Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What’s surprised you this season?  (Read 10018 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 18:10:31 »

I never appreciated just how downright shit L2 is. Which makes it all the more worrying that we have meandered for much of the season.

There are few players from opposing teams that I’d fancy playing for us - nobody has really stood out. It’s all very meh.

It really shouldn’t take that much to get out of it, surely.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 18:30:58 »

Yeah, seems to be a reasonable gap between the football played in league 1 and 2.

What's surprised me? 1. That we were/are very close to the playoffs despite losing so many 2. The shit home form and amazing away form early early doors 3. Flitcroft jumping ship to Mansfield at such a critical time of the season
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 18:32:18 »

I'd take cheltenhams no 6. Jamal Campbell ryce was a bit good. I'd take the beast even for next season. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 20:41:11 »

That our manager could leave in March and I wouldn't really give a fuck

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 20:58:50 »

I'm pleasantly surprised that my support for Swindon hasn't wained, at all, during what is probably the most lacklustre/dull season I've experienced as an active Town fan.

I wasn't over-the-moon nor was I furious when Flitcroft bailed. There was just that feeling of 'oh. of course he has' - that was surprising to me.

Peoples expectations of L2 football never ceases to amaze me. It has always been grim and now we are contributing to its ugliness. We laboured in 2006/07 to squeeze in to the automatics. Promotion during our entertaining season with PDC also went on longer than one would have wished for (not a criticism). The signings Flitcroft made were mostly sound but they were not going to intimidate rivals. Perhaps if Richards signed earlier? Who knows?

I've been a little bit surprised with the lack of outrage RE: The Vigouroux farce. It's clear that he's tough to work with but I doubt Vigs is a Nile Ranger type. Flitcroft jeopardised his Town career with that dispute and scarpered at the earliest opportunity. Thanks for that, Dave  Roll Eyes
normy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 07:39:18 »

That we didn't end up relegated again.

ust be the oldest
Sir red ken

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 09:10:22 »

That we didn't end up relegated again.
Yep, that's what I think.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 10:22:17 »

I'm pleasantly surprised that my support for Swindon hasn't wained, at all, during what is probably the most lacklustre/dull season I've experienced as an active Town fan.

I wasn't over-the-moon nor was I furious when Flitcroft bailed. There was just that feeling of 'oh. of course he has' - that was surprising to me.

Peoples expectations of L2 football never ceases to amaze me. It has always been grim and now we are contributing to its ugliness. We laboured in 2006/07 to squeeze in to the automatics. Promotion during our entertaining season with PDC also went on longer than one would have wished for (not a criticism). The signings Flitcroft made were mostly sound but they were not going to intimidate rivals. Perhaps if Richards signed earlier? Who knows?

I've been a little bit surprised with the lack of outrage RE: The Vigouroux farce. It's clear that he's tough to work with but I doubt Vigs is a Nile Ranger type. Flitcroft jeopardised his Town career with that dispute and scarpered at the earliest opportunity. Thanks for that, Dave  Roll Eyes

You may have a point, however, I tend to feel and have done for a number of years that the constant exposure to premier league and European footy tends to rub off on everyone in as much as it raises expectations of what we should be seeing at the CG.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 10:43:17 »

That our manager could leave in March and I wouldn't really give a fuck
This.

We all knew L2 was shit but TBH the terrible standard has surprised me a little bit.

The other thing surprised me was how shit Lincoln were after hearing great things about their style, their style was kick us hard all the time, fall over like they had been snipered and hit a massive high ball into the box at every opportunity (with that fucking siren going off).

Another thing that has surprised me is that there is not one stand out team at all, we outplayed Luton for 3 halves of 4 in the 2 games (yes we gave in too easily in that other 1/4) and we went to Accrington and matched them but they hit us on the break for the winner.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 13:22:17 »

That the hope has got me...again.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 14:11:51 »

How David Flitcroft is a football league manager.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 14:29:06 »

That there are still around 6,000 Town fans rolling up for home games.

I dunno, just thought that we would be much 'better' than how it's panned out so far.
Surprised that a coach who apparently nearly landed a job in the England setup couldn't come up with a better game plan, but then again...

As for the opposition, I'd have the lad Eisa from Cheltenham, looks a good striker destined for better things.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 14:50:48 »

TBF of all the strikers we have come up against this season only 3 have impressed me and thats Hylton of Luton, Akinfenwa of Wycombe (despite his lack of pace he run us ragged), and ex Town player Kayden Jackson at Accrington, the rest have looked fairly average against our poor defence.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 14:59:29 »

I'd take cheltenhams no 6. Jamal Campbell ryce was a bit good. I'd take the beast even for next season. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten.
Yup on all those.

Surprised that a coach who apparently nearly landed a job in the England setup couldn't come up with a better game plan, but then again...
Although we only had his word on that didn't we? Talks a good fight, full of shit when it comes down to it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 17:37:01 »

Our manager going causing little to no reaction positive or negative.

Paul Mullin's game time.
Know very little about him but has seemed to have made a decent lower league career out of scoring goals yet we seem to have him out wide (where he has still chipped in) or on the bench, must have the best goals to minutes ratio in our squad.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: