not many of the present squad will - or those that are contracted won’t see the first XI again.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 09:31:08 »

I like the way Brown says he won’t name individuals who lack character or the wherewithal to put their bodies on the line, and then comments on numbers 2,5,6 and 3..

He’ll be here next season, I have no doubt. Not many of the present squad will - or those that are contracted won’t see the first XI again.

I would say it's more likely that the players who are contracted will still be here, but the manager who isn't won't. Your scenario would require Power to spend... something he's never been keen to do.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 09:42:58 »

I would say it's more likely that the players who are contracted will still be here, but the manager who isn't won't. Your scenario would require Power to spend... something he's never been keen to do.

Can you name a transfer window under Power where we haven't spent money?

Saturday was utter garbage. The football has, generally, been better under Power but the first half was one of the worst I've seen. The players just looked like they couldn't be arsed. 2nd half was better (but couldn't have been much worse). Mayo was a red card waiting to happen so no shock there although god knows how it took the ref about 5 minutes to actually decide it was a second yellow. McDermott (again) was a much better option wide when he came on and he, several times, ran about 20/30 yards to actually make a challenge.

Fans were shit, yet again, although under the circumstances I don't really blame them. However, sarcastically chanting for Moore when he made a save... I mean, it's a dick move anyway but when you're doing it 4 or 5 times it's not really ironic any more. Whoever got smashed by Hussey probably deserved it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Monday, April 16, 2018, 10:08:29 »

The football has, generally, been better under Power

Didn't have you down as one of them there CTs Tails Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: