Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town - Official Matchday Thread  (Read 38088 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 10:07:40 »

You are lucky mate, when we were in this league under Beamish that was an absolute low, lowest finish, worst football, smallest crowds, utterly terrible and we could not see where the club was going until Lowndes Lambert put the money in for Macari.

I don't want to go back to those times ever.

Yes, I've heard they were dire.

How close are we to them now? I guess it really depends on whether Power delivers on his plans.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 10:38:21 »

It's all just a bit Meh really isn't it..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 10:42:11 »

How close are we to them now? I guess it really depends on whether Power delivers on his plans.

The comparison to 83/84 have exercised me a lot of late....  in many ways completely different. However I've argued before with PV about the quality of that side, and although not great, I don't think it was that bad... ended up with 58 points in new money and a GD of +2.  Also reached 4th round of cup.  Home form was traditional Swindon.... decent.... away terrible.

Off the field, even more different..... the Town and it's links to the club have been more or less completely snapped by the relentless march of Thatcherite neoliberalism, then starting to be unleashed. 

What does feel similar is the sense of atrophy.... of a club going backwards.  Ironically, it was this feel that led to the Change of Articles of Association.... moving from one share one vote, to allowing a majority shareholder to wield power. It was hoped this would lead to wealthy individuals being prepared to put in money to avoid the ever present financial difficulties.  The consequences of that decision could be described as checkered at best and now with Power feels like a full circle, back to atrophy.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #228 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 10:42:50 »

Football wise even our worst league performance of the season was as about the same as our best performance that year.

I don't think we will ever see sub 2,000 attendance for a league game again the crowd of 1,681 for the visit of Darlington was the lowest crowd we have ever had post war for a league game at the CG.

It was terrible.

« Last Edit: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 10:45:42 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #229 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 10:45:11 »

The comparison to 83/84 have exercised me a lot of late....  in many ways completely different. However I've argued before with PV about the quality of that side, and although not great, I don't think it was that bad... ended up with 58 points in new money and a GD of +2.  Also reached 4th round of cup.  Home form was traditional Swindon.... decent.... away terrible.

Off the field, even more different..... the Town and it's links to the club have been more or less completely snapped by the relentless march of Thatcherite neoliberalism, then starting to be unleashed.  

What does feel similar is the sense of atrophy.... of a club going backwards.  Ironically, it was this feel that led to the Change of Articles of Association.... moving from one share one vote, to allowing a majority shareholder to wield power. It was hoped this would lead to wealthy individuals being prepared to put in money to avoid the ever present financial difficulties.  The consequences of that decision could be described as checkered at best and now with Power feels like a full circle, back to atrophy.
Never argued always discussed Wink

I agree the quality of the individuals we had was excellent, they could not play as a team how Beamish wanted, he was all boot it high, hard and long for the wingers/strikers to chase. It wasn't attractive to watch but produced some good goals all said and done.

I agree about the feeling around the club, utter despondancy and not knowing where the next pay cheque for the players was coming from.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 10:47:13 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:10:40 »

Never argued always discussed Wink

I agree the quality of the individuals we had was excellent, they could not play as a team how Beamish wanted, he was all boot it high, hard and long for the wingers/strikers to chase. It wasn't attractive to watch but produced some good goals all said and done.

I agree about the feeling around the club, utter despondancy and not knowing where the next pay cheque for the players was coming from.

Its fun to discuss  Smiley

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for that season.... yes it wasn't great, but its end overlapped the start of the Miner's Strike... further I'd met the wife to be, and she seemed to quite enjoy standing in an empty TE on a freezing Feb day watching us edge out Stockport.

Further some great music.....  how cool was this....

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:21:11 »

Cheers both
Peter Venkman

« Reply #232 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:34:48 »

The wierd thing was that I actually went to 44 matches that season only missing Chesterfield and Doncaster both away, I was one of about 60 Town fans that made the trip to a wet windy Sealand Road on a Wednesday night  in a crowd of just 880.

I think a lot of Town fans actually enjoyed that season in a sadistic kind of way, we were shit and we know we were and as you say had a good FA cup run that season too the away game at Kettering because we stuffed them 7-0 and the trouble from Cobblers fans.

Also the game at Carlisle when we took about 1,000 up there courtesy of the BR special train that had a window smash a few seats away from where I was sat as we passed Crewe and the Carlisle police not having enough on duty to search all the Town fans and calling in extras from Newcastle to help.

There were some good games that year I agree but there were a lot of utterly shambolic ones, the last game away at Bury when we were terrible and had a player sent off and the only game I have ever left early from (partly due to poor connections back to Victoria to get us home on the train from Piccadilly.

Doncaster were the only side to beat us by more than 2 goals that season but the quality for me was the worst I have seen. We had a run of 8 or 9 matches when we didn't win and a couple of runs of 4 or 5 defeats in a row also.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:38:52 »

There should be a 1681 club reunion.  Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:48:50 »

Our lowest league position for some time and therefore clearly our worst team in years! The style of football has been terrible to watch, no one or two players to enjoy watching, nobody in that team with potential to do decently in league one.

Its interesting what different football fans value some times.

God knows why i have bought my season ticket for next season.

So using your logic (?) the team that got relegated from the Premier League was our best ever team as that was our highest ever league finish.

Better than the team with Hoddle & Calderwood that won promotion the year before.
Better than Ossies team, that most people agree would have faired better in the top flight.
Better than our League Cup winning heroes.

It also means that last seasons group of misfits were better than PDC’s champions

I would suggest your logic is flawed.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:50:52 »

I think a lot of Town fans actually enjoyed that season in a sadistic kind of way, we were shit and we know we were and as you say had a good FA cup run that season too the away game at Kettering because we stuffed them 7-0 and the trouble from Cobblers fans.
I was drinking in a social club when those Cobblers fans came in - lost me pint as well. Mind you, they got it back in spades when we went there under Macari.

That train window smash was caused by another train going past with a door open. If that had happened now I’d have thought a bomb had gone off!

Like you, I used to go to nearly every game in those days, but I honestly can’t remember much about any of them. I was generally well pissed up mind.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 12:22:48 »

There should be a 1681 club reunion.  Smiley

Going back, to a season just before then.... my mind wanders to 82, which ended up with the notorious Newport relegation game, when many (including some on here) got a free night's accommodation courtesy of Heddlu de Cymru.

The game which sticks was at Elm Park in Feb.... the crowd was 4,100 and there were 41 arrests.  It ended 1-1, it was Ken Beamish's only start...  John Trollope fielded a side where 8 players came through the youth system.  In the Reading XI were Kerry Dixon and Neil Webb, both of whom went on to play for Engand.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 12:25:14 »

That train window smash was caused by another train going past with a door open. If that had happened now I’d have thought a bomb had gone off!

Wasn't that on the special train on the way up to Newcastle for the FA Cup game a few seasons later?
Missed the first half hour when it was still 0-0. Lost 5-0 and as it later transpired, an unorthodox method of covering travel expenses used by the club.

Then again, BR trains with open doors were probably not uncommon in those days.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #238 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 12:28:10 »

Going back, to a season just before then.... my mind wanders to 82, which ended up with the notorious Newport relegation game, when many (including some on here) got a free night's accommodation courtesy of Heddlu de Cymru.

The game which sticks was at Elm Park in Feb.... the crowd was 4,100 and there were 41 arrests.  It ended 1-1, it was Ken Beamish's only start...  John Trollope fielded a side where 8 players came through the youth system.  In the Reading XI were Kerry Dixon and Neil Webb, both of whom went on to play for Engand.
I was lucky, the long arm of a Heddlu came over and I ducked and the bloke next to me got arrested, they were just randomly arresting Town fans that day.

The away game at Reading you speak about was one of the worst I have been to for trouble, well over 1,000 Town fans there that day and my mate was stabbed in the back between the shoulder blades by a Reading fan. Nasty.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #239 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 12:29:47 »

Wasn't that on the special train on the way up to Newcastle for the FA Cup game a few seasons later?
Missed the first half hour when it was still 0-0. Lost 5-0 and as it later transpired, an unorthodox method of covering travel expenses used by the club.

Then again, BR trains with open doors were probably not uncommon in those days.
Yes the window smash was definately the Carlisle one and it did sound just like a bomb, the open door was on a parcels train passing us I think just south of Crewe.

Another window got a brick thrown at it a year after when we had a packed BR special going to Burnley in the FA Cup.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: