Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town - Official Matchday Thread  (Read 38058 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 20:54:20 »

I’m not trolling. Yeovil worth the point even though they fortunate with their second goal. Not sure if you watched the game or just relying on other people’s posts to make a judgement.
Come off it they did nothing all game, we gifted them their only chances. Main is was McGivern came on and was all over the place and didn’t win a single header, makes Robertson look assured, absolute waste of space.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 20:57:04 »

They should have had another with the header from close range and on several occasions we let them into our box far to easily.  The defensive shape was all over the place.  Taylor got both goals, but I wouldn't want to see him played wide right ever again.  Banks decided he was Hoddle today, which meant we got a right bag of Revels from him, unfortunately he isn't Hoddle, so for every great run and pass we got way more Coffee flavoured ones than you want from a player.

Keeper has such a deep starting position, it almost pulls the defenders further back.

Hussey got into some great positions and delivered nothing.

Thought the front two worked well first half, Woollery then got a niggle and once Mullin came on it was all over the place.

Not so sure on Twine as others seem to be.  Lots of effort, not sure what else though.

Dunne was Dunne.

It's so frustrating, because you can see some good things being attempted now, much more effort to mix play up, but it's all having to be thought about rather than it being habitual.  When the pressure comes on them, they revert to Flitcroft's lump and see approach, and the two don't mix well.  If we just kept hold of the hot potato in the second half we probably see that game out.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:02:39 »

Not sure you watched the game or are relying on twitter?

Yeovil were very average, we just defended poorly, the handball cost us a win in the end.

Don’t mean to be funny but if you read the last 4 match game threads you always say Swindon are the better team and deserved to win.  It reminds me a little of Mark Lawrenson who every week predicts Liverpool to win. Based on your posts, Swindon should be top of the league and doing a Man City.

I just think you are a little biased towards Swindon (which is fair enough as you support them).  I just read other people’s posts on this forum and they seem to have watched a similar game to me and are not frightened to say Swindon were shit or didn’t deserve to win.

Swindon did not dominate the game tonight and a team going for the playoffs should be beating teams like Yeovil who have nothing to play for. I think Yeovil had players missing as well from red cards on Saturday.

I appreciate PB is changing the way we play and am glad we have him over Flitcroft. None the less Swindon got a fair result tonight.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:02:44 »

I like coffee Revels, Banks must have been amazing!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:14:00 »

Brown is clearly trying to change our approach, and as Reg keeps pointing out, we have very few players on our books at season end.  Normal logic says wholesale changes are a bad thing, I'm not so sure.  I think another overhaul would help Brown out.

I can think of Richards and Taylor who are worth retaining, Preston and Controy if they recover from injury worth giving a shot to and Knoyle has looked like a player who could develop.  Woollery has something that I hope Brown can shine.

Beyond that, you could replace them all with any other player in this league and not notice, based on watching the 40 odd games so far.  So even poor recruitment gets us back to square one.  The hope would be that Brown could improve the quality in a couple of positions though and spend a pre-season working on the tactical side.  I was worried about him before he came, but I'd actually be more confident now going into next season than I would be if Flitcroft had stayed and got us into a Play Off final that we lost.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:14:15 »

We hardly drew any games under Flitters, football is strange.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:23:05 »

Swindon did not dominate the game tonight and a team going for the playoffs should be beating teams like Yeovil who have nothing to play for. I think Yeovil had players missing as well from red cards on Saturday.

The thing about the Div  4 PO's going down to 7th, is that it rightly keeps the season going for a number of teams, but you don't end up 9th like us by being particularly great..... so for example only 6 teams have conceded more goals.  Therefore an assumption like we should beat teams is pointless, history shows it's difficult to win games at the back end of a season.

In Div 4 many players will be playing for contracts for next season, or it could be they're young lads like Twine coming in, who are keen to do well.  Therefore something to play for...

Newport will be similar on Saturday.... a hard game.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:27:18 »

We could win the last four, Newport and ColU mid table, Grimsby lower/mid and Accrington already promoted by the time we play them. COYR.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:28:36 »

Well, that's that then.

Totally lost it in midfield today, Yeovil's was better than ours in the second half. Think Brown was a bit off pinning it all on the defenders. Thought Twine did very well, all things considered. Seems to have a reasonable calmness and awareness that already looks better than say Woolery's.

Richards has been a brilliant signing, but he was fairly poor again today. Good flick ons, but poor hold up play.

But as I say, midfield lost it. Gave Yeovil too much time and space.

In summary no lack of effort or desire. No personal blame. Just completely devoid of the required quality.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:30:32 »

We hardly drew any games under Flitters, football is strange.

Had we managed to get a point from promising positions like at Cheltnum, at Grimsby, at Wycombe and say home to ColU.... it could have been so different, but we didn't because not quite good enough defensively... not massively far away.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:33:24 »

Not sure you watched the game or are relying on twitter?

Yeovil were very average, we just defended poorly, the handball cost us a win in the end.

Sorry Venks, but tonight I don't have much argument with Yeovil getting a point. We probably edged it but they always looked like they would score. The equaliser was always coming at that time, and we didn't really ever look comfortable at the back. We were OK going forward, though didn't create that much clear cut to be honest.
1989Monkey

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:37:03 »

A game where we did deserve to win. For those that disagree if you go back and watch the first half again we should easily have been 3-0 up. Im not saying thats because we played well but more that Yeovil were shit. Hence the double sub at half time. Second half we dropped far too deep and invited pressure but had plenty of chances on the counter to finish the game but the final ball was often wasted.

The keeper situation is a bit of a joke. I would rather us play henry purely for the experience and welcome Vigs back for the new season.

Defence - Providing Conroy and Preston recover well then I think we only need a few replacements. Sign Hussey and extend Knoyle and with Lancashire and Purkiss as cover that appears to be a fairly solid league 2 defence. The main thing a league 2 defence needs to be able to do is head the ball something are back line were not able to do once lancashire went off.

Midfield - This is the big area we need strengthening. Was very impressed with Twine tonight but need to see him for the rest of the season before making a judgement but it showed how much a bit of passion goes with youth players. I think smith will play a large part next season if Brown remains in charge. We will probably get 1 more year out of Taylor before his legs go.

Strikers - Richards will get you 20 goals a season in league 2 but we need to find someone to play off him. I like Woolery but he lacks intelligence with his final ball or runs. If Cox is out of contract in the summer then Brown may be able to persuade him to come home.

As frustrating as these last 4 games have been its actually giving me a strange confidence for next year. I think Brown could build a strong team. Just a shame we can’t end this season now and get rid of the deadwood.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #147 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:37:27 »

Thought twine did enough to keep his place. Difficult to pick any other decent performances. Should have seen the game out but we didn't. Their no 7 looked decent.
There was a 10 minute spell in the first half where we fucked around at the back I thought luke was back in charge.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:39:21 by chalkies_shorts » Logged
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:37:36 »

Sorry Venks, but tonight I don't have much argument with Yeovil getting a point. We probably edged it but they always looked like they would score. The equaliser was always coming at that time, and we didn't really ever look comfortable at the back. We were OK going forward, though didn't create that much clear cut to be honest.

Spot on. Exactly how I saw the match and hence thought a draw was a fair result.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 21:41:38 »

It's just shit conceding in the last minute
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: