Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newport County v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 37482 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #165 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:03:55 »

My first match was in 71. We are likely to have our second  lowest finish in that time. This follows on from a season that of total and utter ineptitude. The fact it's been less shit than last season is only because last season was so fucking desperately shit.
I don't see any reason not to expect more shit next season.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:05:16 »

Hahaha, this is so true but Reg will never listen. He'll always harp back to something that happened in the 70s as if it has any bearing on a completely different team with a completely different back room in a completely different decade. It's what he does.
So you don't think we have anything to learn from history? In the general sense or just in a sporting context?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:08:05 »

Previous seasons don't provide any context to this season. They are just that, previous seasons. The league is shit, we've been shit, therefore the season has been shit. How we've done in previous seasons doesn't influence that.

The point of a football match is to win... I know under Luke we lost sight of that, but if you win it's a good thing, you go and   Pint,  it makes you happy.  In no season have we won every game.... in no season have we lost every game. In a really good season you win maybe 25 or 26.... these seasons are rare. In a really poor season you maybe win 10/11, very occasionally there will be outliers either way.

19 wins means pretty average, if you took a median figure, perhaps slightly better than bog average.

Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:08:34 »

So you don't think we have anything to learn from history? In the general sense or just in a sporting context?

Of course you can learn from history in a general sense, but I will put my neck on the line and say the fact we lost to Charlton in 1963 has no bearing on how we'd play against Charlton tomorrow. At all.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Sir red ken

« Reply #169 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:11:45 »

My first match was in 71. We are likely to have our second  lowest finish in that time. This follows on from a season that of total and utter ineptitude. The fact it's been less shit than last season is only because last season was so fucking desperately shit.
I don't see any reason not to expect more shit next season.
Based on theat theory our cup of sh1te does run over and we are truly blessed.
Flashheart

« Reply #170 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:12:51 »

One (of many) problems with reg is that he'll use a game in 63 when we got walloped by Charlton to say we have no chance, as if a game in 75 when we hammered them doesn't count.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:16:16 »

The point of a football match is to win... I know under Luke we lost sight of that, but if you win it's a good thing, you go and   Pint,  it makes you happy.  In no season have we won every game.... in no season have we lost every game. In a really good season you win maybe 25 or 26.... these seasons are rare. In a really poor season you maybe win 10/11, very occasionally there will be outliers either way.

19 wins means pretty average, if you took a median figure, perhaps slightly better than bog average.

I don't see your point Reg. History is not a barometer as to whether or not this season has been successful. I'll say it again, the league is shit, we've been shit. The conclusion is self explanatory. There won't be many who see it another way, at least not many who regularly attend games & have to watch this week in week out.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:34:20 »

I don't see your point Reg. History is not a barometer as to whether or not this season has been successful. I'll say it again, the league is shit, we've been shit. The conclusion is self explanatory. There won't be many who see it another way, at least not many who regularly attend games & have to watch this week in week out.

We're in the 4th tier of English football, it's never been great.... we know that.

The historical context is provided by the fact that largely speaking the game has always been XI v XI, in a 40 something games season, on a rectangular grass pitch of minimum dimensions. Further there has always been and continues to be 3 outcomes for a completed game.

This provides a useful bank of historical data.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:40:49 »

We're in the 4th tier of English football, it's never been great.... we know that.

The historical context is provided by the fact that largely speaking the game has always been XI v XI, in a 40 something games season, on a rectangular grass pitch of minimum dimensions. Further there has always been and continues to be 3 outcomes for a completed game.

This provides a useful bank of historical data.
If you are assessing this season in purely statistical terms against previous seasons without taking into context the variables, like the standard of the league, expectations of the fan base (both pre-season & ongoing), signings, injuries/bans etc then your point stands. However I'm looking at it purely from July 1st, taking all these variables into consideration. If you'd offered me where we are now at the start of the season, would I have taken it? The answer is no. I wanted better, I expected better & if this is a reasonable season in your eyes then fair enough.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Flashheart

« Reply #174 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:59:04 »

Reg was loving it when we went down last season. That's where his barometer is.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 20:04:09 »

Of course you can learn from history in a general sense, but I will put my neck on the line and say the fact we lost to Charlton in 1963 has no bearing on how we'd play against Charlton tomorrow. At all.
No but that wasn't what Reg was saying in this instance, he was quoting a general trend over a period of years. Many factors will have changed within that time (much as they would in a geopolitical context, if, for example, you wanted to draw lessons from the 1930s for today's climate) but there is enough of a similar context to draw comparisons. I get as impatient with the "In the 1970s before Thatcher ruined everything, a working man could buy a Rolls Royce for tuppence 'appeny and still have change for chips" anecdotes as anyone but I think you're being a bit unfair here.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 20:12:18 »

If you are assessing this season in purely statistical terms against previous seasons without taking into context the variables, like the standard of the league, expectations of the fan base (both pre-season & ongoing), signings, injuries/bans etc then your point stands. However I'm looking at it purely from July 1st, taking all these variables into consideration. If you'd offered me where we are now at the start of the season, would I have taken it? The answer is no. I wanted better, I expected better & if this is a reasonable season in your eyes then fair enough.

This is what I said at the outset of this season by way of expectations.....

"However, the infrastructure of the club is still Div 4/ upper Conference level, so Flitcroft will be doing well to achieve anything other than respectablity with his collection of journeymen."

I think he achieved respectabilty, with the odd little run which suggested maybe something a bit better, so about what I expected.

Now, had Power built us a new shiny training facility, which suggested the club was moving forward....
adje

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 20:13:22 »

Well reg's initial point was(I think) that if you were to use the other 2 relegated teams as examples of having a shit season,we have been better than that.And that is a fact

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 20:16:32 »

Reg was loving it when we went down last season. That's where his barometer is.

My barometer hangs on the wall in the hall.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 20:19:06 »

But we’re you expecting better solely because we were in L2, ergo, we must surely do well, despite the obvious dodgy signings by the Flit Meister?

I don’t think even my own low expectations quite envisaged having the double done over us by Newport fucking County. The fact that we struggled consistently despite it being a rotten, shit league does worry me, though.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: